D
Dcr36I just want to say, HOLY CRAP COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS ABOUT TO START!
I thought during this off-season, that my love and interest for the game would start to diminish. I'm happy to say it didn't. Not just BYU football, either. It's my favorite sport being played in my favorite league by my favorite teams.
Things I love about CFB:
-College stadiums. Nothing beats the ambiance of the best of them. I feel like they've become what the great baseball stadiums were to our grandparents - the birthing grounds for memories, miracles, history. Kind of quasi-spiritual.
-Tailgate parties, BBQs at the house with the satellite dish, watching 4 games at once on ESPN3.
-Upsets. Because they're actually upsets. What is the NFL equivalent of App. State beating Michigan in the Big House? I don't think their could be one. A team can be out-spent, out-recruited, out-cheered, out-covered and completely overlooked and still walk away with a W.
-Rivalries. Maybe because it's the only honest-to-goodness GREAT rivalry we've got in our backyard. But if you were there in person for 4th-and-18, or Hall-to-George, or something more distant, I'm sure its a feeling you'll remember forever. (My wife was at RES for Beck-to-Harline, probably the only time I've really envied someone at RES.)
-Sports misery. CFB is one of the few things that can make me feel bummed out in a manageable way, if that makes sense.
-Bowl season, for all its flaws. It always seems to produce a couple killer games where you totally weren't expecting it. It rewards time commitment (and comes during winter break so it doesn't interfere with my studies).
I thought during this off-season, that my love and interest for the game would start to diminish. I'm happy to say it didn't. Not just BYU football, either. It's my favorite sport being played in my favorite league by my favorite teams.
Things I love about CFB:
-College stadiums. Nothing beats the ambiance of the best of them. I feel like they've become what the great baseball stadiums were to our grandparents - the birthing grounds for memories, miracles, history. Kind of quasi-spiritual.
-Tailgate parties, BBQs at the house with the satellite dish, watching 4 games at once on ESPN3.
-Upsets. Because they're actually upsets. What is the NFL equivalent of App. State beating Michigan in the Big House? I don't think their could be one. A team can be out-spent, out-recruited, out-cheered, out-covered and completely overlooked and still walk away with a W.
-Rivalries. Maybe because it's the only honest-to-goodness GREAT rivalry we've got in our backyard. But if you were there in person for 4th-and-18, or Hall-to-George, or something more distant, I'm sure its a feeling you'll remember forever. (My wife was at RES for Beck-to-Harline, probably the only time I've really envied someone at RES.)
-Sports misery. CFB is one of the few things that can make me feel bummed out in a manageable way, if that makes sense.
-Bowl season, for all its flaws. It always seems to produce a couple killer games where you totally weren't expecting it. It rewards time commitment (and comes during winter break so it doesn't interfere with my studies).

