Archived Topic

"Church of Latter Day Saints" comments by announcers

by Ball4 · 8/30/2011

Advertisement
B
Ball4
Is anyone else but me bothered by announcers and other commentators saying BYU players are from the "Church of Latter Day Saints", completly leaving out Jesus Christ?



The Redskins/Ravens game, Tirico (sp?) talked about John Beck and his mission for the "Church of Latter Day Saints". I think it totaly defeats the purpose and mission of the church when said like that. I think I would prefer "Mormons" vs "The Church of Latter Day Saints".



It got me thinking...are the announcers not supposed to mention Jesus Christ in commentary unless they are taking the Lord's name in vain? It seems that's the only time it's mentioned on TV.



Just venting.



Thanks,
S
SpiffCoug
It only bothers me when the next story is about Warren Jeffs and THEN they get the name right.
C
Cougy_Monster
I think some of the media truly just miss the point and don't do it on purpose.



This is the Church's official media request:


While the term "Mormon Church" has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use.



When writing about the Church, please follow these guidelines:



In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Please avoid the use of "Mormon Church", "LDS Church" or the "Church of the Latter-day Saints".

When a shortened reference is needed, the terms "the Church" or "the Church of Jesus Christ" are encouraged.

When referring to Church members, the term "Latter-day Saints" is preferred, though "Mormons" is acceptable.

"Mormon" is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon, Mormon Tabernacle Choir or Mormon Trail, or when used as an adjective in such expressions as "Mormon pioneers."

The term "Mormonism" is acceptable in describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, the terms "Mormons," "Mormon fundamentalist," "Mormon dissidents," etc. are incorrect. The Associated Press Stylebook notes: "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other ... churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith's death."


click this link to read it for yourself. http://newsroom.lds.org/style-guide
8
88Coug
I have noticed this a lot recently as well and it really annoys. Of course, Boyd K.'s talk from last conference stated the reason why we need to use the full and correct name --- it is part of our testimony of our savior, ala 2 Nephi -- "We speak of Christ, etc."



By using the terms Mormons or Church of Latter Day Saints, it is a subtle way to remove our savior and our testimony of him.
S
snoscythe
Meh. I don't mind one way or another really. I used to care when the Church first came out and asked members to stop referring to themselves as mormons and to use the full name of the church. Fast forward ten or so years and the Church is in the midst of a media blitz of calling its members "Mormons" with the "I'm a Mormon" campaign and the recent drive for all members to set up their "I'm a Mormon" profiles on Mormon.org.



I don't think in the end it really matters what you call the church as long as the gospel, authority, ordinances and covenants are all in place.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
Meh. I don't mind one way or another really. I used to care when the Church first came out and asked members to stop referring to themselves as mormons and to use the full name of the church. Fast forward ten or so years and the Church is in the midst of a media blitz of calling its members "Mormons" with the "I'm a Mormon" campaign and the recent drive for all members to set up their "I'm a Mormon" profiles on Mormon.org.



I don't think in the end it really matters what you call the church as long as the gospel, authority, ordinances and covenants are all in place.


Except by leaving out Jesus Christ, it feeds into the already heated debated that Mormons aren't Christians. I think certain groups, especially in the Midwest, prefer calling us Latter day saints or Mormons because they don't like associating us with Jesus Christ.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
BYULV wrote:
Except by leaving out Jesus Christ, it feeds into the already heated debated that Mormons aren't Christians. I think certain groups, especially in the Midwest, prefer calling us Latter day saints or Mormons because they don't like associating us with Jesus Christ.


I'll choose to be offended by it once the Church's PR arm decides to stop feeding it. I'll do my best to not refer to members as 'Mormons,' but it's hard to get upset at outsiders who use it or get the name wrong when the Church PR people are positively reinforcing those references. I'm not saying Pres. Packer isn't right, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised or offended when people who have never even heard his name, much less that he is an apostle, haven't gotten the memo.



It's not their fault--it's a sins of the fathers thing that we are just now trying to correct. If the church is out there validating the use of the term 'Mormon' by non-lds people, why should we be offended by that? President Packer's words were directed to the members on their own usage and educating their neighbors....not on condemning those who doesn't know any better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
Except by leaving out Jesus Christ, it feeds into the already heated debated that Mormons aren't Christians. I think certain groups, especially in the Midwest, prefer calling us Latter day saints or Mormons because they don't like associating us with Jesus Christ.


I'll choose to be offended by it once the Church's PR arm decides to stop feeding it. I'll do my best to not refer to members as 'Mormons,' but it's hard to get upset at outsiders who use it or get the name wrong when the Church PR people are positively reinforcing those references. I'm not saying Pres. Packer isn't right, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised or offended when people who have never even heard his name, much less that he is an apostle, haven't gotten the memo.



It's not their fault--it's a sins of the fathers thing that we are just now trying to correct. If the church is out there validating the use of the term 'Mormon' by non-lds people, why should we be offended by that? President Packer's words were directed to the members on their own usage and educating their neighbors....not on condemning those who doesn't know any better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The term Mormon is understandable, I'm not at all offended by it, but calling us the Church of Latter Day Saints, especially by media outlets is either lazy reporting or a blatant misrepresentation of the Church. There is no excuse for professional journalists, broadcasters or announcers to use the incorrect name of a church.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
Something tells me that NFL analysts on the networks aren't particularly concerned or bound by AP style conventions when referring to the Church on air.
S
SpiffCoug
I do find it a somewhat interesting phenomon that Mormons insist on being called Christians while basically believing no other Christian religion (or any religion) is the true religion of Christ.



We seem to want to be included in a group we are excluding ourselves.
Advertisement
B
Ball4
BYULV wrote:
BYULV wrote:
Except by leaving out Jesus Christ, it feeds into the already heated debated that Mormons aren't Christians. I think certain groups, especially in the Midwest, prefer calling us Latter day saints or Mormons because they don't like associating us with Jesus Christ.


I'll choose to be offended by it once the Church's PR arm decides to stop feeding it. I'll do my best to not refer to members as 'Mormons,' but it's hard to get upset at outsiders who use it or get the name wrong when the Church PR people are positively reinforcing those references. I'm not saying Pres. Packer isn't right, I'm just saying we shouldn't be surprised or offended when people who have never even heard his name, much less that he is an apostle, haven't gotten the memo.



It's not their fault--it's a sins of the fathers thing that we are just now trying to correct. If the church is out there validating the use of the term 'Mormon' by non-lds people, why should we be offended by that? President Packer's words were directed to the members on their own usage and educating their neighbors....not on condemning those who doesn't know any better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The term Mormon is understandable, I'm not at all offended by it, but calling us the Church of Latter Day Saints, especially by media outlets is either lazy reporting or a blatant misrepresentation of the Church. There is no excuse for professional journalists, broadcasters or announcers to use the incorrect name of a church.


Exactly my point Doc. One of the few words on regular TV programming that is not bleeped out is using Jesus Christ as a swear word. It happens on radio ALL the time. I listen to DC and the Sunshine Man here in Vegas when I commute home and DC uses it all the time. I just don't get the use of it as a swear word, but they can't use it as it was intended. :~(
8
88Coug
SpiffCoug wrote:
I do find it a somewhat interesting phenomon that Mormons insist on being called Christians while basically believing no other Christian religion (or any religion) is the true religion of Christ.



We seem to want to be included in a group we are excluding ourselves.


Right and wrong. There is one only true and living Church on this Earth.



At the same time, you do not tell others that they are not Christians because they lack the fullness of the gospel.



We don't tell others that they are pagans because they don't have the full understanding of the godhead.



We don't condemn them as infidels and say they worship Martin Luther or Roger Williams or Oral Roberts, etc.



Now, there may be some members who misunderstand this whole issue and may say inappropriate things, but we don't go around campaigning against political candidates because they are Methodists, Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Evangelicals, etc.
D
Dcr36
SpiffCoug wrote:
I do find it a somewhat interesting phenomon that Mormons insist on being called Christians while basically believing no other Christian religion (or any religion) is the true religion of Christ.



We seem to want to be included in a group we are excluding ourselves.


Not disagreeing with you, but a few thoughts.



1. While most Latter-Day Saints would assert that the Church is unique in possessing the fullness of the gospel, the priesthood, and so on, I don't think most of the LDS faith would assert those of other Christian denominations are NOT Christian. In church meetings, I've generally heard "Christian" defined as "one who follows Christ." I'm inclined to feel that those of other faiths who study the gospel of Christ and strive to live by its teachings fall under that category, even if the understanding of WHAT Christ taught varies from religion to religion.



I think it's because we consider "Christian" to be an easily-satisfied category (relatively speaking) that other faiths' refusal to include us seems both arbitrary and insulting. I don't care if they think Joseph Smith was a huckster and the BoM is a fabrication; by their tenets, they SHOULD think those things. But suggesting that followers of the LDS Church are somehow not followers of Christ, even if we do have a differing view and a wealth of "supplementary material," is the hard-to-swallow part.



2. Additionally, I think of your comment in relation to the Catholic Church, which also makes claims of being the sole possessor of apostolic authority. Granted, you'll find a fair number of Protestants who would posit that Catholicism is ALSO not a form of Christianity, but I think the majority view is that they are, and most informative/encyclopedic sources treat them as such. I think most LDS people just want similar treatment.



3. Finally, considering your comment in contrasting understandings of exaltation/condemnation in the next life. For a fair number of the denominations who are reluctant to consider Latter-Day Saints "Christians," the doctrine of salvation by grace is sacrosanct. As such, being "Christian" is closely linked to whether you'll be "saved" or "damned" in an either/or afterlife. This gives me a little more understanding/sympathy for those who don't want to call us "Christian"; if they think I'm going to burn in hell forever I suppose they would be reluctant to call me a "Christian." (Of course, I have problems with WHY they think I'm going to burn in hell. ;) ) But all in all, I think that's why Latter-Day Saints don't like the "Christian" exlusion - nobody likes being told they're gonna be spending forever chilling in a lava pit with Lucifer, whether directly or indirectly.



On the other hand, the LDS understanding of the afterlife and the necessary qualifications is vastly different. When I see those of other denominations (and other religions/philosophies) attending church and seeking to live a more Christlike life (being honest, meek, loving, forgiving, providing service to those in need, honoring promises made to God and/or to others) I can only assume they're improving their lot in the next life. Heck, if you bring temple ordinances into the picture, I can't even say with certainty if they're disqualified from receiving ALL possible blessings in the next life, whatever those may entail. So I think the "exclusions" of both sides are a little different - excluding LDS from "Christian" means quite a bit in terms of the final state of one's soul, while LDS excluding others from "the one true Church," while still a bold statement with many serious implications, doesn't necessarily mean as much in what its followers believe will happen to non-members in the hereafter.



SORRY! Having written this, it's probably too long and not totally appropriate for a football blog.



In response to the original poster, I'm pretty sure sports broadcasters aren't allowed to say Jesus Christ, in either the proper or pejorative sense. I think it's a strictly-TV thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen Woody Paige write our name properly, but when he was on Pardon the Interruption around the time we announced independence he referred to us as "Church of the Latter-Day Saints."
T
tmoney35
Here's a very simple answer to the original question: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is a mouthful of a title especially on air when you're got a lot you need to say and it's all happening very fast.



Granted, the church addressed that in their media request, saying the shortened named should be "The Church of Jesus Christ", but I highly doubt any sports announcers have read that.
H
hypercoug
The original name of the church in 1830 was "The Church of Christ"



In 1834, Joseph Smith changed the name of the church to "The Church of the Latter Day Saints"



In 1838, It changed to "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"



So, these announcers are actually using a correct name of the church, they are just 173 years out-of-date. Heheh.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I believe it's been said that any publicity is better than none. I am more concerned that Beck represents the church well than that announcers get things down just as we want them to. I would hope that they'd take time to learn a little more (I pray that everyone will). In the mean time we got mentioned.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.