Archived Topic

Put your $$ where your mouth is: Big XII or Indy?

by Lawboy · 8/30/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Would you prefer BYU join the Big XII for all sports or stay Indy w/ WCC?
B
BoiseBYU
Big 12, assuming adequate assurance of Big 12 longevity and acceptable TV broadcasting rights..
Q
Qman
From a purely selfish point of view I live in Houston. So them joining the Big 12 would perfect for me.
B
Brayden Green
Big 12, provided Texas and OU are contractually bound to stay or pay us $$$.



SuperCons will happen, leading to a playoff. This year, or the next, or the next.



The fans want it, and another one - or two - years of deserving teams getting slanted from BCS or NC games will be the last straw(s).
B
Brayden Green
(But, Indy is a great thing! But in an either/or situation, the above is my answer.)
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
BlueIsBetter wrote:
(But, Indy is a great thing! But in an either/or situation, the above is my answer.)

Agreed Big 12 >>>>Indie>>>>MWC in my humble book
R
redneckjedi
I voted Big XII. No brainer, really. I'm selfish and I live in Texas. :D
F
frdbtr
Big 12, it is where I wanted them when all the Indy talk was happening last year. The probablility of winning a BCS championship outside a BCS conference is so small that it isn't even thinkable. All BYU would need to do to do it from the Big 12, is win the conference championship with a 1 loss record. If they go indefeated, they are guaranteed a spot in the BCS championship game. Not to mention the regular season games with teams like Texas and OU coming to our place on a regular basis. There is no question that a Big 12 membership is better then independance.
J
jonnylingo
This is really difficult for me. I was really on the indy bandwagon. i have been persuaded however that accepting a big12 invite is probably better than indy so I would go with Big 12.



I will not be disappointed though if we remain indy and spurn the dying Big 12. If we do go i hope a condition is that we get to keep our espn deal becuase then if it went south we could just pick up where we left off in independence if we had to. also is it dissolved it would dissolve because of moves to superconferences and if that were the case being in the big12 is probably a better position to be in to position ourselves for inclusion into one of the super conferences.
L
Lawboy
I vote Big XII. I think people trying to kill that league off are getting way ahead of themselves. That league remains as long as Texas and OU want it to, and Texas has little incentive to bolt to the SEC or PAC as those leagues would not allow a separate network, which Texas and ESPN are highly invested in. ESPN loaned Texas $130million to get this done, so both want to see it succeed, and is the main reason that Texas goes nowhere. And as Texas will always want a league for all other sports, the Big XII serves their purpose. If Texas wanted to go Indy, they would have by now. But they do not want to, and Texas has said as much. Quotes state that if hte Big XII dies, Texas will form a new league--one in which BYU will land in if they go Big XII.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
I vote Big XII. I think people trying to kill that league off are getting way ahead of themselves. That league remains as long as Texas and OU want it to, and Texas has little incentive to bolt to the SEC or PAC as those leagues would not allow a separate network, which Texas and ESPN are highly invested in. ESPN loaned Texas $130million to get this done, so both want to see it succeed, and is the main reason that Texas goes nowhere. And as Texas will always want a league for all other sports, the Big XII serves their purpose. If Texas wanted to go Indy, they would have by now. But they do not want to, and Texas has said as much. Quotes state that if hte Big XII dies, Texas will form a new league--one in which BYU will land in if they go Big XII.


Yes, because people are dying to be in a league with texas.
R
rblack
Big 12 because Big 12 football is at least equal to Indy Football and Big 12 Basketball is better than WCC basketball.



On the other hand, if the invite is for Football only, would lean towards Indy.
S
Short_Change
Easy, Big 12. Even if Big 12 died, which I really can't see happening, BYU would have a great chance being picked up somewhere else or could go back to being Indy.
L
Lawboy
So who is voting Indy? Seeing the votes, but not the names behind the votes. Explain your reason for us.
1
1967cougar
jonnylingo wrote:
This is really difficult for me. I was really on the indy bandwagon. i have been persuaded however that accepting a big12 invite is probably better than indy so I would go with Big 12.



I will not be disappointed though if we remain indy and spurn the dying Big 12. If we do go i hope a condition is that we get to keep our espn deal becuase then if it went south we could just pick up where we left off in independence if we had to. also is it dissolved it would dissolve because of moves to superconferences and if that were the case being in the big12 is probably a better position to be in to position ourselves for inclusion into one of the super conferences.

You put my exact thoughts into words, Brother Lingo. It's like, I clicked the box for Big XII but looked around first to make sure no one was watching.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Indy with all other sports in the WCC.



I like the autonomy in football. I like the current TV deal. I like standing on our own two feet and being the masters of our own destiny and that's worth more to me than the extra cash. I also don't like to share and can do without the inevitable excess of BYU-hate that we'll constantly have to endure from ignorant conference members and every team wanting to be our "rival".



Traveling will be harder on our athletes in other sports and game times for other sports will likely be while I'm at work or on my way home from work. Plus, with the WCC affiliation I'm 30 min away from 3 WCC schools. I also think culturally, the WCC is a better fit.
S
SpiffCoug
Abstaining, becuase I don't care one way or the other. I see benefits to both.
S
snoscythe
I voted Indy. I think there is great potential in independence, and I think we should give it three seasons before we jump ship. Independence has the potential to be much more than being a BCS conference member, and could deliver more cash and exposure than we get with the Big XII. I understand the allure, but I don't think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The Conference shuffle is going to keep continuing on as the Big East, Pac-12, SEC, and Big XII are all still looking at expansion, so I think we'll have opportunities down the road to so align ourselves if we decide independence isn't working, especially if the rumored super-conferences become a reality.



BTW--any reason why a person could vote for both options? Was that on purpose, or a poll creation snafu?
L
Lawboy
Poll snafu. My first poll, so there you have it.



My biggest issue with Indy is scheduling. I know 2011 and 2012 were going to be rough, but I was hoping to see ore for years 2013 and beyond. We do have a rock solid 2013 schedule, but beyond that is a bit scary. And seeing those slots fill up with C-USA teams home and home did not do it for me. I like what the Big XII gives us in terms of scheduling options--for all sports. We can now get 2 for 1's with all non-BCS schools and H-H with BCS schools because we are in the club, and as far as perception goes, losing to a BCS team is better than losing to a non-BCS team.



Only downside I see is that the Big XII would have a 9 game league schedule for CFB, which I do not love. I prefer 8 with 4 OOC games. It works for the SEC really well. Now, 2 of those 3 games each year will be Utah and USU, which is fine, with a 3rd national type game(hopefully). I'd just prefer a 4th option to get another PAC/BCS game in the mix or a SoCal game for recruiting. Be tougher to achieve that now. Not sure what means for Hawaii deals and others, etc.
D
drewage81
I would vote for Big 12 Football only and other sports in WCC w/ a mainly Big 12 OOC schedule. Mainly because it would work out with non-sunday play. and the School/church would look good PR-wise in not ditching WCC( at least for a while anyways). I really dont see them wanting to damage those relationships they just created with those schools. I also think this is probably the most realistic option too, unless the Big 12 caves in on the sunday play issue, which i dont see them doing unless they cant find another school to join.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.