Archived Topic

Texas Starting QB Named

by Magnus Ver Magnusson · 8/30/2011

Advertisement
H
Hookem
Garrett Gilbert will return as the starter for Texas. Hopefully we can rattle him and return him to his form from last season.


Wish I could say..."not so fast my friend". But....I can't.



What's even more alarming, for me at least, is that we have 13 true freshman either starting, or in the two-deep that were listed on today's depth chart. Yikes.
C
Cougarbib
Hookem wrote:
Garrett Gilbert will return as the starter for Texas. Hopefully we can rattle him and return him to his form from last season.


Wish I could say..."not so fast my friend". But....I can't.



What's even more alarming, for me at least, is that we have 13 true freshman either starting, or in the two-deep that were listed on today's depth chart. Yikes.

Yes - but they are probably star-studded freshmen. Experience counts. Inexperience killed us early in 2010. Rice should allow the Horns some opportunity to work out some kinks and build some confidence. I will be excited to see what Texas does Saturday. I sure hope to see some vulnerabilities but I do not expect to see many. I expect that BYU will provide a tougher test than Rice, but I also expect Texas to beat Rice comfortably. What do youvexpect from your running game / OL and defensive backs?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
Hookem
The depth chart lists a senior running back, Fozzy Whitaker, who isn't real big, but is pretty quick, then two true freshman, Joe Bergeron and Malcolm Brown.



Joe B. is listed at 235 and has looked really good in camp, and Malcolm Brown is a star recruit listed at 217, who many sources that have watched practice, say is going to be a "special" player. Both seem like good kids, I hope they have good years.



Malcolm's highlight video gives me goose bumps (mainly the first run), of course it may just be that I kinda like the music, and/or the A/C is too cold.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TFe68uBDXU



The O-line is also thin with two true freshman in the 2-deep, and a redshirt freshman starting at center. Our best player on the line is true soph Trey Hopkins at LT. Reports are that they have looked good in camp, but we won't really know 'til game day. Your D should be pretty good indicator of where they're at.



Our safeties are a junior, Vacarro, and Gideon, a senior. Gideon has started every single game that he's been at Texas, and Vacarro is a talented high energy and hard hitting safety. Both it seemed however, were caught out of position a lot last year, which resulted in big gains for the opposition.



At CB, we have true soph, Byndom and true freshman, Q. Diggs. Both are possibly future NFL'ers, but obviously very young. Diggs may be the most talented of the two, but is only about 5'9 - 5'10, which could be a problem with your big recievers.



Jaxon Shipley, Jordan Shipley's little brother, also a true frosh was listed as a starter at WR, along with Mike Davis, John Harris, and D. White. The latter three were part of the same class that Apo would've been in, had he not changed to BYU. I think it was a good move on his part.



Sorry for the long response. Just excited for the season.
Advertisement
H
Hookem
Also...keep an eye on this kid, and keep him in you prayers if you don't mind.



Blaine Irby, H-Back.



Been out of football since the beginning of the '08 season. Suffered a horrific injury, and Dr's gave him a 5% chance to ever walk without a limp again.



To give you an idea of what he's had to overcome, here's the video of the Injury: Not for the faint of heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZtmjbvZYQ



He's made his way back and he's starting this Saturday, ironically against Rice. He's a great, great story of hardwork and dedication. Anyway, this is a good read if you like inspriational stories. Just thought I'd pass it along.



http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1256027
C
Cougarbib
That was almost as tough to watch as the infamous Joe Theisman injury. I love stories where adversity is overcome against all odds.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Hookem---on a side note I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your comments. It's so refreshing to have a civil conversation with a fan from another team without either side resorting to petty mudslinging or insults. I'm going to be at the Texas game this year with my brother in laws who live in Austin and Houston. If other Texas fans are as sharp and polite as you, I'm sure my experience will be unforgettable.
L
Lawboy
Gilbert is streaky good. Has all the talent and physical ability in the world, but lacks consistency. Pocket passer with size and a great arm, but is not super accurate and not great when pressured. If the Texas O-line struggles again this year and teams can pressure Gilbert, makes it tough for Texas. If that O-line shapes up, they have a chance to turn it around because they have great talent all over the field. Remember BYU in 2005, then in 2006? Hoping we get to be BC to Texas in that scenario.
H
Hookem
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
Hookem---on a side note I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your comments. It's so refreshing to have a civil conversation with a fan from another team without either side resorting to petty mudslinging or insults. I'm going to be at the Texas game this year with my brother in laws who live in Austin and Houston. If other Texas fans are as sharp and polite as you, I'm sure my experience will be unforgettable.




Thank you...and I hope you have a great experience, my friend. I'm jealous you get to be there. We live in So. Cal and try to make it back to Austin, and the Campus, about 2-3 times a year, but we won't get to make for this game. Although, I'm counting on being at UCLA the following week.



Let me know how it goes.
Advertisement
H
Hookem
Lawboy wrote:
Gilbert is streaky good. Has all the talent and physical ability in the world, but lacks consistency. Pocket passer with size and a great arm, but is not super accurate and not great when pressured. If the Texas O-line struggles again this year and teams can pressure Gilbert, makes it tough for Texas. If that O-line shapes up, they have a chance to turn it around because they have great talent all over the field. Remember BYU in 2005, then in 2006? Hoping we get to be BC to Texas in that scenario.


I concur, Lawboy.
R
redneckjedi
I just hope Gilbert tries a shovel pass into the line at the end of the first half for some reason.... :evil:
H
Hookem
redneckjedi wrote:
I just hope Gilbert tries a shovel pass into the line at the end of the first half for some reason.... :evil:


That was a low, low blow, redneckjedi!!! Thanks for pouring salt into that old wound!
R
redneckjedi
Hookem wrote:
I just hope Gilbert tries a shovel pass into the line at the end of the first half for some reason.... :evil:


That was a low, low blow, redneckjedi!!! Thanks for pouring salt into that old wound!


Sorry man - UT is probably my #2 team behind BYU, and I was rooting for you guys hard in that game, and it was hard to watch McCoy go out like that and witness Gilbert's baptism by fire that night. I was really impressed that he pulled the team to within 3. Hopefully he has a great year - just not on Sept. 10. ;)
H
Hookem
redneckjedi wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:
I just hope Gilbert tries a shovel pass into the line at the end of the first half for some reason.... :evil:


That was a low, low blow, redneckjedi!!! Thanks for pouring salt into that old wound!


Sorry man - UT is probably my #2 team behind BYU, and I was rooting for you guys hard in that game, and it was hard to watch McCoy go out like that and witness Gilbert's baptism by fire that night. I was really impressed that he pulled the team to within 3. Hopefully he has a great year - just not on Sept. 10. ;)


No worries...I saw you're from Leander and figured as much. I don't think I slept for a month after that, and still can't bring myself to watch the replay when it's been on ESPN classic.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.