Archived Topic

If this actually happens tomorrow (link)

by Y 4 Ever · 8/30/2011

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
BYU will not accept until Wednesday at the earliest, more likely Thursday or Friday. BYU probably will not move quickly. I think in the end they accept the invite.
F
Florwood
I have no idea what will happen--just out of curiosity, why would they wait until later in the week to respond?
C
Cougarbib
Florwood wrote:
I have no idea what will happen--just out of curiosity, why would they wait until later in the week to respond?

Lawboy said he heard that there is a Board mtg Wed to review and approve or disapprove BYU president's recommendation - whatever that recommendation would be.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Y 4 Ever wrote:
If this actually happens tomorrow (tuesday), then you would likely expect some kind of a statement from the Big 12 so that they don't default on their TV contract, and so they look stronger.



http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/texas-am-closer-to-withdrawing-from-big-12.html?_r=1



Seems to be a perfect time to announce a new member :)

It makes me wonder whether that contractual issue requiring 10 teams to avoid renegotiation would be triggered when they announce withdrawal or not until they actually withdraw after this season. That is where BYU gets some leverage. They are Independent in football and have an out clause from the WCC in the other sports assuming those even matter. They probably do not have to give the WCC notice by Thursday and only have to worry about ESPN for football. I would imagine that ESPN would adjust the BYU contract as needed, help out the WCC, as needed to curry favor with the Big 12. They might even be happy to buy out Fox if Fox wants out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
To me, this is happening @ "break neck" speed. I understand the appeal of the Big 12. I just don't see jumping so fast - so soon. I understand "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" and "opportunity only knocks once." It's just so stinkin' fast. We haven't even given being an Independent a fighting chance. Oh well!
C
Cougarbib
Ddawg wrote:
To me, this is happening @ "break neck" speed. I understand the appeal of the Big 12. I just don't see jumping so fast - so soon. I understand "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" and "opportunity only knocks once." It's just so stinkin' fast. We haven't even given being an Independent a fighting chance. Oh well!

No matter what happens here, Independence was a bold and innovative move by BYU that changed our position relative to the national football landscape. The MTN killed the MWC momentum. BYU, Utah, and TCU had to leave. BSU would leave in a heartbeat if PAC or Big came calling. The WAC is dead when the evacuation concludes in 2012. The PAC did not want anything to do with us. The Big 12 gave it some thought but wouldn't pull the trigger. Our stock will continue to rise if we win 10 plus per year. Over scheduling is the biggest threat to our coveted exposure.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Cougarbib2 wrote:
To me, this is happening @ "break neck" speed. I understand the appeal of the Big 12. I just don't see jumping so fast - so soon. I understand "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" and "opportunity only knocks once." It's just so stinkin' fast. We haven't even given being an Independent a fighting chance. Oh well!

No matter what happens here, Independence was a bold and innovative move by BYU that changed our position relative to the national football landscape. The MTN killed the MWC momentum. BYU, Utah, and TCU had to leave. BSU would leave in a heartbeat if PAC or Big came calling. The WAC is dead when the evacuation concludes in 2012. The PAC did not want anything to do with us. The Big 12 gave it some thought but wouldn't pull the trigger. Our stock will continue to rise if we win 10 plus per year. Over scheduling is the biggest threat to our coveted exposure.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ]



http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed. By going Indy and partnering with espn, byu was able to demonstrate it's true worth as a brand and remove the mwc stigma. No longer viewed as a little mwc team. Now being mentioned in the same breath as nd, Texas, and ou.



In other words, going Indy proved that byu is a big time program.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SenorCougar
Can you really trust anything reported by the NY Times? I not one that believes in "reacting" to a situation. I think the ESPN deal is sweet and they have worked with us through out this process. I'm not sure that the Big 10 will survive all the future changes. A signed commitment by current members (Texas & Oklahoma) doesn't mean much. Ask the WAC about signed commitments. I don't want to be caught in a Boise State type situation. Analyze your options, see how things shake out, and then decide about moving forward. Don't jump for the sake of jumping. ESPN will give us a LOT of exposure for years to come...perhaps more than teams in the Big 10 will get.
J
jonnylingo
This won't happen until another team has agreed to take their place. A&M can't leave before this, otherwise they will be in for a monster lawsuit if the tv deals were forced to be renegotiated. that is why a&m stated they would help find a replacement.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
To me, this is happening @ "break neck" speed. I understand the appeal of the Big 12. I just don't see jumping so fast - so soon. I understand "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" and "opportunity only knocks once." It's just so stinkin' fast. We haven't even given being an Independent a fighting chance. Oh well!

No matter what happens here, Independence was a bold and innovative move by BYU that changed our position relative to the national football landscape. The MTN killed the MWC momentum. BYU, Utah, and TCU had to leave. BSU would leave in a heartbeat if PAC or Big came calling. The WAC is dead when the evacuation concludes in 2012. The PAC did not want anything to do with us. The Big 12 gave it some thought but wouldn't pull the trigger. Our stock will continue to rise if we win 10 plus per year. Over scheduling is the biggest threat to our coveted exposure.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ]



http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed. By going Indy and partnering with espn, byu was able to demonstrate it's true worth as a brand and remove the mwc stigma. No longer viewed as a little mwc team. Now being mentioned in the same breath as nd, Texas, and ou.



In other words, going Indy proved that byu is a big time program.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


+1! I was watching "BCS Countdown" last night and guess what? They specifically talked about BYU. Everyone has their eye on us as an independent, instead of being just another "mid-major."
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.