Archived Topic

Newest Info

by stuckinbig10country · 8/29/2011

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
http://www.theupsetblog.com/2011/08/source-byu-contacted-by-big-12.html



1. BYU has been contacted. The blog doesn't say offered, only contacted.



2. BYU wants to have some sort of indication of what Notre Dame is going to do in the future. Not necessarily joining the Big 12, but any conference.



3. BYU won't jump without having something in place from Texas saying they won't jump.



4. BYU is concerned about their relationship with the WCC and especially how it reflects on the name and reputation of the church.



I'm sure everyone has already seen this, but these are the main points.



Discuss.
L
Lawboy
This all sounds exactly what I have been hearing since A&M started this, along with Sunday play issues. If they can all get resolved amicably, could happen. I do know that the Notre Dame angle might be being overplayed a little, but BYU does value that relationship and series greatly. But we will do what is best for us, regardless of what ND chooses to do.



I suspect we will know by Thursday one way or the other, because I think the Big XII will want to act by then to get back to at least 10 teams. If we are not team 10-12 and/or they stay at 10 for now and it is not us, means we are not ready to jump yet.
B
BroncoBot
Absolutely some bridges would be burned if BYU left the WCC after 1 year, and I frankly would be a little embarrassed.



What a mess BYU would be in if they joined the big xii and suddenly texas left. No nebraska, no a&m, if ut leaves, I'm sure OU would be right on their heels.
C
Cougs_Rule
Exactly! I am somewhat relieved to see that BYU is putting these issues on the table. I cant imagine that they wouldnt, given the embarrassment and fiasco that was the MTN/comcast deal. BUt still, this explains my reticence. These are big stakes with alot of moving parts. And if we arent ready to jump or the terms arent right, does the Big 12 feel snubbed and BYU loses its chance. Anybody want to be TH and the legal team right now? There may or may not be a "right vs wrong" decision that can be determined by The Board from higher powers, but getting the deal done right (as has been suggested) is a whole separate and very complex matter.
H
Hookem
BYU wants a contractually stipulated agreement in place, guaranteeing Texas' commitment to the Big 12.


This.



I wouldn't make a move if I were BYU, unless Texas either agrees to this, or promises to include BYU in a package deal in any future moves. It would only be smart. If Texas and/or OU leave the Big 12, it's dead.



IMHO, all the points from that site make perfect sense for BYU to make a move. I believe you guys are in a very good position. Like I've said, you guys have definately got some bargaining power right now. Use it to your full advantage.



If the deal is just right, you can take it. If not, so what, you're going to continue on the direction you're on. No biggie.



I wish you guys the best, whatever it may be.



Until this time next week, I'm going to leave you guys to game week with Ole Miss, unless of course some realignment news makes it's way into the headlines. If there is any, hopefully it doesn't distract your players from their mission this week, to beat Ole Miss! Good luck on Saturday, and I'll catch up with you guys next week.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
I would think that moving football immediately, and then two to three years later moving the rest of the sports would be a good working fix.



This does two things. Helps the WCC and over the next 2 years and gives the Big 12 a couple years to move their championships from Sunday to Saturday in some sports.
B
beauso79
I wonder if we had an escape clause to leave the WCC if the Big XII came calling?? This is going to get ugly if we do leave. Didn't the WCC's commissioner contact BYU recently to make sure we were still on board?? The other thing is that coach Rose might be upset if we didn't take the Big XII invite



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
My recollection in the deal with the WCC was that we were sticking with them unless we were invited to one of the "big Name" conferences, in which case we could move on under the agreement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
BYULV wrote:
My recollection in the deal with the WCC was that we were sticking with them unless we were invited to one of the "big Name" conferences, in which case we could move on under the agreement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

And my recollection was that BYU stated that they considered the WCC a long term deal, not a "stepping stone" specifically.



Found this,

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700062096/Holmoe-Move-to-WCC-not-a-stepping-stone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"While BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe told reporters on Tuesday BYU wasn't looking at it as a stepping-stone, he didn't directly address terms of the contract on whether there is an out-clause to allow BYU to join a BCS conference like the Big 12 if such a call came.



"We don't see this (agreement with the WCC) as a stepping stone or a launching pad," said Holmoe
."



So while he didn't say if there was such a clause he made it sound like BYU would be with the WCC for longer than 1 year. If I'm in WCC, I don't look at BYU the same after this.
L
Lawboy
I do not see how it gets ugly for BYU to lave the WCC after 1 year at all. Nationally, people will get why. Even the WCC schools will get why. They would all love big conference access. But I do understand wanting to value those new relationships.
Advertisement
D
Dwight
I too would be embarrrassed if BYU backed out of an agreement with the WCC. It would diminish what BYU stands for and sully their credility. I vote for loyalty and honoring an agreement even at the cost of the big BCS bucks. I would not be as enthusiastic of a fan if I felt that the school sold out on their agreement with a business partner.
G
Gunk
Unless it's the offer of a lifetime, BYU should stay independent.



My preference is we stay where we're at. I'd like to see what we can accomplish independent. I like the autonomy. All money earned goes to us. We make our greatness or dig our own grave.



Ditching the WCC makes us look real bad. We already went through this when we left the MWC and we'd essentially go through it again a year later. So unless is so sweat of a deal that no one could fault us for leaving I say we stay put. Plus, traveling to WCC schools is a lot easier for BYU and fans.
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
Unless it's the offer of a lifetime, BYU should stay independent.



My preference is we stay where we're at. I'd like to see what we can accomplish independent. I like the autonomy. All money earned goes to us. We make our greatness or dig our own grave.



Ditching the WCC makes us look real bad. We already went through this when we left the MWC and we'd essentially go through it again a year later. So unless is so sweat of a deal that no one could fault us for leaving I say we stay put. Plus, traveling to WCC schools is a lot easier for BYU and fans.

So - other than no Sunday play and Tier 3 broadcasting rights, what would that sweet deal look like.



It gives us the chance to schedule 8 or 9 BCS opponents on a home and away basis including Oct and Nov.

It removes the mid-major stigma

It removes the biggest reason a top LDS or other recruit willing to live the standards of the Church might have to sign up elsewhere

It will pay much more money

It will end 2 for 1s or un-neutral site games

It will help exposure by having games people other than die-hard BYU fans will actually want to watch

It takes some wind out of Utah's BCS bluster

It helps recruiting

It will be tough to compete at that level, but at least the playing field will be level.



As for the WCC - we and our new friends who share the same ESPN family connection should reward them with some big-time games in big arenas and be willing to return the visit even though the arenas are small. That should provide them exposure and money.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Metallicat
Well put bib.
T
tww
I don't see why anyone would think that leaving the WCC would be embarrassing or make BYU look bad. It's already in the deal. The WCC already knows and expects that if BYU gets an offer it can't refuse that were gone. No hurt feelings, no strings attached. It's not personal and not a surprise. Was it embarrassing when BYU skipped over the WAC for the WCC?



It is not much different than a bowl tie-in. The contract already allows an out for a bcs bowl.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Bib and tww.



Definitely correct.



The other thing for all you naysayers, is that we wouldn't be joining right away. We would still play out one season AT LEAST in the WCC. They still have their trophy wife for a year. They have all their arenas sold out for a year, and an opportunity to send 3 teams to the tourney next year.



They aren't losing anything they didn't already have, and they get us for at least a year, but maybe even more.



Like "Throwing Copper," you are all "Selling the Drama."
8
88Coug
I like the idea of moving football immediately and moving the other sports in 2 to 3 years.



That way things are not rushed, BYU does get a chance to play on the West Coast for a couple years, and the B12 can move to non-Sunday play before BYU joins up.



I find the ND issue very fascinating. ND had a much easier time of everything when there were lots of independent schools and conferences meant little. ND plays a better schedule than 95% of college football and still gets challenged for lining up easy games. ND was likely looking forward to BYU's independence, in that it would no longer be alone on the island (Navy and Army really don't count for this).



Imagine a world where ND and BYU are joined by Texas, USC, Florida, LSU, Bama, Penn State, Florida State, and Georgia as independents. Conferences would suddenly weaken. TV deals would change. And then combine this with a 16 team playoff where ND can play for a national title every single year.



Unfortunately, we are more likely to see Super Conferences than new independents and as such, even ND is considering a move to a conference.



I really like the idea of ND and BYU to the B12 and the opportunity to play ND, OU, and Texas as conference games.
M
MountainMD
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Unless it's the offer of a lifetime, BYU should stay independent.



My preference is we stay where we're at. I'd like to see what we can accomplish independent. I like the autonomy. All money earned goes to us. We make our greatness or dig our own grave.



Ditching the WCC makes us look real bad. We already went through this when we left the MWC and we'd essentially go through it again a year later. So unless is so sweat of a deal that no one could fault us for leaving I say we stay put. Plus, traveling to WCC schools is a lot easier for BYU and fans.

So - other than no Sunday play and Tier 3 broadcasting rights, what would that sweet deal look like.



It gives us the chance to schedule 8 or 9 BCS opponents on a home and away basis including Oct and Nov.

It removes the mid-major stigma

It removes the biggest reason a top LDS or other recruit willing to live the standards of the Church might have to sign up elsewhere

It will pay much more money

It will end 2 for 1s or un-neutral site games

It will help exposure by having games people other than die-hard BYU fans will actually want to watch

It takes some wind out of Utah's BCS bluster

It helps recruiting

It will be tough to compete at that level, but at least the playing field will be level.



As for the WCC - we and our new friends who share the same ESPN family connection should reward them with some big-time games in big arenas and be willing to return the visit even though the arenas are small. That should provide them exposure and money.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Amen.
J
jonnylingo
Dwight wrote:
I too would be embarrrassed if BYU backed out of an agreement with the WCC. It would diminish what BYU stands for and sully their credility. I vote for loyalty and honoring an agreement even at the cost of the big BCS bucks. I would not be as enthusiastic of a fan if I felt that the school sold out on their agreement with a business partner.


Yes, as we continue to bleed recruits and destroy the program because of it. Yes that is a good idea. Look the agreement has an out for a reason. there is nothing dishonest or greedy about it. wcc knew the risk and was more than happy to take it given the benefits. their tv deal was much bigger than it would have been had we not made the move. both sides benefit whether we leave or not.



i however would like the idea of sticking around for a few years and making the move after that. it makes sense anyway given the instabiliyt of the big12.



the answer to all of this if an invite comes is we keep all other sports where they are for two years and we demand to keep our agreement with espn. that way we are covered on both ends if hte big12 folds.
W
Wickchad
jonnylingo wrote:
the answer to all of this if an invite comes is we keep all other sports where they are for two years and we demand to keep our agreement with espn. that way we are covered on both ends if hte big12 folds.


I really like this idea. Tell the Big 12 to keep their TV money and we'll keep our own deal. I think 10 games on ESPN is better than what anyone in the Big 12 has this year. Give us the best of both worlds. Show Notre Dame that you can still be quasi independent within a conference.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.