Archived Topic

Wrubell's thoughts on big xii. Excellent piece.

by BroncoBot · 8/28/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
He took the words right out of my mouth.



Spot on.



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=17009374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"The Big 12 may be appealing on the surface, but its prospects have deeper merit only if the league can present BYU with a plan that encompasses most if not all of the school's needs and wishes, while allowing it to honor certain agreements and relationships. The siren song of the Big 12 is ostensibly replete with dollar signs and status. In other words, it is a typical worldly appeal to pride and greed. Yet, BYU already possesses much of what it desires. It operates with the self-confidence that comes with knowing exactly who it is, what and who it represents, and how best to transmit that message to an ever-expanding audience.



Esau sold his birthright to Jacob for a mess of pottage. BYU won't be compromising its decades-old charter simply for BCS access or a few million more dollars. It's not exactly pottage, but right now, the Big 12 is a little bit of a mess."
M
mizzoucoug
It's all about scheduling. BYU could conceivably be shut out of any meaningful November games for the rest of its independence existence! This is a very simple thing imo.
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
It's all about scheduling. BYU could conceivably be shut out of any meaningful November games for the rest of its independence existence! This is a very simple thing imo.

Plus 1



We can't cave on Sunday play and we should not give up tier 3 broadcasting rights, but other than that we need to sign up and get the best of both worlds. I actually hope The Big 12 goes Big 16 right away if they could get Notre Dame, BYU, SMU, TCU, on board plus the three service academies. It would seem that these folks could all develop a national following and sone national rivalries. Maybe The Big 12 could even grab better partners. But even if all they do is offer us - it is nice to finally be wanted by someone and in this part of the country the only other choice besides independence and it's scheduling challenges, is the PAC - who has shown no visible signs of wanting BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Metallicat
As badly as I want this to happen, I'm assuming its not until I see the press conference. Remember when TH "was in Texas for the Big XII meetings" last year and everyone with "inside info" confirmed this? Then it turns out he was in Alaska...
J
jonnylingo
mizzoucoug wrote:
It's all about scheduling. BYU could conceivably be shut out of any meaningful November games for the rest of its independence existence! This is a very simple thing imo.

This is exactly right. It is about scheduling. That is why they will accept if they do.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
The fact that Greg Wrubbel is coming out against accession into the BigXII is very interesing. Wrubbel is the de facto PR arm of BYU sports. I'd feel fairly confident that Wrubbel ran something liek this by TH before going to press. He's very loyal to BYU and BYU knows that that. They also know BYU fans listen to Greg.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
The fact that Greg Wrubbel is coming out against accession into the BigXII is very interesing. Wrubbel is the de facto PR arm of BYU sports. I'd feel fairly confident that Wrubbel ran something liek this by TH before going to press. He's very loyal to BYU and BYU knows that that. They also know BYU fans listen to Greg.


Hmmm, sounds a little bit like what I said about McGregor.



For me, its more like Thanksgiving morning when Wrubell speaks--and I happen to agree with him 100%. Turn your tents away, brethren! The desert has always been God's will for his children over the shackles of Babylon. ;-). He will provide manna (8-12mil) and quail (patsies) in November.
M
mcgregor
SpiffCoug wrote:
The fact that Greg Wrubbel is coming out against accession into the BigXII is very interesing. Wrubbel is the de facto PR arm of BYU sports. I'd feel fairly confident that Wrubbel ran something liek this by TH before going to press. He's very loyal to BYU and BYU knows that that. They also know BYU fans listen to Greg.


I'm not so sure GW has access to TH on this matter.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
The fact that Greg Wrubbel is coming out against accession into the BigXII is very interesing. Wrubbel is the de facto PR arm of BYU sports. I'd feel fairly confident that Wrubbel ran something liek this by TH before going to press. He's very loyal to BYU and BYU knows that that. They also know BYU fans listen to Greg.


Hmmm, sounds a little bit like what I said about McGregor.



For me, its more like Thanksgiving morning when Wrubell speaks--and I happen to agree with him 100%. Turn your tents away, brethren! The desert has always been God's will for his children over the shackles of Babylon. ;-). He will provide manna (8-12mil) and quail (patsies) in November.

I even worry about the quail. The WAC provided quail through the first few seasons, but if you search BYU future football schedule on google you will find a site thatvhas it for all schools and the quail are all gone quickly on ours. Every BCS team wants quail outside of conference and the quail are getting smarter and realizing that if they hide from the Gods to avoid being sacrificed on the alter, they could become the next BYU, BSU, Utah, TCU, Hawaii, Louisville, etc that rode that formula to a higher degree of success and exposure. Houston, Nevada, and others like USU may try to ride weak schedules into begrudged national rankings. In other words, they may not want to come get eaten in Provo. And if they do come, we better quit complaining.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Nah. Its a win-win. And it is about the money for these mid-tier and lower tier teams. And we will want november patsies when coming off ND or before. The home and home and neutral is still a problem. but not an adequate trade for the shackles of the big 12.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
we aren't getting 8 mil a season on our tv deal, and we sure as hell aren't getting 12 right now, (or ever under the contract.)
F
frdbtr
I think if BYU were to get some assurances that Texas and OU were going to stay in the big 12, get to keep their ESPN contract with all of its rebroadcast rights, I don't see how BYU turns that down. All of this talk from Jake Heaps and Bronco about winning a national championship only becomes a possibility if BYU is able to get into a bcs conference, win it and then win the BCS championship game. BYU would have to go undefeated starting this year, every year, until Jake Heaps graduates and then still may not have an opportunity to play in the BCS championship game. Right now there are no guarantees to even get into a BCS bowl game, if you get in the Big 12, all you have to do is win the Big 12 championship game and you are in.
C
Cougy_Monster




The benefits of independence are:



- Control TV exposure:
An ideal conference for BYU could still allow the current BYUtv and ESPN deals. And ND could keep NBC and Texas could keep LHN. I can't imagine a better scenario for teams like Texas, ND, BYU or any other school with a large national following and the resources to manage their own network than a conference where each school retains TV rights except for a conference TV contract for 1 or 2 marquee matchups each week.



- Control who you play (ND can do this, BYU can't currently as evidenced by our home schedule in November): Being in a conference with big hitters would absolutely improve BYUs home schedule. And the Cougs could then have more clout to schedule 1:1 games with great OOC teams.



- Don't have to share money: This would be good and bad in a new conference. Since a restructured Big12 would have to let Texas and ND keep their money BYU would definitely be fighting an uphill budget battle. Its all relative....if BYU is making 20 million a year that is about a 1000% improvement from the past, but pocket change compared to ND and Texas. I don't think BYU needs as much money to be competitive, as we've shown in the past. So I'm ok with that. I do think that a conference TV contract featuring the 2 best games of the week should split the money conference wide, with stipulations that there be a max number of weekly appearances for one team.



- Control identity: This I think is doable, but more challenging when in a conference. For example, every PAC-12 school carries the identity of the disgusting political agenda of Cal and Stanford. Not all schools are as bad as those 2, but it doesn't matter....the rest are guilty by association. Same with the SEC -- they are all cheaters even if some actually play by the rules, which I doubt :). I think having your own network and branding helps maintain your identity, so although challenging I don't think its impossible.



C
Cougy_Monster
The best part about being in a conference, besides BcS access?



CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.




You know BYU would have a great chance year in and year out of winning their division and playing in the championship game. That game alone would surpass the excitement and relevance of any of our bowl games for the last 14 years.
S
snoscythe
Cougy_Monster wrote:
The best part about being in a conference, besides BcS access?



CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.




You know BYU would have a great chance year in and year out of winning their division and playing in the championship game. That game alone would surpass the excitement and relevance of any of our bowl games for the last 14 years.


Yeah, we had some pretty sweet MWC Championship games, I can't wait to see all the Big XII Conference Championships they won't be playing with fewer than 12 teams.
Advertisement
C
Cougy_Monster
snoscythe wrote:
The best part about being in a conference, besides BcS access?



CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.




You know BYU would have a great chance year in and year out of winning their division and playing in the championship game. That game alone would surpass the excitement and relevance of any of our bowl games for the last 14 years.


Yeah, we had some pretty sweet MWC Championship games, I can't wait to see all the Big XII Conference Championships they won't be playing with fewer than 12 teams.


I guess I should have been more clear. I was assuming the Big12 would restructure back up to 12 teams, including BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Consider if we join then in a few years it falls apart and we go indy again. Wouldn't we be in much better shape indy after a few years in the Big12? I think we would be enhanced in trying to schedule games. Especially if we did well in conference.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.