Archived Topic

A word about expansions and insider info

by mcgregor · 8/27/2011

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
I know I don't post often, and therefore have very little cache here. But I wanted to briefly comment on the whirlwind of information that is certainly flaming the deepest hope of all the Cougar faithful.



Let me start off by saying that there could indeed be well-informed persons relaying solid information about conference expansion. Also, I'm also not saying that BYU will or will not be invited to the Big 12.



What I am saying, however, is that I feel I have a very, VERY well-placed source on the issue, and he insists that BYU is keeping this as close to the vest as possible. He suggests that almost NO ONE outside of a handful of people on a need-to-know basis have a clear picture of what is transpiring behind the scenes.



That doesn't mean nothing is happening; nor does it mean something is happening. All it means is that there's a very good chance that some "insiders" out there are drawing unfounded conclusions based on their own or others' unfounded speculation. For instance, perhaps a secretary sees DeLoss Dodds' name on the caller ID and turns that information over as "Texas called BYU today," which gets turns over as "BYU got invited to the Big12 today," and so forth. We know how that game goes.



Anyway, I'm wishing for the best. Can't wait for the season to start.



GO COUGS!



JL McGregor

Dallas TX
D
Ddawg
Mc-Dawg, that is a measured & wise response. I agree wholeheartedly. I have had situations where insiders have told me inside scoop that they swore was rock solid - "take it to the bank." It turned out to be incorrect. It will be real interesting to see how this unfolds & what transpires. Whatever the end game - I think it could take months for this to unfold. If BYU refuses the invite - or an invite is not Officially extended - we will never be privy to the inside conversations.
F
Florwood
For posters that have been on cblue or ccorner for longer than a year or two, you'll always have whatever cachet you want.



I've never known any insiders, so have never been tempted to pass on breaking news. I just know from observing, that most newsbreakers have broken their credibility more often than real news.
C
Cougs_Rule
McGregor, you seem like a very respectable guy. But this seems to me almost like your inside source has exploited or enlisted you as a sort of mole, planting info, shaping public perception. NOt a bad thing. Ive been wrong many times on CC and I might be way off, but, I'm just saying.
B
BoiseBYU
dmcougar wrote:
McGregor, you seem like a very respectable guy. But this seems to me almost like your inside source has exploited or enlisted you as a sort of mole, planting info, shaping public perception. NOt a bad thing. Ive been wrong many times on CC and I might be way off, but, I'm just saying.

Not "seem" "Is" McGergor has more cachet than Fort Knox has gold (For Knox does have gold, right? ;) )
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
BoiseBYU wrote:
McGregor, you seem like a very respectable guy. But this seems to me almost like your inside source has exploited or enlisted you as a sort of mole, planting info, shaping public perception. NOt a bad thing. Ive been wrong many times on CC and I might be way off, but, I'm just saying.

Not "seem" "Is" McGergor has more cachet than Fort Knox has gold (For Knox does have gold, right? ;) )


Ditto and same for a guy named Cruiser. Two posters that make things REAL interesting with insights and knowledge unparalleled.
C
cougdoc
Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets that "Christmas morning" feeling in my stomach when I see a new thread started by mcgregor. He posts infrequently not because he has nothing to contribute (which is why I am still a recruit after almost two years) but because he is the soul of discretion. No doubt he could tell us much more if he had the o.k.
C
Cougs_Rule
To be clear, I was not condemning, and i certainly find the information about non or mis information/rumors to be helpful and apparently very credible. BUt it is still information from a source.
M
mcgregor
dmcougar wrote:
To be clear, I was not condemning, and i certainly find the information about non or mis information/rumors to be helpful and apparently very credible. BUt it is still information from a source.


I actually don't know what you mean, or what you're saying.



I'm slow.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sorry. My point is your source told you--"insist[ed]" exactly what he wanted to tell you. Which was that its very "close to the vest" and that any information that is out there is just "speculation' and so on. And that he told you this info because that is the truth but also he has to know that you are tweeting and posting and would let that information out to the public. He may or may not care what you say or write, but he has to know that you are a respected or at least an active poster.

ok, sorry, this really is much ado about nothing. sorry to waist people's time. I hope in no way did I impune our Scottish friend.
Advertisement
M
mcgregor
dmcougar wrote:
Sorry. My point is your source told you--"insist[ed]" exactly what he wanted to tell you. Which was that its very "close to the vest" and that any information that is out there is just "speculation' and so on. And that he told you this info because that is the truth but also he has to know that you are tweeting and posting and would let that information out to the public. He may or may not care what you say or write, but he has to know that you are a respected or at least an active poster.

ok, sorry, this really is much ado about nothing. sorry to waist people's time. I hope in no way did I impune our Scottish friend.


You're probably right. But that hasn't stopped the flow of information in the past. He does know I post, but I think I've been discreet with our conversations. I know when something is for public consumption, and when it's not. That being said, it's certainly conceivable that he is taking no chances with this. And I wouldn't blame him.
B
blue42
dmcougar wrote:
he has to know that you are tweeting and posting and would let that information out to the public. He may or may not care what you say or write, but he has to know that you are a respected or at least an active poster.


Why would you think this? Nobody from my work or friends know who I am on this website, so why would Mcgregors person expect him to post anything about a conversation they had?



If I told someone something in confidence I would expect that confidence to be kept or I will never tell that person anything again. That's how people who are connected stay connected. Mcgregor has shown to have some very good information in the past, not only here but also on the other board that shall not be named where credibility was very hard to come by, and for those of us who where on that other board all recognize this.



Remember the number of posts has nothing to do with the value of the information that is being given, I am sure we all know people who just seem to talk because they are in love with the sound of their own voice, but it annoys everone one else around.



I for one can't wait to see what insights Mcgregor will be able to give us in the future on this topic which I am sure he will, when he can.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Hear, hear. McGregor is solid.
G
Guest
There are few sources as reliable as mcgregor. He is certainly considered the upper echelon of posters here, even though he doesn't grace us with his presence nearly often enough.
C
Cougarbib
Perhaps what DM was suggesting was that the source was at least hopeful that McGregor would subtly make the point I have also tried to make.



Do not accept an offer until one is made.



There are very precious relationships involved with BYU and to create stress on those relationships by making public statements that claim authority that it is a done deal as soon as A&M leaves - well if it isn't true - damage may have been done by making it sound like it is true. And if it is true but A&M never leaves - damage was done in that case.



Likewise to have others bash the Big 12 and some of its schools before we get an invite could affect whether we ever get one if it goes too far and is inflammatory enough. I know that institutions will not make these decisons based on a post or two. But let's notgo viarl onthe topic. Right now would be a good time for us to cherish whatever friends we may have in the Big 12. Lord knows we do not have enough friends in the PAC. Maybe we do have supporters in the Big 12. Maybe the Big 12 needs us more than the PAC did. Maybe they will not invite us but have more of them schedule us. WIN WIN. That makes good relationships long term.



Let us cherish our independence in football and our relationship with the WCC in other sports as long as we have it. It is who we are and where we are and where we are going to be until it isn't anymore.



I think that is the message. And if McGreggor was used by someone to get that message sent - it was great use of a great guy.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Bib, I don't think your point misses the point. Tom Holmoe is holding things very close to the vest, he's not talking about what life would be like in the Big12 if we got invited. He is not accepting an invitation before one is made. What fans say really means nothing, just like fans can look past teams on the schedule they can imagine life in the Big12. But BYU administration is doing it right.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Bib, I don't think your point misses the point. Tom Holmoe is holding things very close to the vest, he's not talking about what life would be like in the Big12 if we got invited. He is not accepting an invitation before one is made. What fans say really means nothing, just like fans can look past teams on the schedule they can imagine life in the Big12. But BYU administration is doing it right.

I agree that ADMIN is doing it right. My comment is about when FANS claim to have been told by ADMIN off the record, that BYU has signed a deal and it is a done deal unless A&M does not leave. I think that is the message. Lawboy may have a direct line to Holmoe himself or conversely, just know someone who knows someone who knows his secretary leaves messages in a visible place and if you walk by and glance at the message holder at just the right time, you know who is calling. IDK. He probably has a good contact.



If someone who truly knows is leaking that info - that probably goes against the grain of how ADMIN wants to handle this. Nonetheless, it is all fascinating to speculate about and if my inside contacts rang me up and told me something - I would have a hard time containing myself - and might fail. My inside contacts would be more likely to have info on which coach got fired and why than what conference is calling unless all of AD MGMT is in the loop. But I have not even called and they probably would not tell even if they knew.



What I have enjoyed most out of all of this dialogue is reading the increased level of respect BYU has earned by having gone independent. The tone is much different than last summer nationally.



The ADMIN is doing the right thing even if that includes planting a message that hints for more discretion in the use of insider or supposed insider info.
M
mcgregor
Without going into details, there's no way my info was "planted."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
mcgregor wrote:
Without going into details, there's no way my info was "planted."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

WHEW!!! ;)

Thanks for the info/noninfo. I figure if mcgregor doesn't know, no one does.
S
scott715
Either way we are in a good spot. Remain indy or go Big12. We now have options instead of being a begger.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.