Archived Topic

Daniel Sorensen Interview (Bulletin Board Material?)

by Magnus Ver Magnusson · 8/26/2011

Advertisement
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Check out what Daniel Sorensen said to Franchuk:



http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_ad314a04-cf4e-11e0-a1f6-001cc4c03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I didn't hear the whole segment but caught a bit on 1280 where they were talking about his remarks as "bulletin board" material for other teams. They also talked about the "white boys" line as somewhat misleading as far as what BYU should be standing for. What say you?
A
aabyucougars pa
I don't believe in all that bulletin board stuff. That stuff lasts until the first hit then everyone settles in. I think both teams have many more reasons to get after each other than what Daniel said.



I took his comments to be more like he was poking fun at BYU being a bunch of "white boys" rather than trying to incite a race war. Just my two cents.
L
Lawboy
It's football, not the Sons of Helaman. I appreciate the fact that the football team is a voice for good and an example when they travel, but I root for their football.



As to teh rest, I have zero problem with them all beleiving that, because it is part of what Bronco sells to parents. Just do not flaunt it like a badge of honor. Can come across as condescending. And the white boy thing was just dumb. We have many Polys and African-Americans on this team as well, ya know.
B
Brayden Green
I made the mistake of reading a couple Ole Miss forums a couple of days ago, and all they are talking about (before this interview even happened) is about how a bunch of white boys are gonna come down to the heat and melt away like vanilla ice cream.



It goes both ways. I understand this is different because it comes from a player. But people see BYU as a bunch of white people. Incorrectly yes, but that is the way a lot of people see it, unfortunately.
C
Cougs_Rule
Maybe he meant Yite Boyz. :-)



yep a little risky. but I like the bold. Bronco will give him a little guidance as needed.

fellow teammates of whatever ethnicity should like fighting that OleMiss "white boy" perception as well.
Advertisement
D
demar40
I don't think there is any question as to how he intended the term "a bunch of white boys". If you were to ask 100 random people across the country about BYU sports the majority of them would categorize BYU athletes the same way that he did. His intent was simply addressing the stereo type that is out there and was in no way a slight to his teammates or anyone else. However, it was a poor choice of words no question. Everyone who knows BYU and BYU athletics and the church that it represents, knows that it is very ethnically diverse and has people from all walks of life and all races and makes no distinction between them. I for one enjoy and support any and all athletes that represent my favorite team...GO COUGARS!!!
O
OleMissInPeace
You better believe some of the player on our team will prob. go after him. He kinda made it a white vs. black thing, should be fun to watch the jawing.
A
ABYUFAN
OleMissInPeace wrote:
You better believe some of the player on our team will prob. go after him. He kinda made it a white vs. black thing, should be fun to watch the jawing.




Yeah... there'd have been NONE of that if he hadn't said what he did..... :roll:
O
OleMissInPeace
You don't believe he will get it worse? He painted a target on himself for the "Black boys" to show him what they can do. He might wanna quit worrying about all that crap and worry about this...



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/08/26/15-impact-freshmen/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



15 Impact Freshmen, Nick Brassell WR/CB/Punt Ret./Kick Ret.

Not to mention Donte Moncrief and Tobias Singleton, Sorensen will meet them soon though.
C
Cougs_Rule
OleMissInPeace wrote:
You don't believe he will get it worse? He painted a target on himself for the "Black boys" to show him what they can do. He might wanna quit worrying about all that crap and worry about this...



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/08/26/15-impact-freshmen/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



15 Impact Freshmen, Nick Brassell WR/CB/Punt Ret./Kick Ret.

Not to mention Donte Moncrief and Tobias Singleton, Sorensen will meet them soon though.


I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt,because I agree with your point about the instability of the Big 12 and bc you have been mostly civil; but I'm sorry, "truly you [dont] have a dizzying intellect." THis is about all y'all's stereotyping of BYU players (as your fans have proved) and not about our guy making it a race thing. Youve been drinking Too much Southern Comfort, OleMiss koolaid. You have totally missed Sorenson's point.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
OleMissInPeace wrote:
You don't believe he will get it worse? He painted a target on himself for the "Black boys" to show him what they can do. He might wanna quit worrying about all that crap and worry about this...



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/08/26/15-impact-freshmen/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



15 Impact Freshmen, Nick Brassell WR/CB/Punt Ret./Kick Ret.

Not to mention Donte Moncrief and Tobias Singleton, Sorensen will meet them soon though.


I would be more concerned about what Sorensen as BYU's starting strong safety is going to do to your WR's. If he's capable of dislocating the shoulder of one of our own TE's in practice, I'd be worried about the wood he's going to lay on opposing team's receivers. Sorensen isn't some scrawny Utah boy. He's going to be big time in the secondary.
O
OleMissInPeace
I don't think any of Ole Miss' fans hold it against you. If anything we probably respect it, most Ole Miss fans are considering this one of the biggest games of the year. It's the biggest opener we've had in probably 20 years. We are the underdogs, we also realize that and are not cocky or expecting a win at all.
U
Ungoy
I didn't mean to come across as cocky or anything.. I just believe that Sorensen is going to be delivering some big hits in the secondary. Honestly, it's good to have you here OMIP. You're a breath of fresh air fan-wise compared to what BYU dealt with in the Mountain Worst Conference. It's nice to know that fans elsewhere in the country are much more cordial to each other.
O
OleMissInPeace
Ungoy wrote:
I didn't mean to come across as cocky or anything.. I just believe that Sorensen is going to be delivering some big hits in the secondary. Honestly, it's good to have you here OMIP. You're a breath of fresh air fan-wise compared to what BYU dealt with in the Mountain Worst Conference. It's nice to know that fans elsewhere in the country are much more cordial to each other.


I was just saying we aren't cocky at all about this game haha. I wasn't referring to our receivers laying the wood, I think Massie or Sowell will be sent for him if he comes near the line. Brandon Bolden and Enrique Davis love to make contact running the ball as well and are both pretty big.



Nick Brassell I mentioned because of the torch factor, if Sorensen is suspect in coverage then he will be in trouble. The WR core will be laced with speed this year.



I've had a good time posting over here and will continue to check in on you guys after the game. I think it will be a really hard fought game, the winner will have gone through hell.
B
BYULV
We need to cut the guy some slack as he has several family flaws he has had to overcome. First and foremost, his brother Cody played football at Utah - many of us have to deal with these kinds of siblings. He also had a brother play for UNLV whose name is TREVAN, supposedly. (info found in BYU media guide. It also says he was recruited by Ole Miss).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
OleMissInPeace wrote:
I didn't mean to come across as cocky or anything.. I just believe that Sorensen is going to be delivering some big hits in the secondary. Honestly, it's good to have you here OMIP. You're a breath of fresh air fan-wise compared to what BYU dealt with in the Mountain Worst Conference. It's nice to know that fans elsewhere in the country are much more cordial to each other.


I was just saying we aren't cocky at all about this game haha. I wasn't referring to our receivers laying the wood, I think Massie or Sowell will be sent for him if he comes near the line. Brandon Bolden and Enrique Davis love to make contact running the ball as well and are both pretty big.



Nick Brassell I mentioned because of the torch factor, if Sorensen is suspect in coverage then he will be in trouble. The WR core will be laced with speed this year.



I've had a good time posting over here and will continue to check in on you guys after the game. I think it will be a really hard fought game, the winner will have gone through hell.


WR's with speed mean nothing without an accurate QB to deliver the ball. ;)
B
BYULV
Ungoy wrote:
Ungoy wrote:
I didn't mean to come across as cocky or anything.. I just believe that Sorensen is going to be delivering some big hits in the secondary. Honestly, it's good to have you here OMIP. You're a breath of fresh air fan-wise compared to what BYU dealt with in the Mountain Worst Conference. It's nice to know that fans elsewhere in the country are much more cordial to each other.


I was just saying we aren't cocky at all about this game haha. I wasn't referring to our receivers laying the wood, I think Massie or Sowell will be sent for him if he comes near the line. Brandon Bolden and Enrique Davis love to make contact running the ball as well and are both pretty big.



Nick Brassell I mentioned because of the torch factor, if Sorensen is suspect in coverage then he will be in trouble. The WR core will be laced with speed this year.



I've had a good time posting over here and will continue to check in on you guys after the game. I think it will be a really hard fought game, the winner will have gone through hell.


WR's with speed mean nothing without an accurate QB to deliver the ball. ;)


-- signed -- Steve Sarkisian --



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
I don't think any of Ole Miss' QB are at the level of Sark. Sark was an all-american his senior year. That's not merely because he had good receivers, but because he could get the ball where it needed to be.
B
BYULV
I meant to imply sark would be commenting on Locker. Sorry, thought it would be more obvious since sark was a great passing QB, but the one he coached last year was not. Just seemed like something you could hear him say about locker (though I'm sure not out loud).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I think he was talking about Sark's team last year with Jake Locker.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.