Archived Topic

What's More Likely

by SpiffCoug · 8/24/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
What's the most likely outcome in 2011?
S
snoscythe
Even if we lose the first four and to TCU, I have a hard time seeing another loss on the schedule, so this was an easy choice.
O
OleMissInPeace
Got a pretty good schedule to go 11-1, 6-6 will be a bad year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
we're awfully young to go 11-1, that being said, unless we're absolutely destroyed by injuries it would be difficult for us to fall to 6-6 making the 11-1 more likely.
J
jonnylingo
going 11-1 and one is hard given the youth and that all our tough games are away. texas, ole miss, oregon state, hawaii are all away. the rest are very winnable, but beating three out of four of those teams away, while very possible, is not likely.



I think 9 or 10 wins is very realistic with a good chance of getting to 11 in 2012.

But if we manage to win the first two games at ole miss and at texas, then I will start thinking that 11-1 should be expected.



the first two games are huge. If we win both those games and stay healthy we will be set the run the table. our dline and secondary will just get better and stronger as the year goes on, not to mention the offense. by the end of the year i see this team being very dangerous. If we can win the first two games, beating utah and ucf at home should happen.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Call me crazy, but I think that 11-1 is actually very likely, and I wouldn't be surprised by 12-0. There are no unwinnable games on the schedule. At worst, the 2 or 3 toughest games appear to be toss-ups (Texas and TCU), and I fully expect to win at least one of these two games.



In fairness, I have been known to be very blue-goggled at the beginning of the year...but this year and team I think will be very special.
M
mizzoucoug
jonnylingo wrote:
going 11-1 and one is hard given the youth and that all our tough games are away. texas, ole miss, oregon state, hawaii are all away. the rest are very winnable, but beating three out of four of those teams away, while very possible, is not likely.



I think 9 or 10 wins is very realistic with a good chance of getting to 11 in 2012.

But if we manage to win the first two games at ole miss and at texas, then I will start thinking that 11-1 should be expected.



the first two games are huge. If we win both those games and stay healthy we will be set the run the table. our dline and secondary will just get better and stronger as the year goes on, not to mention the offense. by the end of the year i see this team being very dangerous. If we can win the first two games, beating utah and ucf at home should happen.


If we start out 2-0 then you can go ahead and chalk us up for 6-0 because this team is not going to lose at home this year. Utah and UCF will be competitive games but we will be victorious no doubt. Then we get USU and SJSU at home. These first 2 games determine our entire season. Win baby!
M
mormonrasta
6-6 is far more likely.



BYU has had 6 wins or less after the regular season 8 times over the last 20 years. BYU finished the year with 1 regular season loss only twice in the last 20 years. It's so much harder to be great than mediocre.



BYU under Bronco is 1-5 vs. "major" teams on the road (BCS conference teams and Notre Dame) with the only win coming against a horrible Washington team that went down to the wire. BYU is 6-19 in road games vs. "major teams" over the last 20 years. BYU plays 3 road games against BCS conference teams not to mention a "neutral" game vs. TCU a program that has won the last 3 games against us by a score of 101-17. Those games could easily be 4 losses. Plus, BYU could very easily drop 2 out of 3 vs. Utah, UCF, and @Hawaii.



My prediction for the season is 9-3, but if I had to put money on 11-1 or 6-6 for BYU? I'll take 6-6 and pray that I'm wrong.
B
blue42
I do think the first two games will be the hardest for the cougars, but I think the game at Hawaii is the next game that worries me the most.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
What 6 teams will we lose to?



Ole miss

Texas

TCU

UTah

Oregon State



...



...



...



Having a lot of trouble coming up with a 6th. And there is no way we lose all 5 of those games, even,
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
What 6 teams will we lose to?



Ole miss

Texas

TCU

UTah

Oregon State

...

...

...



Having a lot of trouble coming up with a 6th. And there is no way we lose all 5 of those games, even,

Hawaii?
B
Brayden Green
I thought of them, but I really don't think we lose to Hawaii.



I rank them, in order of strength:



TCU

Texas

Oregon State

Utah

Ole Miss

Hawaii



The rest of the games we can win with our second string in the majority of the games.
B
BYULV
Playing in Hawaii always worries me. 1) It is too easy for our young players to get distracted being in the islands for the first time. 2) for some reason the Rainbows always get up for games in Hawaii against BYU. 3) jet lag adjustment.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
I think we go 9-3. Going 11-1 is a tall order. Going 6-6 will not happen - that would be a disaster. It would require for Jake Heaps to get injured in game 1 or 2 & be lost for the season. I hope NOT!
R
rblack
Ddawg wrote:
I think we go 9-3. Going 11-1 is a tall order. Going 6-6 will not happen - that would be a disaster. It would require for Jake Heaps to get injured in game 1 or 2 & be lost for the season. I hope NOT!

I don't think we go 6-6 even if we lose Heaps on the first play. Our defense will be able to do what our defense failed to do early last year. That, coupled with our Offensive line and Runningbacks and any quarterback on the team should win 7+ games. With Heaps, I expect 9+.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.