Archived Topic

Significance of BYU vs Utes early season

by byucougar1 · 8/23/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.tornbysports.com/the-importance-of-the-early-byu-vs-utah-game/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tornbysports%2FyqSV+%28TornBySports.com%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



My take is that this game will set the tone for remainder of season not just for state bragging rights and in-state recruiting. Could turn out to be along the lines of Red River Shootout berween UT and OU. The Holy War in-state rivalry may now get the exposure around the country that beforehand was just local and may be regional to some degree. Here's hoping we beat them soundly but they have a good season afterwards. Gives cred to the quality of our team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Frankly, I would be happier to see them never win another game as long as they have a football team. I couldn't care less about legitamacy in playing them. The only thing that shuts up their obnoxious fans is to have them lose.
C
Cougy_Monster
frdbtr wrote:
Frankly, I would be happier to see them never win another game as long as they have a football team. I couldn't care less about legitamacy in playing them. The only thing that shuts up their obnoxious fans is to have them lose.


Agreed



The yewts could never win another game for all I care. We have nothing to gain from their success. No conference ties. Nothing.



Let our other opponents have good seasons to help our strength of schedule. We don't need it from the yewts.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Cougy_Monster wrote:
Frankly, I would be happier to see them never win another game as long as they have a football team. I couldn't care less about legitamacy in playing them. The only thing that shuts up their obnoxious fans is to have them lose.


Agreed



The yewts could never win another game for all I care. We have nothing to gain from their success. No conference ties. Nothing.



Let our other opponents have good seasons to help our strength of schedule. We don't need it from the yewts.


All it will take is on 3-9 season and that bandwagon will empty out faster than it filled up. All the unassociated :utard: fans (as we all know, 95% of :utard: fans didn't go to the :utard: , or any other college - they are just :utard: fans because they hate BYU) will bail on that team and throw the mighty weight of their bandwagon allegiance behind the Blaze.



And we'll be back to the good old days, where they are giving away tickets at the 7-11 with hopes of putting 20K inebriated butts in the ugly red seats.
L
Lawboy
I like the game week 3. Would like it better late October, and do not think we need it to be our final game.



BYU does not need Utah. Utah does not need BYU. Both teams can make it just fine without the other. Obviously, we currently need the game more for scheduling simply because Utah has the PAC schedule to fall back on and we are having a tougher time getting teams to come to LES. Just a current reality. But if that game goes away, BYU will find another game, but doubtful it will fill the stands and create the same excitement locally.



I think the state of Utah loses if the game goes away. It could also affect fundraising for both schools because this game really gets fans invested--in many ways. Personally < ithink if the game goes to Week 1, I would be fine with it. CU-CSU do it, and Florida-Florida State have done it before too.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
The more I think about it, the more I'd be just fine if we didn't play the :utard: anymore...or at least not every year. IF the game is replaced by another BCS caliber team. Replace the game with Weber or Louisiana Tech and I'll be pissed. Replace it with, say, Texas Tech or BC or even Indiana, just fine with me.
L
Lawboy
How about replace it with a BIG XII schedule for 2013 or 2014?
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
How about replace it with a BIG XII schedule for 2013 or 2014?


Even better
1
1967cougar
frdbtr wrote:
Frankly, I would be happier to see them never win another game as long as they have a football team. I couldn't care less about legitamacy in playing them. The only thing that shuts up their obnoxious fans is to have them lose.

AMEN!!!
S
SpiffCoug
I think it'd be fun to have it be the season openerer.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Have BYU win a few years in a row and the Uteies will bail on this rivalry just as quick as they did the mwc. This would be right up there with early talks of idiot ute fans (and I'm sure behind closed dept doors) of, we don't need byu as a tough OOC game anymore. We have the sos of the pac-12.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Have BYU win a few years in a row and the Uteies will bail on this rivalry just as quick as they did the mwc. This would be right up there with early talks of idiot ute fans (and I'm sure behind closed dept doors) of, we don't need byu as a tough OOC game anymore. We have the sos of the pac-12.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This is very true.
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
Have BYU win a few years in a row and the Uteies will bail on this rivalry just as quick as they did the mwc. This would be right up there with early talks of idiot ute fans (and I'm sure behind closed dept doors) of, we don't need byu as a tough OOC game anymore. We have the sos of the pac-12.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This is very true.


...and that's when we replace the game with Baylor or Iowa St or WSU or someother cellar dweller "Bc$" team (or, as previously mentioned, a full B-12 slate)
J
jonnylingo
I was on 1280 this morning onthe way to work talking about this issue. I told them the rivalry will continue becuase when utah only win 6 and 7 games a year their fan base will dwindle and they will need byu to keep filling seats.
S
stuckinbig10country
I think I may actually prefer the rivalry game played earlier in the year. Someone mentioned the Red River Shootout between Texas and Oklahoma as a model. I think the football will be better at the beginning of the year due to better weather and fewer injuries.



I think the game survives. I wouldn't even be against the Utah legislature going Texas/Ohio legislature and making it a requirement for the game to be played if Utah starts thinking that they are above the game. Fact is, they still don't carry the market and probably never will.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.