Archived Topic

The New Offensive Scheme...

by Cougs_Rule · 8/21/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
..."hasnt changed much" according to McKay Jacobson.

Which would be supported by the fact that Bronco is moving onto OleMiss game prep earlier than normal. I think this eliminates at least one excuse if the offense struggles. It would not reasonably be said that "its a new scheme and players dont know what to do yet."

Of course, I really doubt this offense is going to struggle. And as they introduce more of the playbook each week, its will just become more dynamic.
L
Lawboy
Perhaps WR formations and such have not, but the changes that have occurred are significant. Wait until we start seeing more motion, more 3 WR sets and more QB under center. Basically, we are seeing more diversity in the offense, even if routes are similar.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good points. There is also a change in the offensive team attitude and aggresiveness, which I guess can be similar to diversity. I saw a few new wrinkles to the Oline yesterday that I left out of my observations.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Yeah I think the out-routes are similar, which concerns me actually a little. Our receivers have had a hard time getting lose against good D's.



But the offense is much changed. Jake is under the center most of the time now, and that will improve the running game too.
S
stuckinbig10country
At the open scrimmage (I didn't bring my notebook, so I didn't chart the plays), it seemed that shotgun was used more often than I had anticipated from all the reports about being under center coming out of camp. I believe that Heaps ran about 50% out of shotgun, maybe a little less. Nelson ran out of shotgun at least 50%. I guess that is less than the 80 to 90% of the years past.



I think the routes will be similar to the previous offense, maybe better disguised to some extent, but that's to be expected. It's not like there are a lot of different routes out there, and most route combinations are similar across the board. I think it will be important to see if Cahoon has trained the receivers on how to get off the line better against press coverage. I just rewatched a couple of the BYU/Utah games (2006 and 2009) and the poorer than average completion percentage wasn't that the receivers didn't get open, especially in 2009. Chambers was open a lot that day, but the timing was thrown off because of the initial bump at the line of scrimmage.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Did anyone notice if the offensive line splits have been brought down to normal, or are we still lining up with huge splits when in shotgun (Texas Tech style)?
B
blue42
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Did anyone notice if the offensive line splits have been brought down to normal, or are we still lining up with huge splits when in shotgun (Texas Tech style)?


I personally haven't seen but I read an article where Doman stated the line splits will be pulled back in to more normal, just like a true pro style offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
BYU is going dark for practices now, so I assume the new wrinkles are about to get put in. I think BYU ran base stuff in scrimmages because anyone could attend, including scouts from other teams. Why run complex stuff and tip your hand at those events?



I think changes are in the works, and they are about to go down. As media will not be allowed into the full practice session anymore either, reports on practices from here on out will be basic, because they only get to see the last 30 minutes or so.
C
Cougs_Rule
I didnt keep close track of wide splits this past saturday, but I dont remember very many if any at all.

Maybe that is one reason why so many qb sacks are happening by OLB's

And I think Lawboy is probably correct. This is why Mckay said it hasnt changed much. As well, why some prep for OleMiss may very well be changes for the whole season; or rather, additions to the "base" offense run thus far.
G
Gunk
Lawboy wrote:
Perhaps WR formations and such have not, but the changes that have occurred are significant. Wait until we start seeing more motion, more 3 WR sets and more QB under center. Basically, we are seeing more diversity in the offense, even if routes are similar.


Wait, are you saying if the QB is lined up under center that could mean we are actually going to throw it instead of hand it off?



My guess is the actual plays themselves haven't changed much, but rather than do the same predictable plays Doman is going to mix in plays Anae was shy to use. I didn't expect Doman to come in with a whole new offensive scheme. He hasn't even been OC for a year yet and is still coaching the QBs. He'll reinvent the wheel overtime.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.