Archived Topic

Updates from Saturday scrimmage

by Cougs_Rule · 8/20/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Heaps went 5/5 on first drive. JJ ran in for TD.

Lark started 2nd series. Had a 20 yard pass to convert a long 3rd down. Then had a pick off a tipped pass, under a speed rush.

Riley started 3rd series. Threw a 40 yard, underthrown, could have been picked but receiver did a great job coming back for pass to get completion; PI was also called on play.

Alisa had nice run of 8 yards with pads popping. Then showed a lot of speed for an 8 yard TD run. He looks promising. Listed at 6'1", 213, shows good speed. Wouldn't be surprized to see him get some reps from kariya.

JP, Ogle, Uona,and KVN not played thru 5 series.

Lark started 4th series. Ansah got a lot of reps. Looks good on a few plays then looks confused imo, on a play or two. Defense stopped 4th series; sorenson missed 47 yard fg try, tipped at line, lo kick.

Riley started 5th series. Nicely zipped pass of 9 yards.nice scramble for 1st down, whistle blown before getting tackled; another scramble blown dead before tackled; 2/5 completion, 5th pass was high but catchable.

Lark started 6th series. 1/4 if I counter correctly.

Munns started 7th series. A few nice passes.

Sorry for not getting more complete stats. I see Gurney and DH here. They will prob have all stats. O looked good. Hard to judge D without the Big 4 LB's in there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
so offense struggled all week with the defense 1's and full defensive packages but does well once the 1s are held off of scrimmage.



could it be our Defense is just better than our offense?
B
BroncoBot
I'd be totally fine with BYU's D being absolutely phenomenal and the offense being good to great. Last year I was way more excited about the way the defense ended the year. Good stuff when a team can't do ANYTHING offensively.
B
byucougar1
Teams win with a strong defense - a they create turnovers/takeaways/good field position for the offense to score. This may be the key to our winning several close games this year. Here's hoping that the offense capitalizes on the strength of the D.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I saw a tweet that said the whole front 7 was out. Sorry I missed that. I thought Fangupo (i guess hes a two) was out there. I also thought I saw Manu out there. If that is the case, then that front 7 will be beasts--particularly with the heart of that D being the inside and the outside contain and speed of the OLB's. It should be very awesome to watch.

At the risk of overrating this team, I really dont think the O is average, I think that D is superb!!
Advertisement
K
Kajdin
I never really understood all the hype for the O. Yea they're gonna be great but I kept expecting D hype to come and none has.
M
mizzoucoug
I'll take a shutdown D anyday over a high-scoring offense. There will be games when the O just doesn't have it and the defense will need to carry the day. That's TCU's formula after all. They know that if they score 24 points the game is over because nobody can consistently march on them...however they have the ability to get quick strike TD's when necessary. Dunno if we can...
C
Cougs_Rule
Kajdin wrote:
I never really understood all the hype for the O. Yea they're gonna be great but I kept expecting D hype to come and none has.


It came this past week. Many of us just mistook it for the Offense and QB stinking. I can see how this d can be a real wrecking crew.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.