Archived Topic

Best Ever -- Head Coach

by SpiffCoug · 8/20/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think we'll just skip right to the poll. And I think we'll just go with Coach Edwards and Coach Mendenhall as I really don't think any argument can be made for anyone outside of those two.
K
Kajdin
I love Bronco and am too young to really remember Lavell but I had to vote Lavell. His accomplishments far outweigh Bronco's at this point. Without Lavell Bronoc's team would have little or no national respect.
S
Schmoe
I don't get how this isn't a unanimous decision at this point.
S
SpiffCoug
I went with Bronco, because I think he has embraced everything that BYU is about.
U
Ungoy
Can't vote for anyone except for Lavell. He defined BYU football. He is a legend. I love Bronco as head coach right now, and I think he is off to a fantastic start, but he's not even on the same lake, let alone in the same boat as Lavell at this time.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Who besides Bronco & Lavell have winning records at BYU?



LaVell is in the Hall-of-Fame. Ten years from now the voting could be different, but now it's LaVell hands down.
F
frdbtr
There is only 1 best ever at BYU right now. Having said that, Bronco just might eclipse what Lavelle did when all is said and done.
S
SpiffCoug
vancouvercougar wrote:
Who besides Bronco & Lavell have winning records at BYU

The following coaches have winning records:

Bronco Mendenhall: 56-21, .727

Gary Crowton: 26-23, .531

Lavell Edwards: 257-101-3, .718

Eddie Kimball: 34-32-8, .515 (coached from 1937-41 & 1946-48)

G. Ott Romney: 42-31-5 (coached from 1928-36)
A
Alphaleonis
I attended BYU during the Tommy Hudspeth days (before my mission) and the Lavell Edwards days post mission. I voted for Bronco because of his better winning % and his better post game interviews and other interviews (somewhat tongue in cheek)



I think the BYU FB program was in more disarray when Bronco took it than when Lavell took it. Tommy Hudspeth was a pretty good coach. They had won I think their first WAC championship with Hudpeth as coach the year before I got there. Hudspeth developed Virgil Carter - the first great BYU QB.



I'm not as down on Crowton as some either though. I believe that if Matt Berry hadn't broken his throwing hand on a freak play, and if not for rape-gate. He might still be the head coach here.



But Bronco is the best. Maybe partially because of rape-gate. But for whatever reason he seems to have the players toeing the line better than anyone.
M
mizzoucoug
Where's the Crowton option?
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
mizzoucoug wrote:
Where's the Crowton option?


Crowton was on option for one year only. After that it was all down hill.
S
scott715
I love Bronco but Lavell is the legend. In a few years this poll will be much tougher.
1
1967cougar
Schmoe wrote:
I don't get how this isn't a unanimous decision at this point.

Probably younger fans who don't know LaVell.



We should have a poll on who the worse Cougar Coach was. Tommy Hudsputh gets my vote for that. I actually was a freshman when he coached. He ruined our program, went on to ruin UTEP's. Then destroyed the Detroit Lions. they still haven't recovered!
N
nuk13
I think it should be like George Washington, only one man running: Lavell Edwards. Bronco's time is coming. It would not let me vote but that's my vote as a write in.
S
snoscythe
nuk13 wrote:
I think it should be like George Washington, only one man running: Lavell Edwards. Bronco's time is coming. It would not let me vote but that's my vote as a write in.


Even George Washington has to put up with Lincoln.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
To me, it's an interesting question, because of the reasons (for being the greatest) it brings to mind.



I voted for Lavell. I don't think there is a real comparison at this point. Lavell did what NO other coach in history has done. He changed the face of football, from college, to the NFL, to pee wee league. No matter who else shares the credit for the offense that he created, it was all done under his supervision (there is a meaningful pun hidden in that last word). He made football a better game. I can't imagine any other person having as great an impact on football as Lavell has had. It isn't really that Lavell was a great coach as much as it is that he was a great administrater and mentor, with "super-vision" to see that something could be created that would transform his team into a winner and a power house program. For you young guys, before Lavell, BYU was a low end football program that had a few winning seasons, and was Utah's perennial doormat. I think Lavell is the greatest coach in history, because of what he accomplished.



On the other hand, Bronco has done amazing things for the program from a football standpoint, and has brought them to a whole new level from a spiritual leadership standpoint. He has done what almost all posters on CB and other boards said was impossible to do. He has brought the religious aspect of BYU, and the honor code to the forefront (far beyond what Lavell did), while returning BYU to former glory. He is bringing in the best athletes that BYU has ever had, in greater numbers than ever before, and finding ones who really want to be here. He has instituted a fireside program that people called idiotic when he suggested it, and has had resounding success at bringing the team's influence to young people wherever they play. From an overall effect on the program, the school and the missionary program of the church standpoint, the day may come when Bronco's accomplishments will overshadow even those of Lavell
S
stuckinbig10country
I think Bronco coaches for another 6 to 10 years. If he has the same winning percentage after his tenure, which is better than coach Edwards, has 3 to 4 more top 10 finishes, challenges for at least 1 national title, finishes 8 or 9 of the next 10 years ranked, then it will be tough not to pick him as the best coach in BYU history. The college football landscape has changed so much since coach Edwards first 20 years (which by all accounts were his most successful), and Bronco has brought the team into this new era better than any of us could have pictured when he first took over as at least the 3rd choice (he's said he was the 4th choice).



Having said that, there is one person in the history of the school that can claim that his name is on the football stadium, and it's for good reason. As of right now, the best coach in BYU football history is Lavell Edwards.
C
Cougs_Rule
I know some might be appaled by this comparison and some don't get golf at all...

But who is the greatest golfer? Jack or Tiger?

Now I know Tiger is "farther" along in coming close to Jack than Bronco is catching LaVel in wins and accolades, but, yes I would say Bronco is definitely the heir-apparent, but he has not beaten out LaVel.

I am intrigued about the points others have made about spirituality, recruits "wanting to come anf fit" w BYU and if he keeps getting top recruits with this formula, that has to be oworth some serious style points such that he wouldn't need to eclipse Lavel in wins and maybe even contending for NC vs actually winning the NC can be acceptable.

As for Crowton still being here? Aside from his recruiting failures--there was more than just rapeigate coming down the road; but offensively he has been a 1-3 year wonder and then blunder. He was not "built to last" at byu.

10 more years Bronco!! C'mon, sign up.:-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nuk13
[quote="bigbluepuma"]To me, it's an interesting question, because of the reasons (for being the greatest) it brings to mind.



I voted for Lavell. I don't think there is a real comparison at this point. Lavell did what NO other coach in history has done. He changed the face of football, from college, to the NFL, to pee wee league. No matter who else shares the credit for the offense that he created, it was all done under his supervision (there is a meaningful pun hidden in that last word). He made football a better game. I can't imagine any other person having as great an impact on football as Lavell has had. It isn't really that Lavell was a great coach as much as it is that he was a great administrater and mentor, with "super-vision" to see that something could be created that would transform his team into a winner and a power house program. For you young guys, before Lavell, BYU was a low end football program that had a few winning seasons, and was Utah's perennial doormat. I think Lavell is the greatest coach in history, because of what he accomplished.



Bigblue, if I hadn't have voted for coach Edwards I sure would have after reading your tribute. What he did to football is greater than his record (which is great). I remember watching the Cougars throwing the ball around the field for 10 to 15 yard gains untill there was an opening to the endzone. You could feel the confidence eminating from the field and the players in blue. You knew what was going to happen. Many games were over by half time or early 3rd quarter. Because of Edwards I have never believed you needed a great run game if you played "Edward's ball". Other schools, including Utah, were lucky to get within 20 points of BYU. Only the best in the nation could contend and they had higher profile recruits.



Bronco's day is coming but for now, thanks for the thrills Coach Edwards.
B
BoiseBYU
I've been around for a while and I only remember Lavell and Bronco--Gary I sort of suppressed....
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.