Archived Topic

Day 10--Offense Struggles Against #2 Corners

by snoscythe · 8/17/2011

Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Wasn’t the consensus earlier that there isn't much a drop off from our 1's and 2's in the secondary. If that is true, shouldn't we be more surprised if the offense didn't struggle against them?
B
beauso79
Those #2 corners probably would have started for us in years past. It's a credit to the depth we have at corner this year. The thing that concerns me is why has Daniel Sorenson been held out of practice the last couple days with no injury to report??
L
Lawboy
I think we need to recognize that our #3 corners would have started for us as recent as 2008. We are that deep and athletic at corner compared to years passed.



As to issues with the offense, yes, they need to step it up soon. But considering how they had their way the first week, I am glad the D is fighting back. I hope it goes back and forth from here on out. That would be a great sign.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
I think we need to recognize that our #3 corners would have started for us as recent as 2008. We are that deep and athletic at corner compared to years passed.



As to issues with the offense, yes, they need to step it up soon. But considering how they had their way the first week, I am glad the D is fighting back. I hope it goes back and forth from here on out. That would be a great sign.


I don't know that the defense has been "fighting back" after the first week as much as Bronco has unleashed his full defensive playbook on the offense after taking it light the first few weeks. If that's the case, there's reason to be concerned about and offense that is anemic against a "more real" defense.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
I think we need to recognize that our #3 corners would have started for us as recent as 2008. We are that deep and athletic at corner compared to years passed.



As to issues with the offense, yes, they need to step it up soon. But considering how they had their way the first week, I am glad the D is fighting back. I hope it goes back and forth from here on out. That would be a great sign.


I don't know that the defense has been "fighting back" after the first week as much as Bronco has unleashed his full defensive playbook on the offense after taking it light the first few weeks. If that's the case, there's reason to be concerned about and offense that is anemic against a "more real" defense.


I wouldn't underestimate a full on, blitz from everywhere, trick play defense like Bronco's.Especially with the talent we have. Our defense will be as good as or much MUCH better than any team that we play this year (with the exception of most likely TCU, and possibly Texas.)



Our defense is legit, as long as our safeties can figure out where in the hell they are supposed to be playing. If that is happening, it's absolute scariness.
S
snoscythe
So are we just ignoring the fact that it's to the point where even Bronco is telling the media he's diappointed with what the offense has done the past couple of days?



That indicates to me pretty strongly that we are seeing problems on offense at least as much, if not more than, defensive success.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
To me, it is really hard to say we have issues when the QBs are doing solid on the drills section by all accounts, but then have 1 bad series each day in the scrimmage section. Yeah, things have not been awesome in the scrimmage, but they have also been really short and limited. I think Jake has had 4 series the last 2 days and 2 were for TDs. His passing stats were not awesome, but 50% TD efficiency is. Hard to say. But if Bronco is concerned, I believe has has reason to be.
C
Cougs_Rule
I wonder with all the "highlight personalities" or better put, prone-ness toward cockiness and showboat on the offense if they werent getting a little over-confident in their success in beating the defense and then when faced with Bronco's fury and blitzes have been exposed as "not that experienced" and the OC's also a little "new", etc, and they need to step it up to the next level--and havent done so as quickly as Bronco would like. Personally, I like it. Let the defense dominate for a week. The O did the first week--at least won out. Ebb and flow--as was suggested by a previous thread/poster.
C
craigoscarson
If you asked me how I wanted to see fall camp go, I would have preferred the offense to get humbled in the preseason and the defense to get much needed confidence. Mission accomplished.





I won't judge either group until after Ole Miss, but I would rather have a great defense and a suitable offense with some explosive parts.. than a great offense with a suitable defense.
Advertisement
C
crh55
craigoscarson wrote:

I won't judge either group until after Ole Miss, but I would rather have a great defense and a suitable offense with some explosive parts.. than a great offense with a suitable defense.


After last year's opener I will hold off on judging either group. I was pumped after what felt like a solid victory over the supposed #1 QB in the country. Only to watch complete ineptitude the following week against Airforce. Even with a win at Ole Miss, we should remain cautiously optimistic.



The O has plenty of talent, I just hope Doman delivers right out of the gates, instead of having a slow learning curve.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
I think we are also seeing a maturation of Doman's schemes and play calling. He needs to figure out how to adjust to Bronco's schemes.
F
frdbtr
I would expect that BYU is not going to light up the scoreboard. Brand new Ocoordinators usually take a few games to get into a play calling groove. Lets just hope that our defense plays well enough for us to squeak out some close victories in the mean time.
S
SpiffCoug
Let the offense play a few games. I wouldn't draw any conclusions off of the Ole Miss game. They may not be a good team.
O
OleMissInPeace
SpiffCoug wrote:
Let the offense play a few games. I wouldn't draw any conclusions off of the Ole Miss game. They may not be a good team.


If you beat us, and handidly expect to have a good year. He may not have the experience, but we will have the talent all over the field. Last year we lacked talent at LB.



We may not have a good overall record, 7-5 or so but we are also playing a HARD schedule.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
OleMissInPeace wrote:
Let the offense play a few games. I wouldn't draw any conclusions off of the Ole Miss game. They may not be a good team.


If you beat us, and handidly expect to have a good year. He may not have the experience, but we will have the talent all over the field. Last year we lacked talent at LB.



We may not have a good overall record, 7-5 or so but we are also playing a HARD schedule.


Oh please. Playing Jacksonville St, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Fresno St, Kentucky, Louisiana Lafeyette and Tennesse gives you a "HARD schedule?"



You play some elite teams, and you play some High School teams. You are the Mountain West of the East.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Let the offense play a few games. I wouldn't draw any conclusions off of the Ole Miss game. They may not be a good team.


If you beat us, and handidly expect to have a good year. He may not have the experience, but we will have the talent all over the field. Last year we lacked talent at LB.



We may not have a good overall record, 7-5 or so but we are also playing a HARD schedule.


Oh please. Playing Jacksonville St, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Fresno St, Kentucky, Louisiana Lafeyette and Tennesse gives you a "HARD schedule?"



You play some elite teams, and you play some High School teams. You are the Mountain West of the East.

He is talking about the 2011 Ole Miss schedule which does not have Jack State, LL, Tenn, or Tulane. Does have So. Ill, BYU, Fresno State, Louisiana Tech as OOC. And yes - Vandy in conference. And don't forget LSU, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Miss St, Kentucky



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:
OleMissInPeace wrote:
Let the offense play a few games. I wouldn't draw any conclusions off of the Ole Miss game. They may not be a good team.


If you beat us, and handidly expect to have a good year. He may not have the experience, but we will have the talent all over the field. Last year we lacked talent at LB.



We may not have a good overall record, 7-5 or so but we are also playing a HARD schedule.


Oh please. Playing Jacksonville St, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Fresno St, Kentucky, Louisiana Lafeyette and Tennesse gives you a "HARD schedule?"



You play some elite teams, and you play some High School teams. You are the Mountain West of the East.

He is talking about the 2011 Ole Miss schedule which does not have Jack State, LL, Tenn, or Tulane. Does have So. Ill, BYU, Fresno State, Louisiana Tech as OOC. And yes - Vandy in conference. And don't forget LSU, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Miss St, Kentucky



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Southern Illinois sucks (5-6)

Fresno St sucks (8-5, 5-3 in the WAC)

Louisiana Tech sucks (5-7, 4-4 in WAC)

Vandy sucks (2-10, 1-7)

Kentucky sucks (6-7, 2-6 in SEC play)



That is 5 guaranteed, no sweat at all wins.



Mississippi St. (9-4, 4-4 in the SEC)

- should be noted that 4 OOC wins were Memphis, Alcorn St, Houston and UAB



That is half your schedule you should walk away from with an easy win.



I mean, congrats for scheduling a hard OOC game in BYU (you will actually come to regret it), but don't act like you are playing all world beaters, all the time. BYU just needs to schedule a top 25 team or two (which they do, consistently) and their MWC schedule is the same as yours.
L
Lawboy
I think we struggle to win 8 games with the Ole Miss schedule, while I expect us to win at least 9 with ours. They have a tougher road this year than us. They have cupckakes, but so do we. And our cupcakes are worse than theirs.
O
OleMissInPeace
Ok lets see here



Texas, Oreg. St, Utah, TCU



Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Miss. State, Arkansas, and Fresno



Fresno will be up for a SEC team coming to their place and we beat em last year. I think we have the tougher road...



If Ole Miss had that I would be pissed with less than 9 wins.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.