Archived Topic

Uniform colors

by Kajdin · 8/17/2011

Advertisement
K
Kajdin
Is It just me or is the blue lighter then it used to be? It seems the color they used on the stadium and the pictures I've seen this year are slightly lighter then the old "navy" blue.
K
Kjirstin Youngberg
The uniform looks a little lighter this year, but it changes, depending upon what Nike and the school go for that season. I prefer the deep royal blue rather than navy or a true royal blue, but then, I'm OLD. What do I know?
E
EM_Puma
How do we get Holmoe/Bronco to:



1) Change back to BYU blue

2) Do like everyone else and come up with some descent imaginative uniforms. We are so unimaginative.



I watch alot of college football and we are about as boring as Penn States all-white helmets. Dang I grew up with the Browns being the only team in the NFL with nothing on their helmets but orange--that was boring enough, but to use such little color combinations and then for it to be such a standard blue, it's boring.
C
Cougarbib
How many more wins would it get us?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Funny that you mention this - the two shirts that I just ordered from the BYU bookstore got to me and I noticed that they had BYU in a lighter shade of blue



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
Bronco wanted the change back to Royal Blue as part of the move to independence. He fought for it, but Nike and school contracts with them kept it from happening.
M
Mingjai
Kajdin wrote:
Is It just me or is the blue lighter then it used to be? It seems the color they used on the stadium and the pictures I've seen this year are slightly lighter then the old "navy" blue.


Good eye. In 2010, BYU switched their official blue from Pantone 282 C (the navy blue often used on the US flag) to Pantone 648 C. That may or may not show up in uniforms or licensed apparel depending on how well Nike and others can match the color with their textiles, but you would see the difference in online and printed designs.



Here are what the swatches look like (from the ColorWerx website http://www.ssur.org/):



http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/ColorWerx/College/FYR/FYR-B/Colors/Solid/BrighamYoungU_OFF_1998_SCC_SRGB.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/ColorWerx/College/FYR/FYR-B/Colors/Solid/BrighamYoungU_OFF_2009_SCC_SRGB.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/ColorWerx/College/FYR/FYR-B/Colors/Solid/BrighamYoungU_OFF_9999_SCC_SRGB.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Then let's move away from Nike. I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that would be happy to sponsor us in royal. Navy makes us look like every other team (Utah St., Penn St., etc.), but a true royal would really set us apart.
B
BroncoBot
I don't understand why Nike doesn't want to go to royal. It seems that bright colors are in right now. Wouldn't royal sell more given current fashion?
M
Mingjai
Schmoe wrote:
Then let's move away from Nike. I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that would be happy to sponsor us in royal. Navy makes us look like every other team (Utah St., Penn St., etc.), but a true royal would really set us apart.


If the darker blue encourages more people buy and wear more BYU gear then I'm all for the darker blue. I was at BYU on either side of the color change, and qualitatively, it seemed that more people wore BYU stuff after the switch to navy. In 1996, the amount of people wearing royal blue to the games was under 50%. In 2000, the amount of people wearing navy seemed much more than 50%.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
declocoug wrote:
I don't understand why Nike doesn't want to go to royal. It seems that bright colors are in right now. Wouldn't royal sell more given current fashion?


Nike doesn't want to switch probably for the same reason that Reebok wouldn't let Ocho-Cinco change the name on the back of his jersey for a while: Inventory. If the company has a warehouse full of our stuff in navy blue and we switch to royal blue it becomes very hard to sell the navy blue stuff.
S
Schmoe
Mingjai wrote:
Then let's move away from Nike. I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that would be happy to sponsor us in royal. Navy makes us look like every other team (Utah St., Penn St., etc.), but a true royal would really set us apart.


If the darker blue encourages more people buy and wear more BYU gear then I'm all for the darker blue. I was at BYU on either side of the color change, and qualitatively, it seemed that more people wore BYU stuff after the switch to navy. In 1996, the amount of people wearing royal blue to the games was under 50%. In 2000, the amount of people wearing navy seemed much more than 50%.


Sure, but times have changed, fashion has changed, we are no longer 1996 or 2000.
C
Cougarpoke
I like the darker blue so much better to wear. As for the uniforms. The royal blue was pretty cool, but I really like our colors now and i like the uniforms. I guess i am just scared if we do any changes we will end up with bibs again.
S
SpoCoug
The pro-royal blue crowd is certainly more vocal than the pro-navy blue crowd--maybe that's because the pro-navy blue crowd already has what it wants. There must be others like me who think the navy is great and would hate to see us go back to royal blue. I thought the decision to go back to the old helmet/uniforms but with the navy blue was brilliant--similar to when the NY Jets went back to their old look but with a darker green. Navy blue is easier on the eyes, easier to wear, and, yes, IMHO, looks better on the BYU uniforms.
S
Schmoe
Yep, "easier on the eyes" meaning it doesn't show up in a stadium full of navy shirts, it doesn't pop, it doesn't look unique in the least.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougarpoke wrote:
I like the darker blue so much better to wear. As for the uniforms. The royal blue was pretty cool, but I really like our colors now and i like the uniforms. I guess i am just scared if we do any changes we will end up with bibs again.


Yes - Bibs



The Bibster



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Royal Blue all the way - "marketing" be damned!
H
HoosierCougar
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I don't understand why Nike doesn't want to go to royal. It seems that bright colors are in right now. Wouldn't royal sell more given current fashion?


Nike doesn't want to switch probably for the same reason that Reebok wouldn't let Ocho-Cinco change the name on the back of his jersey for a while: Inventory. If the company has a warehouse full of our stuff in navy blue and we switch to royal blue it becomes very hard to sell the navy blue stuff.


It may be just the opposite... LaVell used to quip about BYU fans traveling to Bowl Games that "a Mormon business man goes on a trip with the 10 commandments and a $100 bill and doesn't break either of them" and that's how the Cougar Faithful respond to bowls.



If BYU fans are cheap (and many of them are) then they'll wear 2 year old gear (unless they can get the new stuff for $5 ea). So a licenced Nike shirt or sweatshirt or jacket ($25, $45, $65 or more, respectively) isn't likely a key purchase item for a frugal fan.



My own experience (running the Alumni Store for the Marriott School while getting my MBA) is my only data point other than the many Mormons who personify LaVell's anecdote.
S
snoscythe
HoosierCougar wrote:
LaVell used to quip about BYU fans traveling to Bowl Games that "a Mormon business man goes on a trip with the 10 commandments and a $100 bill and doesn't break either of them" and that's how the Cougar Faithful respond to bowls.


It was a $20 bill.
S
stuckinbig10country
I would like for them to get many color combinations (not as many as Maryland or Oregon).



I would like jerseys in navy, royal, black (with royal blue numbers) and white. I would like pants in navy, royal and white.



And the comment above about helping us win games. The direct answer is no, obviously. The indirect answer is yes. The jersey color may not mean much more than a personal preference to most of us fans, but to 16 and 17 year old kids, it actually makes a difference where they go to school. Oregon gets people it used to not get (actually, fairly recently) because of their different uniforms.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.