Archived Topic

BYUtv

by doublej · 8/16/2011

Advertisement
D
doublej
Anybody know if it is possible to stream byutv games through a wii?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Isola
I have been wondering that too. I hope you get an answer.
Q
Qman
Technically feasible with a new Wii program yes. I haven't heard anything about BYUtv planning on making the program.
U
Ungoy
It would be awesome if there was a homebrew app that could do that. I'm not aware of anything, though.
R
redneckjedi
Is it not possible to do it using the Wii web browser? I have no idea if it has Flash, but if it did, you should be good to go.
Advertisement
D
doublej
Yeah I try using the browser and It tries to load but never does.



How about attaching an iPhone to your tv? Is that possible?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
doublej wrote:
Yeah I try using the browser and It tries to load but never does.



How about attaching an iPhone to your tv? Is that possible?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm not an expert on iPhones, but if you can attach one to a monitor and project it's screen on a monitor than you should be able to do it. That would likely be easier than trying to get BYUtv streaming on a Wii. If you have a desktop or laptop you can also easily hook it up to a TV. Keep in mind, though, you will likely lose some resolution and the image from iPhone up on the TV won't be full screen. You may be better off just hunched over your iPhone unless of course you're trying to watch it with a group of friends.
M
Mingjai
You could also go to eBay and buy a Roku XD for about $50. The BYUTV Roku app is pretty good and is free like the iPhone app.
D
DarthMagnus
It is not possible to stream BYUtv to the wii. The wii's Opera browser uses an out of date version of flash that Nintendo hasn't bothered to update in a long while and considering the fact that they are pressing forward with their new Wii U system so aggresively, I doubt there will be any more updates in the pipe. As such, the wii browser only supports Flash 8 and parts of Flash 9, both of which are out of date. It is technically possible that someone could program a homebrew application that would remedy this, but I am not aware of any that exist currently and I doubt there is much developer interest in this area. The wii is quite crippled in terms of RAM that is available to the browser, and flash is very RAM heavy, so I doubt anybody would really want to try.



As for iphones, you're in much better luck. You should be able to pick up a cable that you can just plug into your tv. They run anywhere from 20-50$. You could then use the BYUtv app on the phone and watch it on your tv, but I'm not sure what the quality would be like as the feed is compressed quite a bit for mobile devices. It might be worth a try though. Also, if you have an apple tv, you could easily stream the feed on your phone over wifi to the apple tv. But at 99$, I'm not sure apple tv is worth it just for BYUtv.



The Roku isn't a bad idea at all. If, however, you have a laptop, you could very easily just hook that up to your television with a VGA, DVi, or HDMI cable.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.