Archived Topic

Kickers

by sage · 8/14/2011

Advertisement
S
sage
Since I got to watch the scrimmage today, and went yesterday, and mentioned a few of the things I saw, a couple of readers mentioned how they liked the part of how they practiced the best of my observations, so I thot I would mention a few other things.



I got to get up on the deck of the student athletic building. They have a Provo Fire Dept imposed limit of 100 people, so I had to wait in line till someone came down. I took my teenage daughter with me. You can guess why she went. She particularly pointed out Cameron Comer as "hot", and then was adamant that I not get his attention. But I digress. ;) But she is a cute blond. :)



The main body of players went to the North field much farther away so we had only the kickers on our field, with Comer retrieving balls. He kicks pretty good too. I was impressed. He had 4.5 sec hang time. He is slated as a freshman D-Back. Interesting that he was shagging balls.



I timed a few of our punts. The ones I remember were, 4.56, 4.57, 4.65, 4.5. Travel was from 55 to 70 yards. A few were on the ten though not many. Not too bad of looking kicks for the beginning of fall camp.



Justin Sorenson then got to kick some field goal attempts. He made (these are approximate as I can't remember the intermediate ones exactly) 32, 25, 37, 42, 55, 60. He missed three 60s, a couple of 42s, 55. It was fun to watch. The kid has an incredible leg.



After that the whole team came down to the south field and ran scrimmage plays. The qbs took turns of about 5 snaps apiece starting from about 60 yds out and trying to score. The D held them most of the time out of the end zone. Don't remember how many TDs were scored, but not many.
G
Guest
Thanks Sage, you should have come to the CougarCorner scrimmage today, we missed you!
B
BroncoBot
sage, you da man.



Sorenson sounds like he's going to be awesome. Just wish he was a LITTLE more consistant up to 40 yards. Seems like he's missed a few from 30-40 range. BUT, there's still a lot of time to get the kinks worked out before Ole Miss.



Thanks for the reports. Good stuff.
S
sage
hawkwing wrote:
Thanks Sage, you should have come to the CougarCorner scrimmage today, we missed you!

Didn't notice the announcement till after I got home. Would have if I had known. Sat on the 42, 10 rows above the isle. Great spot. Hot!!! in that sun.



I thot the scrimmage was OK but not too impressive. Pritchard breaking his leg on the very first play was tragic.



Nelson has a great propensity to tuck and run. He did keep his eyes down field better than I remember, but the D never seemed to respect his running whenever he rolled out so he ran. Good runner. Decent tho not great throws. Too many were to the D that they dropped. Some right in their lap.



The D had a lot of whistle sacks. Heaps threw a td just after the whistle. Crowd loved it. 35 yds or so. Bronco called it back. Heaps in a real game would have made that throw as he did, but would have gotten plowed.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.