Archived Topic

Who replaces Pritchard? Any of the TEs?

by BroncoBot · 8/13/2011

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Iona looks to be out for the year unfortunately. I was wondering, does BYU have any Tight Ends that could end up being serviceable fullbacks? BYU seems like they are log-jammed at TE. If approached I would think that one of them would be happy to see the field more often, and they could still come out of the backfield to catch some passes (especially at BYU).



Seems like this happens in the NFL a bit. Why not at BYU?
S
SpiffCoug
Didn't Kanaekua Friel see time at FB and TE as a freshman?
B
Brayden Green
I have been saying for a year plus that Kariya makes perfect sense as a fullback. He blocks like a champ, and is quick enough as a fullback to get back there. There is a reason he was always the hback on our "obvious passing downs" last year. Dude can lay some major wood down. He has potential NFL talent as a fullback.
S
SpiffCoug
And by putting Kariya there, you can give more time to both JJ and Q as the feature back. You keep Kariya and what he brings on the field as well. It's a way to get more talent out there.
B
beauso79
Move Kariya to FB and give some more touches to Alisa as a RB/FB



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I have been saying for a year plus that Kariya makes perfect sense as a fullback.

Two or Three Possible Full Backs:



Zed Mendenhall 6-0/245

Michael Alisa 6-1/215

David Foote 5-11/212

Bryan Kariya 6-0/218

Manoa Pikula 6-1/230

Malosi Teo 5-10/212

Kaneakua Friel 6-5/235

Matthew Edwards 6-3/225

Chris Copier 6-6/245

Colby Jorgensen 6-7/230/4.68

Austin Holt 6-6/247

Devin Mahina 6-6/236/4.8

Richard Wilson 6-3/238/4.6

Mike Muehlmann 6-5/240

Masi Tuitama 6-2/215

Stehly Reden 6-6/235/4.8

Aveni Leung-Wai 6-1/238/4.6

Va'a Niumatalolo

Austin Nielsen 6-0/253

Jason Munns 6-5/254 :D
B
BYULV
Why not one of our quicker linemen, ala refrigerator perry. Of course we also have the Ansah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
So Teo's an option but Kariya isn't??



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Munns, that would be genius! never know if he's going to throw of just block someone into next week. He's a big kid.
T
trueblue72
I say try Wilson at fb. Pretty good size, good speed, you should be able to block as a fullback, I mean run a certain direction and hit the first guy that you see. It'd be nice to have his pass catching ability in the back field



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Id have to agree with trueblue. Wilson, if he can put his money where his mouth is, would fit well sizewise.

Not sure Bryan is is stout enough to be a punishing FB, ala Manase. Bryan is a great pass blocker, but I question whether he can blow holes open. Maybe he can. Very solid all-around player for sure. BUt there is a reason Iona emerged and Bryan wasnt utilized there.
D
Ddawg
BYULV wrote:
Why not one of our quicker linemen, ala refrigerator perry. Of course we also have the Ansah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Can you imagine Ansah blocking or JJ & Juice? Wow! Like a freight train hitting a deer in the headlights. 270 lbs. of controlled fury moving like greased lightning.



I don't think it will happen. Ansah is too valuable disrupting backfields & smashing QB's.
G
Guest
I like the idea of Wilson at FB from his physical abilities, but I don't think he has any where near the mental toughness to do that job.



Munns could be interesting, but he may just be too darned tall. Maybe we could get Lark on the field that way.
T
trueblue72
I don't know Wilson, but he spoke with his dad at length one day and everything he said pointed at anae as being the reason his son had a bad year. Which is what you'd expect a dad to say. However I don't see him as being mentally week, but rather as being immature. Maybe a year of trials last year and new start in the new offense will bring a more mature player who will be capable of switching positions and performing at that position



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
It would be sweet seeing true freshman Manoa Pikula playing both ways

FB/MLB though



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
It would be sweet seeing true freshman Manoa Pikula playing both ways

FB/MLB though

I haven't heard his name mentioned once this fall. Has anyone else?
B
beauso79
Mars wrote:
It would be sweet seeing true freshman Manoa Pikula playing both ways

FB/MLB though

I haven't heard his name mentioned once this fall. Has anyone else?


An update would be nice. It was probably assumed he was Red-Shirting and buried on the depth chart so no updates were necessary



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
crh55
Alisa will most likely take on some of the load that was going to be given to Prichard, but no doubt this hurts. Prichard was supposed to be the second coming of Manase Tonga.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
Losing iona today wad a big deal. Having him step up would have allowed us to red shirt alisa. I think he should be a running back not a fullback. He seems more like ungainly to me than any of the others



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Correct me if I'm wrong , but don't we still have Zed at FB?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.