Archived Topic

Questions

by OleMissInPeace · 8/13/2011

Advertisement
O
OleMissInPeace
Just looking at the predictions and I have a few ?'s for you guys. Last year we averaged 207 (#18 in NCAA) yards a game rushing against Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, Miss. State, etc. The reason I ask is we return everyone that attributed to that this year, with a few extras. Just wondering is your D-Line or LB corps suppose to be dominant? We are suppose to have one of the top O-Lines/Rushing games in the SEC. Also I think we will be running a lot of spread option this year, probably more, since Brunetti and Mackey are runners like Masoli.



You guys are prob. correct about the passing. We lost Masoli and we have not picked a starter yet. I think all 3 are capable starters, just have to wait till opening day to see how good they really are. Our WR's will be better this year (Three true freshmen seeing the field game 1) than last and the TE will actually be involved in the passing game (Thank you David Lee). I think we come out this game and try to run on you and wear you down it'll hopefully be 90+ and 70%+ humidity haha.



I have no questions about your O. Our D sucked last year. I''m expecting a lot more this year. Any ?'s for me ask.
S
Schmoe
Our front 7 on D is supposed to be downright nasty this year, we might be the deepest we've been in a long time. Coach Mendenhall does well preparing the D to play against the run, especially the option. But hey, you never really know until they start actually playing games.
B
beauso79
You'll get the "Ansah" on 9/3
B
BerliNY
beauso79 wrote:
You'll get the "Ansah" on 9/3


Post of the day.
B
Ball4
Honestly...I think it will be a great game. I haven't been this excited since Hall's O was preparing for Oklahoma. I love the fact that our O is scoring A LOT on our D during practices. I know our D will be stacked and it is a Bronco D...and that's the part that gets me just GITTY! A DEEP AND TALENTED BRONCO RUN DEFENSE! :crazy:



A few years ago during spring and fall practices we had a Jo. Beck run offense and the team didn't score much during those practices. The first game was against Arizona at UA. I went to the game and was very concerned that we wouldn't score. Well...we didn't much and lost the game. Our O couldn't move the ball. A concern that I DON'T have this year. This almost reminds me of the Doman/Staley 2001 years that couldn't be stopped.



I am looking forward to putting a pounding on an SEC team in SEC country. We tend to do very well on ESPN opening games...especially when we have returning starting QB's. Oh...our D will be up for the task as well. STACK THE BOX and force Ole Miss to throw. Should be interesting.



When will Ole Miss return the favor and come to Provo? 90 degrees with 30% humidity (doesn't sound bad...right?)...oh I forgot the altitude at 4400 feet above sea level. Not fun in the 4th quarter for visiting sea level teams.



Go COUGS!
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
My thought is that if a team is one dimensional any top 35 team should be able to shut them down. So if your QB struggles in the passing game expect it to be a long day. I would expect the same from our side. If we can't continue to run and they can just focus on the pass it will be a long day for us. Balance is what leads to success. I look at the service academies (AF and Navy) as well as GaTech have had some modest (very modest) success with mostly a running game but they also run a full house out of the backfield which is different from a team running a standard formation (only two backs). And history (see OK & Ore St,) tends to lean in the direction of our front seven being able to suficiently stop the Ole Miss running game. Anyways that my two cents :)
C
CougarClaw
Bronco's defenses are stereotypically strong against the run, weaker against the pass, porous against running qbs.



Ole Miss is 18th on Rushing Yards per game and 24th on total rushing yards for the season (2491). BYU was 37th on rushing yards (2185) per game on an offense that uses it to setup the pass. Last year's team was also the youngest bunch we've had in at least 5 years. Most of them are back this year and we're very excited about both the run and the pass this year, and in our spring game today, our D shut down the run game pretty well. And I think our run game which returns all the same folks as our #38 attack is probably at least comparable to Ole Miss' attack.



But talk is cheap, it'll all play out on the field, but we really like our chances against ole miss this year. Humidity might of hurt us last year at FSU so let's pray for a rain game and/or lots of pickle juice... Thanks for coming on the board, welcome back anytime.
B
BroncoBot
Welcome to the board. Gotta say that from what I've read on the rebels (or bears or whatever you guys are now) boards, fans from Ole Miss are some the most honest and down to earth fans around. Hopefully the confidence you read in the posts here are taken as simply a vote of confidence in our team and program, not an attack on you.



That said, I see a good game at "the grove" and I see BYU winning with solid run D and an offense that takes a while to get started but ultimately gets enough done to get the W.



Good to have some Ole Miss fans around here.
B
Brayden Green
You will not run us. Seriously. Any Bronco led defense has been top 15 in the nation against the run in a complete season, and we will be as good (or likely, much much better) against the run this year as we have ever been.



You need to find a quarterback, and find one soon.
S
scott715
One thought. TCU played Texas a few years ago and shut down their run but McCoy threw liek 4 bombs for touchdowns and won. I hope that does not happen.
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
Latest news on Ole Miss QB battle. They are still trying to get one of the QB's to step up but none of them will.
None of the three quarterbacks looked sharp during the scrimmage. Barry Brunetti was 2-of-6 passing for 23 yards and an interception; Randall Mackey was 3-of-9 for 82 yards; and Zack Stoudt was 2-of-9 for 41 yards and a TD pass. David Lee said afterwards that he was frustrated only because he was hoping someone would announce themselves as the guy. Obviously, that didn’t happen. There’s another scrimmage scheduled for Wednesday, and another chance for the three to impress the offensive coordinator.

The top three QB candidates combined to go 7-for-24 passing on the day :bug:

Stack the box and let them make the throws. Force them to try and beat us in the air. :evil:
S
SpiffCoug
7-24, that's some serious "sharp" play by the QBs!
O
OleMissInPeace
SpiffCoug wrote:
7-24, that's some serious "sharp" play by the QBs!


Can't tell much off of 6-9 attempts per QB. No time to get in a rhythm and our D is vastly improved since last year.



I just think it's interesting how most of you think you will destroy us and shut down our run. No offense but OK passes more than runs and ORegon States rushing attack is in no way comparable to ours. We have a RB who has potential to be a top 15 draft pick. This o-line will probably be the biggest you will see this year. Also if you're not good against running QB's that's bad for u cause Brunetti and Mackey are both dual-threats.



I understand being confident but if you guys lose the backlash will hurt lol. All ole miss fans are doing is posting links to messages about how you guys will destroy us lol. Good luck guys hope many of u make the trip.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
BYU's track record east of the Mississippi speaks for itself. And loudly.



That said, I expect this defense to be stingy. I also expect Ole Miss to come ready to throw the ball. We'll know early on if our secondary is up to the task.



The passing offense is on the upswing at BYU, but it's not really been tested against quality defenses yet (unless you count Utah last season).



BYU has more tools this year than most, but the missing link is the TE. Lots of unproven talent there.



Expect BYU to come out hyped and ready to hit and spit. I think the nastiness can take some teams (and fans) by surprise sometimes. These are, after all, "mature" Mormon kids...
S
SpiffCoug
You are correct in that a few passes doesn't show much. But I can tell that each QB going 2-6 is a sign of an inaccurate QB. And if they weren't using the "close-but-incomplete" completion method of Ole Miss, then it's even worse.



As was stated earlier, if you play a top 30-35 team (which most people think BYU will be) if you are a one dimensional offense you will lose. If Ole Miss can't throw the ball, it's going to be real tough to run on 8-man fronts.



We had a big OL too last year. We've big OLs in the past too. Big doesn't always mean good.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Sounds like OleMIss fans are posting/quoting Cougar hype to try and get their own team (themselves) to rally. Theyre worried underneath all that SEC arrogance.

Could BYU fans be a bit overestimating? Maybe. If OleMIss is putting their stock in their one running back and Oline, it sounds like a distraction to me. They better take a hard look at their defense. NOt hearing alot of positivity about their D.

But hey, dem BYU fellers is jist a bunch of dem slow, old white mormon boys.
K
kiwibacon
Question for you OleMissInPeace,

Is your team going towards an option look this year? I thought I read somewhere that the option offense was being implemented.
O
OleMissInPeace
dmcougar wrote:
Sounds like OleMIss fans are posting/quoting Cougar hype to try and get their own team (themselves) to rally. Theyre worried underneath all that SEC arrogance.

Could BYU fans be a bit overestimating? Maybe. If OleMIss is putting their stock in their one running back and Oline, it sounds like a distraction to me. They better take a hard look at their defense. NOt hearing alot of positivity about their D.

But hey, dem BYU fellers is jist a bunch of dem slow, old white mormon boys.

You guys need to research a little before downing us. We don't just have "one running back" we have a stable, if Houston Nutt knows anything it's how to run and develop RB's (Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Darren McFadden, and Dexter McCluster to name a few). Brandon Bolden averaged 6 yards a carry for 976 yards and 14 td's, Jeff Scott 6.5 a carry 429 yards 3 tds, Enrique Davis avg 4.2 337 yards and 3 td's. Also we don't just have an o-line or just a big one. Our two tackles are NFL draft picks after this year and ones a junior (hope he stays.). We don't just run over small teams we do it against Auburn, Alabama, LSU, And Arkansas. Teams constantly competing for National Championships.


kiwibacon wrote:
Question for you OleMissInPeace,

Is your team going towards an option look this year? I thought I read somewhere that the option offense was being implemented.


The spread option was introduced last year, Masoli ran for over 500 and 6 td's. We look to add even more this year as Mackey and Brunetti are good at it.



And for what it's worth Mackey is accurate. In JC all he do was throw 40+ passes a game and was first team all-American ahead of a guy named Cam Newton. Brunetti was a 4* and played as a fresh. At WVU and Stoudt would of been starting at Kansas so we have talent back there. It's just who is gonna separate themselves. I trust David Lee(Miami Dolphins former OC/QB coach) when he says all three are good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dwight
Was it Forrest Gump that said "college football is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get"?



Having said that, you can't hold it against a Cougar fan for being excited. There is a lot of evidence that we are going to have a good team. And if it all falls apart, it won't be the worst dissapointment any of us have experienced.



I for one will spend my idol thoughts with visions of our linebacking corps sacking nameless QBs and Jordan Wynn.



I love college football. Best of luck and I hope Ole Miss beats the SEC expectations. ;)
D
Ddawg
BerliNY wrote:
You'll get the "Ansah" on 9/3


Post of the day.


Bingo! Very quick. Mongo like. :lol:
Page 1 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.