Archived Topic

Race for the the Number 2 QB Spot

by jonnylingo · 8/9/2011

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Lark's series was in progress and the offense was driving when Mendenhall called for a field goal. Justin Sorensen hit from 47 yards, and was then backed up and made a 52- yarder. Two attempts from 67 yards were wide right and wide left, and if they were also short, they weren't short by much.




http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=16735815



So Day one and two go to Lark hands down. Today goes to Lark as well. Would be interesting to know what Lark could have done with his series had Bronco not called for a field goal.



Can we read anything into Bronco doing that or did he just want a good opportunity to give sorenson some action?
F
fifthqb
I'm not sure we can read anything into it. You would think it would be frustrating for Lark though. He had to wait for Jake to have 3 series(which is fine), also Nelson to have one, and even Munns to have one before him. Then his series gets cut short when he is playing well. I'm Lark biased but he has outworked Nelson in the off season and his been outplaying him this fall. I would imagine it would be difficult to stay patient with having the last series and having it cut short.



I think its clear so far this fall that Lark is outplaying Nelson. I know that some Quarterback have slumps but 3 days in a row is a trend. If Lark continues to outplay Nelson (and it hasn't even been close) I expect him to begin to get the back-up reps by the end of next week.
S
snoscythe
While I agree that Lark has outplayed Nelson for 3 days, I'm interested as to how you could possibly know that Lark has outworked Nelson over the summer....I assume you kept daily tabs on the both of them?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
fifthqb
Where are the tweets about Riley coming back in "Excellent, Excellent Shape" Sno?



Where is Riley's good form? He came in last in the conditioning drill?



You're right though, I can't provide empirical evidence for you.



I assume that for the sake of your argument you could provide some evidence that Nelson has worked as hard as Lark? Or even harder?
S
SpiffCoug
He didn't come in last. He came in third.
Advertisement
F
fifthqb
Granted. I'm not a Nelson hater. I'm not here to Bash. But judging by the tweets and reports, and the fact that Nelson was clearly better in spring. I see a greater amount of improvement from James. Maybe James just woke up in Excellent shape and vastly improved. But the point is really moot. The point of the post is that Lark has worked extremely hard and if I were in his position, I would likely have a difficult time being patient.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah. Given where the two were in the spring and where they are through three days, it seems that Lark worked his butt off and may be finally living up to his hype coming out of HS.
G
Guest
Better late than never. If Lark can beat out Nelson, that bodes very well for us, because Nelson is a quality QB who would start for many IA schools.
C
CannonCougar85
If I remember correctly Nelson played against Lark in the state championship some years back and Nelson tore it up. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish that they would use Nelson in a wildcat formation 5-10 times a game. Nelson is just too athletic to have sitting on the sidelines.
M
Metallicat
hawkwing wrote:
Better late than never. If Lark can beat out Nelson, that bodes very well for us, because Nelson is a quality QB who would start for many IA schools.


Like Utah St.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Metallicat wrote:
Better late than never. If Lark can beat out Nelson, that bodes very well for us, because Nelson is a quality QB who would start for many IA schools.


Like Utah St.


Don't kid yourself. I know at least one PAC-12 school he'd start for, and there's probably plenty of Big East teams, as well.
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Better late than never. If Lark can beat out Nelson, that bodes very well for us, because Nelson is a quality QB who would start for many IA schools.


Like Utah St.


Don't kid yourself. I know at least one PAC-12 school he'd start for, and there's probably plenty of Big East teams, as well.


Washington State? UCONN? No, wait, Georgetown! ;-)
C
Cougarbib
I like Riley. He does not seem to be a future NFL QB or even CFL so far. But he is just a Junior. But I don't see the next Steve Young - yet. I don't expect to. But I do see a decent D1 QB.



Broke all the records in High School

Started for USU as a freshman

Started for BYU last year until injured - although he did not distinguish himself enough to totally beat out Heaps - thus 2QB.



There are not a lot of BYU QBs that exceeded that success before their Junior season. McMahon, Detmer, Beck, Hall - did I leave anyone out?



If we did not have a five star recruit with future Heisman type potential, Riley would be starting at BYU this season unless another highly touted recruit, James Lark beats him out.



Give him some respect. If Lark beats him out for number 2 - that will mean BYU is in very good shape at QB with three guys that could play if needed. When was the last time we had that depth at QB?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CannonCougar85
Schmoe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Better late than never. If Lark can beat out Nelson, that bodes very well for us, because Nelson is a quality QB who would start for many IA schools.


Like Utah St.


Don't kid yourself. I know at least one PAC-12 school he'd start for, and there's probably plenty of Big East teams, as well.


You couldn't possibly be talking about Nelson being better than this...uh...guy...

http://static.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/555665/555665.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
You are right Cannon. And I will not give the ultimate dishonor by saying that The Girl UTe is better than Nelson.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Riley Nelson is head and shoulders a better quarterback than Jake Locker. Washington would have destroyed us last year if our QBs had been switched so that they had Nelson and we had Locker. No doubt about it.
T
trueblue72
Hawk I really, really, really, really, really hope that was a TIC, comment about Nelson being head and shoulders better than Jake Locker. The only reason that we won that game is because Washington's defense was horrible and they were a bad team at that point and they got slightly better as the season wore on. Riley Nelson is dropping to third on the depth chart, but he is head and shoulders better than a first round draft pick.......... hummmmmmmm that's a mystery!
C
Cougs_Rule
Hawk, with all due respect to you, that could not be farther from the truth. Riley is a far better person, but at best, equal and more like not close to locker as a qb--and I, along with many thought Jake as a possible first qb pick was totally laughable. But jake at least had size. Riley, "hims just a widdle guy."

Not even close. Riley won't get a whiff of the nfl. And maybe he has other (medical) professional goals.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
hawkwing wrote:
Riley Nelson is head and shoulders a better quarterback than Jake Locker. Washington would have destroyed us last year if our QBs had been switched so that they had Nelson and we had Locker. No doubt about it.


As his bio says, Hwak is a blue-goggled homer. I respect that. But having said that, Locker is bigger, faster, stronger arm and was a 1st round NFL pick. Riley will not even get drafted. No slight to Riley because his career path will probably follow his dad--orthopedic surgeon. Nothing wrong with that at all.
G
Guest
I never said that Riley would get drafted before Locker. Yes, some NFL team will take a chance on Locker's tremendous athletic ability and potential, and get burned for it, because Locker is not, never has been, and never will be a decent QB.



Riley could at least hit the guy he was aiming at. And as far as college QBs go, I know who I'd rather have starting for me.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.