Archived Topic

Future Impact of Offseason Workouts

by byucougar1 · 8/7/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.deseretnews.com/mobile/article/700169042/BYU-football-Best-offseason-ever-Cougars-insist-its-so.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



It appears that our OL lost some of that table muscle - toned down - and feelsore explosive coming off of the line. Ditto for receivers, backers, etc. The position oriented consitioning program appears to have improved team speed and conditioning coming into Fall practice. They are going to get a lot more done and start prepping for Ole Miss earlier as there will be less teaching and more game day preparation and tweaking of our O/D schemes. This definitely sounds like a much different scenario than previous seasons.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Good catch on both accounts. Sounds more... TCU-like.
B
byucougar1
More on this from Bronco as quoted by Gurney:



"We didn't need to do nearly as much teaching on Day One as we have in the past," he said. "That should speed up the chance to get our game plans in and possibly accelerate our work on Ole Miss a little bit earlier … Most positions are four-deep and a couple are five-deep. It's reflective of the program's maturity."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
Table muscle meaning fat? Don't o-line guys kind of need that so they don't get pushed around?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
That's what I keep trying to tell my wife :-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
CougarClaw wrote:
Table muscle meaning fat? Don't o-line guys kind of need that so they don't get pushed around?

Weight is good for an O-lineman, but muscle is better than fat. And being in great shape helps for bursts of energy while run-blocking FORWARD, OFF of the line, UP-field.
T
tmoney35
CougarClaw wrote:
Table muscle meaning fat? Don't o-line guys kind of need that so they don't get pushed around?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I don't think dropping from 320 to 300 means you'll become pushover
V
vancouvercougar
tmoney35 wrote:
Table muscle meaning fat? Don't o-line guys kind of need that so they don't get pushed around?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I don't think dropping from 320 to 300 means you'll become pushover


If you are 300 pounds with the same muscle mass as when you were 320-- that's 20 pounds less fat you have to push around.
C
CougarClaw
except muscle mass is heavier than fat so......
L
Lawboy
Reynolds dropped 20, so he is lighter. But I bet he is also quicker and more powerful as well, so the trade off is probably worth it. I think we will see the benefits of it this Fall with the whole team.
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Take into consideration that it says these guys are dropping from 320 to 300, it is more like 360- 340. You and I both know that the listed weight on these guys isn't accurate. I am a big guy myself (285) and I stood next to some of these guys that are 3 inches taller and much bigger and I can promised guys like these are actually more in the 350 range rather than 315. I spoke with a former O-lineman once and he was listed at 315 and he said he was more like 370. Either way, losing weight for these o-lineman is good because they are going to be more explosive. I have an idea, lets put all the o-line on Insanity before next season and see if they can really get down to 310, I bet they could do it. That work out is ridiculous!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.