Archived Topic

McKay Jacobson

by jonnylingo · 8/1/2011

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
So what is your opinion on how he will do this year. I have been watching old games here and there on byutv and they reminded me how good he was his freshman year and how crummy he was last year. When he did catch the ball he almost never got any yards after the catch. He really struggled last year.



Is that just the new McKay or were injuries, coaches, and the qb controversy to blame?



I am not expecting much from him this year but I hope I am wrong and he leaves byu with his best year.
R
redneckjedi
I'm not sure what the deal is with McKay. He may have been Omer'ed and lost a step. It seems like his production in '06 was on vertical routes, which we moved away from for whatever reason after Beck graduated. He probably also benefited from flying under the defense's radar. In 2006, he was a freshman, and not a primary concern like Harline, Reed, Brown, and Allen would have been. In 2009, the same probably applied - after all, we banked on that for game winning TD against Oklahoma. They triple teamed Pitta and left McKay all alone. Last year, our receivers collectively sucked - they couldn't catch the ball or get open, and the QBs had trouble getting it to them. Maybe defenses keyed on McKay, since he actually had some experience? I'd have to watch more games to know. As I recall, he had a few drops himself, so that contributes, too.



It seems like the training staff made some changes to de-Omer people and focus more on speed. Doman is going to stretch the field more vertically, which will provide more space for everyone, especially McKay. If teams focus on stopping the home run ball to Apo and Hoffman, then the McKay can go nuts along the seams against a zone defense, or by exploiting single coverage with a safety or linebacker. That's contingent on actually being able to hit the home run at least once a game or so, but once you establish that threat, you can get some serious YAC with those intermediate routes.



I'm confident he'll have a good year. He's got two games in Texas he'll want to show especially well for, so there's no shortage of motivation. :)
M
Mingjai
redneckjedi wrote:
I'm not sure what the deal is with McKay. He may have been Omer'ed and lost a step. It seems like his production in '06 was on vertical routes, which we moved away from for whatever reason after Beck Collie graduated.


Fixed.



Jacobson has been one of the bigger post-mission disappointments that I can remember, which is not to say that he's been terrible, but he hasn't been able to live up to his good freshman year. He's like the anti-Collie...
M
mizzoucoug
He definitely lost a step either because of Omer and/or the mission, but he is no longer considered a real threat out there.
G
Gunk
Takes him 5 steps to get going. I didn't like him in the slot and he never really seemed to be able to shake his man down field.



So, unless he spent the last year really devoting himself to increasing his speed, I doubt he'll be much of a factor this season.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
let's see what Cahoon can do with the man. That should tell us quite a bit about the last 2 years.
S
Schmoe
As long as the team wins, I'm not too concerned with who's making the catches.
C
Cougs_Rule
Iirc, he really didn't want to expose himself catching passes in the middle the last few years. I get that bc Anae's offense was all about dink and dunk which packed in the middle. AND like may receivers who had attitudes and the dropsies last year, for whatever reasons, plus injury; plus if I were to guess, he didn't support the "new regime" and as such, once Heaps was given the reins, had little to no chemistry with Heaps and thus spelled a total recipe for mediocrity..

My prediction. If he doesn't see some action early in the season, look for him to "get injured" again and lose ground bc the younger, hungrier, faster, players will have passed him up. At least he got a college education.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
dmcougar wrote:
Iirc, he really didn't want to expose himself catching passes in the middle the last few years. I get that bc Anae's offense was all about dink and dunk which packed in the middle. AND like may receivers who had attitudes and the dropsies last year, for whatever reasons, plus injury; plus if I were to guess, he didn't support the "new regime" and as such, once Heaps was given the reins, had little to no chemistry with Heaps and thus spelled a total recipe for mediocrity..

My prediction. If he doesn't see some action early in the season, look for him to "get injured" again and lose ground bc the younger, hungrier, faster, players will have passed him up. At least he got a college education.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Spot on IMO
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
Iirc, he really didn't want to expose himself catching passes in the middle the last few years. I get that bc Anae's offense was all about dink and dunk which packed in the middle. AND like may receivers who had attitudes and the dropsies last year, for whatever reasons, plus injury; plus if I were to guess, he didn't support the "new regime" and as such, once Heaps was given the reins, had little to no chemistry with Heaps and thus spelled a total recipe for mediocrity..

My prediction. If he doesn't see some action early in the season, look for him to "get injured" again and lose ground bc the younger, hungrier, faster, players will have passed him up. At least he got a college education.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Spot on IMO

If the passes are consistently on target look for McKay to have a big year along with a couple of others - unless tight ends prove capable of being ignored again. There should be backs and wes a plenty for Heaps to throw to. I hope a tight end steps up too and then it will all really click because defenses won't be able to ignore anyone. It would be nice if the JJ and MJ bashers could hold off until they earn such bashing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.