Archived Topic

Mountain West is going broke

by tmoney35 · 7/29/2011

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/27/mountain-west-facing-financial-struggles/



sweet music to my ears. Cracks me up how Craig Thomson focuses so much on BCS disparity and never once hints that maybe losing the only schools that actually bring in money as a possible reason for being in financial ruin.



Some of the comments are even better. This one is pretty good.


The thing about the Utah market, it took both schools leaving to have any impact on the MWC. And with BSU's entry, the impact was quickly eliminated. TCU's exit will probably be the one to have the biggest impact on MWC.


The guy who wrote that continually tries to minimize the financial impact of BYU leaving the MWC. Poor MWC fans...still can't admit BYU brought home the bacon
S
SpiffCoug
TCU brings nothing to any conference when it comes to tv households & markets. Their only contribution is athletically & competitively.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
StatsCougar
The two reasons the MWC will miss TCU is the BCS money it brought in, and Texas recruiting.
E
EM_Puma
Wow, like why would an athlete with an offer at SDSU want to go there?



"State cuts also have led athletic departments to cut more resources, including San Diego State, which had to furlough coaches and cut 25 full-time jobs in the past three years. The football office at SDSU is down to one secretary and one athletic trainer."



The only way I could see to answer that would be because their only other offer was from Wyoming.
I
imuakahuku
He is either just plain clueless or dishonest. He is complaining about the TV contracts but that is open market and they (MWC) could have negotiated a 10 billion dollar contract if they could have somebody willing to pay it. Whining about it makes him look like a brat saying "everybody owes us because we are". He can complain about the disparity in BCS access but TV contracts are up to the individual conferences and the MWC signed a pretty horrid one. waa waa :roll:
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
They still don't understand that they don't understand...



"Such a disparity [in TV money] is why Utah and Texas Christian decided to leave the conference for the Pac-12 and Big East, respectively. Brigham Young left for similar reasons and will be unaffiliated with a conference in football."



I don't know how many times you have to say it for them to believe that it wasn't the money. BYU was in the black even with the poor TV contract and would continue to be. Can you blame us if it just happened that we got the cake and to eat it too (money and the exposure we wanted) by going independent?



I really hope that it is some time before we ever schedule a MWC team in football.
S
StatsCougar
[quote="EM_Puma"I really hope that it is some time before we ever schedule a MWC team in football.[/quote]





Agreed. The only team I'll miss playing is Air Force. The rest of the haughty conference can give up their football teams for all I care.
B
BYULV
StatsCougar wrote:
[quote="EM_Puma"I really hope that it is some time before we ever schedule a MWC team in football.




Agreed. The only team I'll miss playing is Air Force. The rest of the haughty conference can give up their football teams for all I care.[/quote]



I wouldn't mind playing at sdsu, mainly because I can get great seats cheap and get to go to California.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dwight
There is a very good business lesson for those of us who watched this unfold last year. For some reason I don't think any of those who are critical of BYU will ever learn the lesson. Learn what side your bread is buttered on and don't take it for granted.



I tuned in the MTN last week just to see who was advertising. I watched a replay of Wyoming and NM through two quarters, one half-time, and multiple time-outs. They only ran three commercials that whole time(Wyoming DOT, Cancer Society, and Jeep).
R
redneckjedi
I would say that what the MWC did was like cutting off their nose to spite their face. But it was more like cutting off their head to spite their body. You can live without an arm or a leg. You can live without a gall bladder, without a spleen, and without a stomach. You can get by on a single healthy kidney or lung. You can even live without a :utard:. But that's all just machinery whose sole purpose is to keep the head alive and get it where it needs to go, and when the head is gone, the body dies.



And in this case, the head figured out a Futurama-esque way of living without the body. RIP MWC. And good riddance.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Perhaps this was an attempt by Comcast to get out of a deal they are no longer committed to in a few years. They own the MTN, they control the purse strings, they let BYU walk because they would not make concessions. We can all hate on the MWC as much as we want, but Comcast is the one who blew it up. I assume it was a calculated reason for them financially.



As they say--follow the money.
Y
Y4LYFE
MWC broke when their BYU fell off.
C
Cougs_Rule
The Brokeback Mountain West can eat our dust.
P
ProV1
Dwight wrote:
I tuned in the MTN last week just to see who was advertising. I watched a replay of Wyoming and NM through two quarters, one half-time, and multiple time-outs. They only ran three commercials that whole time(Wyoming DOT, Cancer Society, and Jeep).

We need to get you out of the house.
Advertisement
R
runbyu1
ProV1 wrote:
I tuned in the MTN last week just to see who was advertising. I watched a replay of Wyoming and NM through two quarters, one half-time, and multiple time-outs. They only ran three commercials that whole time(Wyoming DOT, Cancer Society, and Jeep).

We need to get you out of the house.


SERIOUS! Wyo-NM? Really?
D
Dwight
runbyu1 wrote:
Dwight wrote:
I tuned in the MTN last week just to see who was advertising. I watched a replay of Wyoming and NM through two quarters, one half-time, and multiple time-outs. They only ran three commercials that whole time(Wyoming DOT, Cancer Society, and Jeep).

We need to get you out of the house.


SERIOUS! Wyo-NM? Really?


Ya, that is what my phsycotherapist said too. Oh well, it's like 100 degrees outside. :~(
B
BYULV
Dwight wrote:
ProV1 wrote:
I tuned in the MTN last week just to see who was advertising. I watched a replay of Wyoming and NM through two quarters, one half-time, and multiple time-outs. They only ran three commercials that whole time(Wyoming DOT, Cancer Society, and Jeep).

We need to get you out of the house.


SERIOUS! Wyo-NM? Really?


Ya, that is what my phsycotherapist said too. Oh well, it's like 100 degrees outside. :~(


If everyone here in Vegas went psycho when the temp was above 100 degrees, the mtn's troubles would be over . . . we'd all be watching their drivel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
Y4LYFE wrote:
MWC broke when their BYU fell off.


:lol: :lol:



We all expected this. Now the house is burning. and we're all glad.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.