Archived Topic

Flash Lightning Drew Phillips

by byucougar1 · 7/29/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Just read article in Deep Shades of Blue about Drew. Appears that he will join the team at the end of August - about one week before the Ole Miss game. Appears unlikely that he will get much field time due to lack of reps/practice time on field. Here's hoping that he manages to at least get on the KO return team and provide the threat to take it to the house. I know that his folks would be anxious to see him play as they are only a couple of hours away.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
He's Flash Nothing right now as he's yet to do anything on the field. I'll even be surprised if he's good to go on day of fall camp.
G
Guest
I really hope the kid makes it, but my confidence in him is slipping.
U
Ungoy
I want to see Drew do well, but I was not impressed with what I saw with him in spring. He did next to nothing during the spring game, and the next to part was when he knocked over his own blocker.



I hope I'm wrong, but I am losing confidence in Drew.
R
radius19
Ungoy wrote:
I want to see Drew do well, but I was not impressed with what I saw with him in spring. He did next to nothing during the spring game, and the next to part was when he knocked over his own blocker.



I hope I'm wrong, but I am losing confidence in Drew.


From where I was sitting at the spring game the blocker had no business being where he was. He cut back across drew's lane for some reason when he was about to hit the hole and blow up a big gainer. But yes, other than that there wasn't much he did at the spring game.



I've been excited about this kid ever since he signed and am really hoping that he can be a large part of the team, hopefully sooner rather than later but realistically it won't be until next year. Him and Cody running back kicks would be a pretty sweet team and then by his junior/senior year being more involved in the offense. He has the potential, just needs more focus in the classroom so stuff like this spring/summer doesn't happen again and slow/stall his progression.
Advertisement
S
scott715
He has already redshirted so I expect to see him later in the season. Hope he has it! We will see.
S
Schmoe
There are a lot of players who don't blossom until they're upperclassmen, let's not let negativity creep in. The kid has a lot of upside if he can get it together.
K
KYCoug
He's just a red shirt freshman, I think we need to start realizing when you've got a "Program" it's a rare thing to have a freshman come in and do anything but develop their skills on the sideline for a couple of years. It's been great to see the freshman like Q and others come in and make a splash but the reality is that's what happens when we started bringing in better talent. Once we are stocked it will be nice to let them develop and grow and then when they are juniors or seniors be the big impact players. I'm hoping he does well but willing to give him the time he needs.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
S
snoscythe
Schmoe wrote:
There are a lot of players who don't blossom until they're upperclassmen, let's not let negativity creep in. The kid has a lot of upside if he can get it together.


Whatever. If they have cool Youtube videos we here at BYU fully expect them to come in and take the starting spot away from yesteryear's Youtube heroes in Spring Camp and go pro after two All-American years as an underclassmen. I'm just surprised we haven't heard any rumblings that Matt Reynolds should be moved to RT to make room for Ryker Mathews.
J
jonnylingo
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
jonnylingo wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.


Yup. You can't teach quick (especially at BYU), and you also can't teach stud.



He is legit. He just needs to get it done off the field. I mean, the guy had how many TD's against the practice squad last year? 16?
B
BYULV
BlueIsBetter wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.


Yup. You can't teach quick (especially at BYU), and you also can't teach stud.



He is legit. He just needs to get it done off the field. I mean, the guy had how many TD's against the practice squad last year? 16?


Were the TDs against the practice squad or the First team, because if he was on the practice squad then they would have been against the starters and second team?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JamieVallen
Brian Logan was really high on drew an I believe at one point Andrew rich had said that he believed that one day Drew would be an all American. I don't have the direct links but apparently those touchdowns he scored were for the most part on the starters because he was on the scout team. I know at one point in the season when somebody did an article on him he had already scored 22 touchdowns on the starting defense and for every touchdown he scored he had drawn a star on his cleats. There's just so many people so high on this kid. I can't help but think if he matures a bit an gets it done in the classroom that he's gonna be something special on the field. We most likely get this kid for 4 more years and a lot can happen in that time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Per Drew's brother, Drew should be good to go for all of Fall camp, not just starting a week before the Ole Miss game. Bronco put some requirements on him to raise his schoolwork--he is not ineligible, just not at the 3.0 level Bronco wants to see. Hence, summer classes.



I suspect Drew will be a kick returner and maybe punt returner and see limited action on offense, especially early. If he performs with his chances, he gets more. But I do not expect to see him get many reps until next season.
B
Brayden Green
BYULV wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.


Yup. You can't teach quick (especially at BYU), and you also can't teach stud.



He is legit. He just needs to get it done off the field. I mean, the guy had how many TD's against the practice squad last year? 16?


Were the TDs against the practice squad or the First team, because if he was on the practice squad then they would have been against the starters and second team?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Good call, I meant to say ON the practice team. Which would be against the first squad.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
jonnylingo wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.




Yep. Drew will be ok. You can't teach speed. Everything else will fall into place.
G
Guest
Ddawg wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.




Yep. Drew will be ok. You can't teach speed. Everything else will fall into place.


-Signed Nate Soleberg.
N
nogbody
hawkwing wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.




Yep. Drew will be ok. You can't teach speed. Everything else will fall into place.


-Signed Nate Soleberg.




Burn!!!! :)
R
redneckjedi
hawkwing wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.




Yep. Drew will be ok. You can't teach speed. Everything else will fall into place.


-Signed Nate Soleberg.


Oh no you DIDN'T! I had suppressed those memories, and dredged them back up! Thankfully, though, running a good route and catching the ball at the end is less complicated than playing corner well. And it sounds like Drew has been figuring that out fairly well on the scout team. Here's hoping it translates to the field, and soon! I want some fireworks!
R
runbyu1
Ddawg wrote:
i have little doubt that Phillips will be a significant contributor.



Also according to his brother things are set for him to be there for fall camp. If he is indeed at fall camp hopefully we will see him returning kicks at the very least to start out.



dont judge the kid by what he did behind our third string offensive lineman in one spring game.




Yep. Drew will be ok. You can't teach speed. Everything else will fall into place.


-Signed Chris Hale & Rod Wilkerson
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.