Archived Topic

Juice vs JJ

by mizzoucoug · 7/27/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Okay, I'm officially back into football mode...my first gridiron mental puzzle that I need help working out.



Here's the conundrum (thanks TC!): I almost laughed out loud when I heard about JJ being named a preseason Doak Walker Award finalist. I mean, the kid stood out on our team last year, but that team really sucked. He is certainly shifty but has pretty much no wheels to speak of. He's slower than Curtis Brown and has worse vision than Harvey, and those guys were never considered for major awards. What am I missing with DiLuigi?



Furthermore, my expectation all along has been that Juice would quickly replace JJ because of his athletic superiority. However, it seems that JJ is still the #1 on the RB depth chart so this leaves me thinking...am I just plain wrong about JJ or is Juice not as good as everyone (including me) thinks he is? Or perhaps a 3rd disturbing option, Di gets the reps because he's a senior?



I can't help but conclude that if JJ is our guy then we'll have a tough time running against the legit defenses this season. What say ye?
D
Ddawg
I'm a JJ fan. He jukes & squirts very well, he makes people miss. I saw JJ play in High School & I have been a fan of his ever since.



You are entitled to your opinion - but - I think you are too tough on JJ. He will do fine this year. JJ is a talented runner.
D
Dwight
It sounded to me like Dupaix alluded that the three backs were probably not going to be getting equal action. I expect Juice to become the dominant back. Having said that, it seems like leadership, and paying dues is valued on this team as part of the culture. Where would the team have been without JJ last year. Question. Why did they always run JJ to the outside? Is it because he can pivot and turn up field so well? Just wondering. My favorite touchdown last year was JJ's against UW. I think it is funny that Juices TD during that game came after he lined up in the wrong position. I look forward to hearing Wrubell say "The juice is loose in the end zone" again and again.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU won five of its last six games. In those six games here's what each did:

DiLuigi: 82 carries, 398 yards, 4 TDs, 4.9 ypc, 13 catches, 121 yards, 0 TDs, 9.7 ypr

Quezada: 76 carries, 405 yards, 5 TDs, 5.3 ypc, 3 catches, 17 yards, 0 TDs, 5.7 ypr



I don't know how you separate those numbers as they're practically identical.
N
nuk13
I agree with you Spiff. It should be Juice + JJ. Don't count Kariya out either. He always seems to make a good play when it's needed.
Advertisement
G
Guest
JJ gets a far worse rap among Cougar fans than he deserves. He was BYU's offensive player of the year last year, not a single back has yet shown they are better than he is, despite countless armchair coaches touting their favorites superiority. Hype is a powerful tool.
S
Schmoe
Why choose just one? I love our three-headed monster.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
BYU won five of its last six games. In those six games here's what each did:

DiLuigi: 82 carries, 398 yards, 4 TDs, 4.9 ypc, 13 catches, 121 yards, 0 TDs, 9.7 ypr

Quezada: 76 carries, 405 yards, 5 TDs, 5.3 ypc, 3 catches, 17 yards, 0 TDs, 5.7 ypr



I don't know how you separate those numbers as they're practically identical.


I like them both. It seems that one is a slightly better runner - up the gut especially. The other is a much better pass catcher. One has much more experience and should be less error prone in critical situations. Time will tell. They are both big assets. And if one of them goes down - well - we will be glad we have both of them. Recall Harvey went down a time or two and then was off the team suddenly. Suddenly the depth wasn't nice - it was indispensible. Can you spell Oklahoma for instance. Even Kariya is underappreciated by many BYU fans. Yes - Kariya and JJ are not likely to get drafted into the NFL. For Juice - it is too early to tell whether he has that potential. But they are all three very good and all three will contribute this year.
C
CougarClaw
NY Giants won the Superbowl by running 2 backs through 3 quarters, and then brought out their 3rd back with his fresh legs for the fourth quarter. Later that 3rd back became their #1 option when they couldn't keep all 3.



And Bronco has said something to the effect that Kariya is the epitome of BYU and this program. Kariya will be on the field next year.
S
SpiffCoug
No, the Giants won the Super Bowl because they had a DL that could pressure Brady with their front 4 and still stop the run. They had also just played the Patriots and so were able to rework their gameplan. Then they got an extremely lucky catch and the rest is history.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Luck favors the prepared, the Pats were running on fumes from pushing so hard for a perfect season (thank Bellicheat's ego for that one).
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
BYU won five of its last six games. In those six games here's what each did:

DiLuigi: 82 carries, 398 yards, 4 TDs, 4.9 ypc, 13 catches, 121 yards, 0 TDs, 9.7 ypr

Quezada: 76 carries, 405 yards, 5 TDs, 5.3 ypc, 3 catches, 17 yards, 0 TDs, 5.7 ypr

I don't know how you separate those numbers as they're practically identical.

I like 'em both. Unlike, you know, what's-his-slow. :whistle: :P
B
Brayden Green
Grape is a little more favorite, but cherry is also favorite!



If they don't have grape, then it's like 'That's fine I'll just get cherry anyway, cause it's a favorite too.



(quoted text starts @ 35 seconds)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOzk7d2oUM



They're both good!
I
Isola
JJ is a stand up guy and has been a solid back, but I am surprised to see him on the Doak Walker watch list or whatever.



I don't see JJ getting enough carries to win any awards. He is a serious receiving threat, and a good runner, but with Kariya getting the short yardage carries, including TDs, and Juice dealing the body blows, I don't see JJ getting enough touches for awards.



JJ and Juice are really apples and oranges though. Plus, if I had to pick between the two as freshman, I would take Juice, because JJ didn't shine his first year, but maybe he would have if he wasn't behind Harvey. I am guessing Juice ends up being more productive as a senior too, but Juice may not become as big of threat as safety valve in the passing game.



JJ may not make the All-Time BYU team, but I am really happy we have had him, and he is a classy guy. I love that he came to BYU.
L
Lawboy
My issue with JJ is that he does not like to run up the middle. He is always juking and trying to bust it outisde, even when the play should be between the tackles. I love his ability to make plays in space, but do not like his as a downhill runner. Which means he is hte polar opposite of Brian Kariya. Kariya is a downhill runner only, no real moves or ability to make people miss. Juice is more of a combo back between those 2. He will hit the hole in the middle.



I guess what I am syaing is that it really is situational for me. JJ gets it done to the outside and on passing downs, but Juice can too. Kariya is our short down battering ram. All 3 will play, but I suspect it will be situational. We will not have 1 feature back this year.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Lawboy is onto something regarding each of the 3 RBs strengths. Dupaix has indicated that bs will incorporate motion with the slot back position - moving them in and out of the backfield and slot position as RB/receiver hybrids. Expect to see JJ, Phillips and Falsev in this role as all can take the ball outside with the pitch or effectively catch the ball off the line when isolated against a LB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bigbluepuma
Even when JJ was in HS, it was clear that he was not a physcally gifted player. What he had then, as now, was heart-- a LOT of heart. I was really hoping that he would come to BYU, and I have not been disappointed. He is a classy person and a good player. I agree that it is a stretch to have him on the DW watch list, but I expect great things from him this year. I expect even greater things from Juice! :) :) I think our three headed monster will produce real dividends for us this year.
F
fallball
I don"t know who is better. I don't particularly think either is really fun to watch. Or rather I don't have a ton of confidence that something good is going to happen when either gets the ball.

BTW: I think it worth noting that each name on the initial Doak Walker watch list is submitted by each player's University, not an expert panel. So he being on the watch list is nothing more than a vote of confidence from his coaches in my opinion. (PS: longtime lurker, rarely a poster)
B
blue42
fallball wrote:
I don"t know who is better. I don't particularly think either is really fun to watch. Or rather I don't have a ton of confidence that something good is going to happen when either gets the ball.


?????????????????????????????????

I guess one great thing about ESPN is we will actually be able to see the players from here on out to determine how well they play. I love both players. JJ basically kept the team together last year and was the only offensive threat the first half of the year. I saw some pretty promising and impressive things with Juice last year that excites me for the next 3 years as well.



I am just wondering...... is this thread a feable attempt to relive the great discussion we had last summer between Heaps and Nelson? :sick:
B
bigbluepuma
When Tony Dorsett played for the Cowboys, he could carry the ball a dozen times and never get more than 2 yards, but every time he touched the ball, there was a chance that he would break a 70 yard TD (unless of course, there was only 65 yards to go). None of our RBs are that guy, but all are reliable and productive players who can help us win ball games. I am pleased with who we have.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.