Archived Topic

Haka?

by Dwight · 7/24/2011

Advertisement
D
Dwight
Sorry for the trivial post, but does anyone know the history behind BYU and the Haka? When did they start doing it, and why did they stop?
M
MojoCougar
I watched "Forever Strong" today, and I was wondering why BYU stopped doing it also. I know some people really despise it. I guess the question is, does it fire up the team?
W
Wickchad
The first time they did it it was freaking awesome. The crowd went nuts through the whole thing. Then the next game they lined up to do it again and the crowd started cheering for a few seconds and then sat and watched. It was pretty much down hill from there. After a while I was hoping they would stop doing it. I'm glad they no longer do it.
D
Ddawg
Personally - I like the Haka. I can understand taking a break - but - I would like to see it remain part of BYU football - in some way. The players & Coaches will figure it out.

8)
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Personally I am glad to see it gone. I believe that in order to perform it with the blessing of the mauri people a true decendent of the tribe must be on the team. I think seeing byu along with Hawaii and now Oregon performing it cheapens what is a very sacred ritual to those people.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KYCoug
Seeing the Blacks do it in Rugby is awesome. I'm sure there is a lot of cultural meaning that gets lost in the translation. A Tongan friend of mine told me what was actually being said and I'm not sure we couldn't come up with a better way of getting hyped up for a game, that is as far as it was translated correctly.



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
I
imuakahuku
trueblue72 wrote:
Personally I am glad to see it gone. I believe that in order to perform it with the blessing of the mauri people a true decendent of the tribe must be on the team. I think seeing byu along with Hawaii and now Oregon performing it cheapens what is a very sacred ritual to those people.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I don't know if I would call it "very sacred". I don't know of any Maori's that have ever been truly offended by "non-maori's" doing it.

I liked it and if it gives our players a nice boost before the game than great. I know every time I did it I got extra pumped (even in 4th grade :0)
M
Mars
trueblue72 wrote:
Personally I am glad to see it gone. I believe that in order to perform it with the blessing of the mauri people a true decendent of the tribe must be on the team. I think seeing byu along with Hawaii and now Oregon performing it cheapens what is a very sacred ritual to those people.

Is the Hawaiin Hulu also considered "sacred"? :skeptic:
T
trueblue72
The reason that I used the word sacred was, I knew a man who was direct decent and they still did it on the island for special occasions. He taught only a select few people the haka and I know of three guys he kicked out of the room because they were laughing about some of the word and actions. When he was telling me about it he used the word sacred. So mock what you want about the word sacred. But the hula (not the hulu) is not in the same class.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Mars wrote:
Personally I am glad to see it gone. I believe that in order to perform it with the blessing of the mauri people a true decendent of the tribe must be on the team. I think seeing byu along with Hawaii and now Oregon performing it cheapens what is a very sacred ritual to those people.

Is the Hawaiin Hulu also considered "sacred"? :skeptic:


Hawaiian Hulu, eh? Is that where everyone gets out laptops and start watching TV shows? ;)



I think you mean Hula. :D
I
imuakahuku
The haka was used to intimidate an enemy and "hype" your fellow warriors while the many hula dances tell stories and pass on ancient Hawaiian folklore.
M
Mars
Ungoy wrote:
Hawaiian Hulu, eh? Is that where everyone gets out laptops and start watching TV shows? ;)
Well, you know what they say- TV rots your brains.



...Oh well, back to watching Firefly! :D
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
Is the Hawaiin Hulu also considered "sacred"? :skeptic:


Maybe that explains why you still have to watch commercials after you shell out $8 a month for "plus"
B
BYULV
If I recall correctly, Mahuika was in charge of it and he was a decendant of a moari chief, or something along those lines.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
BYULV wrote:
If I recall correctly, Mahuika was in charge of it and he was a decendant of a moari chief, or something along those lines.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I thought it was his grandfather.
R
radius19
I personally loved it. I thought there were different variations that just about every Polynesian culture did. Pretty sure we have a poly brother or two on the team unless we offended them like Vai said (TIC) and we could do some form or another dependent upon which nations are represented on the team. I don't see why people were so offended by it when it was done towards our own fans and not towards the other team or opposing fans but whatever. Bring it back, don't bring it back, I just want fall camp to start so we can actually have stuff on the field to talk about like how our two 6'4 receivers are amazing and the TE's have finally pulled it together, etc. So stoked for this season, I can hardly wait!
B
blue42
radius19 wrote:
I personally loved it. I thought there were different variations that just about every Polynesian culture did. Pretty sure we have a poly brother or two on the team unless we offended them like Vai said (TIC) and we could do some form or another dependent upon which nations are represented on the team.


Crap does this mean the team will have to dance to Vanilla Ice's song Ice Ice Baby!!
S
snoscythe
blue42 wrote:
I personally loved it. I thought there were different variations that just about every Polynesian culture did. Pretty sure we have a poly brother or two on the team unless we offended them like Vai said (TIC) and we could do some form or another dependent upon which nations are represented on the team.


Crap does this mean the team will have to dance to Vanilla Ice's song Ice Ice Baby!!


No, the cultural dance of a white team would have to be the Chicken Dance.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.