Archived Topic

BYU is a BCS Type Program

by EM_Puma · 7/22/2011

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I saw David White at TBS record this thread and I couldn't say it better:



"Let's stop being our own worst critics. We are a BCS program. We are nationally acclaimed. Let's get the chip off our shoulder How many programs have an exclusive deal with ESPN? Um, two. BYU and Texas. How many so-called BCS programs could get a deal like ours with ESPN? You can probably count them on two hands. Do you think Utah could? What about a program like Missouri, or Vanderbilt, or Texas Tech?



I have seen people on here post how we are the best among non-BCS programs. Stop saying that! We are a BCS program. And I predict we will be in a BCS bowl in the next 2-3 years.



Here is a fun statistic for the board. BYU is one out of ten programs nationally that is in the top 30 in football attendance and basketball attendance. We join the ranks of programs like Ohio State, Texas, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, etc. If that's not a BCS program I don't know what is
."



In my mind, shame on TH for saying that we are not. I believe hopefully that his comment probably said more than he was thinking and he probably has been listening so much to Bronco spout that we need to earn it, but my heck, we've earned more than a lot of current members of the BCS.
G
Guest
I agree, shame on Holmoe for saying we're not. We are, over the last 5 years better than 80% of BCS programs out there.
C
CAFB_04-12
here here!
S
SpiffCoug
The problem is when people say "BCS Type Program" they immediately think of LSU, Aurburn, Oklahoma, and Texas. They don't think of Duke, Indiana, Vanderbilt or Iowa St.



So TH is saying we're not comparable to the LSUs and Oklahomas and we're saying you better believe we're at least a Duke or a Vanderbilt.
E
EM_Puma
SpiffCoug wrote:
The problem is when people say "BCS Type Program" they immediately think of LSU, Aurburn, Oklahoma, and Texas. They don't think of Duke, Indiana, Vanderbilt or Iowa St.



So TH is saying we're not comparable to the LSUs and Oklahomas and we're saying you better believe we're at least a Duke or a Vanderbilt.


So the next time you see Holmoe, tell him that exactly and his plain vanilla generic comment to the media that didn't elaborate was off the mark. He's usually so cautious about what he says that I was surprised when I saw the quote. I expect he'd qualify it like you note, but I wish he would have.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Agreed. I dont know if there was additional context or some "apologetics" going on, but it did not serve our purpose. But then again, we are proving our independence from the madness and corruption of the BCS and all everything else that is corrupt about college sports. BUt I agree with you EM, TH needs to clarify or modify.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.