Archived Topic

Road game victory tradition?

by Dwight · 7/21/2011

Advertisement
D
Dwight
Last year during the FSU game I learned tha FSU takes a piece of turf from the home team field if they win. Yes they had a piece of the field from Lavell Edward Stadium, and I suppose it wasn't hard to remove it that year. On campus they had what could be described as a grave yard of teams they had defeated. It made me wonder if BYU could implement some type of road game victory tradition fitting of our University. They are going to have some tough road games in the 1st few years of independence.
B
BYULV
If I recall, they only took turf from teams that were favored over them and then beat.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I thought it was they took turf from fields on which they hadn't previously played/won on.



They took LES turf because it was their first trip/victory here.
S
snoscythe
BYULV wrote:
If I recall, they only took turf from teams that were favored over them and then beat.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This. Underdog roadgame victories.



http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1061&CID=99984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D
Dwight
Thanks for the link. I like their tradition, but wonder if there isn't something BYU could do that might be a little more fitting of our institution. With no conference championship at stake, it would be fun to celebrate with a new tradition when a big road win is achieved.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Perhaps BYU can baptize the university president of every away team we beat?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kiwibacon
hawkwing wrote:
Perhaps BYU can baptize the university president of every away team we beat?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Where's the like button? :D
L
Lawboy
I think we just need to invite those teams back to Provo for a chance to get even--so we can play and beat them at home.
S
SpiffCoug
What if BYU started giving little flag pennants like soccer national teams do before matches. When the captains meet for the coin toss we can give them something like this:

http://www.byubookstore.com/webitemimages/439/40003570303.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kjjson
SpiffCoug wrote:
What if BYU started giving little flag pennants like soccer national teams do before matches. When the captains meet for the coin toss we can give them something like this:

http://www.byubookstore.com/webitemimages/439/40003570303.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I was thinking maybe more like this...

http://www.mormonchurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/bookofmormon.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
SpiffCoug wrote:
What if BYU started giving little flag pennants like soccer national teams do before matches. When the captains meet for the coin toss we can give them something like this:

http://www.byubookstore.com/webitemimages/439/40003570303.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I think the image needs to be rotated.



I mean...it IS a loin cloth right?
W
Wickchad
tmoney35 wrote:
This. Underdog roadgame victories.



http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1061&CID=99984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Were they really underdogs against Wake Forest in 2009?


I had thought that they took the grass regardless of if they were underdogs or not. But looking at the list of "sod games" from that article it only lists big name teams. BYU is the only non-BCS team on the list since the 70's. My guess is they identify the big non-conference road games at the start of the season and designate them as sod games before odds are even announced.
S
snoscythe
Wickchad84087 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
This. Underdog roadgame victories.



http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1061&CID=99984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Were they really underdogs against Wake Forest in 2009?


I had thought that they took the grass regardless of if they were underdogs or not. But looking at the list of "sod games" from that article it only lists big name teams. BYU is the only non-BCS team on the list since the 70's. My guess is they identify the big non-conference road games at the start of the season and designate them as sod games before odds are even announced.


No. Read the article--"before leaving for all road games in which Florida State is the underdog, all road games at the University of Florida and all ACC championship and bowl games"



FSU was a slight underdog going into WF in 2009 because Christian Ponder had just gone down in the Clemson after aggravating a rib injury and FSU was starting a true freshman QB on the road (who just looked awful in his few snaps at Clemson) in Riley Skinner's last home game for WF after WF just took two top teams (#19 Miami FL and #10 GT) to the wire, losing to Miami by one and losing to GT in overtime.



They got the WF sod because they were Vegas underdogs going in and won on the road.
D
DesertCougar
I think we should shoot pass along cards out of a cannon and let them rain down like confetti.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.