Archived Topic

Southern Expressions - for "Ole Miss" game

by byucougar1 · 7/20/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Being a transplant from UT to AR (thank goodness for MS :-)) for 5 years - "Do tell" it might take some time to get used to the drawl let alone the colloquialisms. Provided below are just a few "doozies":



That boy ain't right (He's a dumb son of a gun - little daft)

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's rainin'! (Don't lie to me.)

Well, slap my head and call me silly! (Well, I'll be damned!)

If leather were brains, he wouldn't have enough to saddle a junebug.

He's so dumb, he could throw himself on the ground and miss.

She's so pretty she could make a hound dog smile.

You'll go to hell for lyin' just as fast as fer stealin' chickens.

He was as mad as a mule chewin' on bumblebees!

You're lyin' like a no-legged dog!

Excuses are like behinds. Everybody's got one and they all stink.

Is a pig's rump made of pork?

He squeezes a quarter so tight the eagle screams. (Miserly)



You can say something bad a about someone if you include the phrase "Bless his/her heart"

Y'all is one person.

All y'all is more than one.

Yankee is anyone from north or outside the south. Damn Yankee is one that moved to the south and stayed.

Deep in the South where sushi is still called bait.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Screamineagle
"Dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining" thats my new favorite saying Thanks a bunch byucougar1 first time I say it my wife will probably have me sleeping on the porch.
B
byucougar1
The obvious response to that dillema would be "That dawg don't hunt". :crazy:
S
snoscythe
byucougar1 wrote:
The obvious response to that dillema would be "That dawg don't hunt". :crazy:


Or just tell her to "shut the front door."
B
byucougar1
That ain't right :whistle:
Advertisement
F
Florwood
When I lived in South Carolina I told one of the secretaries I was from Southern California, and did that mean I was a Yankee? She thought for a minute and said, "You're still a Yankee, but you're not a damn Yankee."
K
KYCoug
I love that you can say anything derogatory about a person as long as you preface it with "Bless His Heart"...as in Bless all y'alls Hearts! All y'all are clueless, I'm sure all y'all need to get educated on how to talk southern before we woop up on them sorry cow bell ringing hooligans don yonder in Mississip!



Go Cougs



L Hatton

Louisville, KY pronounced "Luavlle" for you damn Yankees
K
Kbear
I think that Ole Miss will be "as busy as a one legged dog in a butt-kickin' contest" when they play the Cougs! :crazy:
C
Cougs_Rule
Kbear wrote:
I think that Ole Miss will be "as busy as a one legged dog in a butt-kickin' contest" when they play the Cougs! :crazy:


I aint never seen one a dem one-legged dogs. Aint you talkin about a one-legged man? Are you just dumb or stupid? ;-)
F
Florwood
KYCoug wrote:
I love that you can say anything derogatory about a person as long as you preface it with "Bless His Heart"...as in Bless all y'alls Hearts!




In SC they'd say, "That boy's a mess" as in messed up, but in a kind, what are you gonna do sort of way...
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Well dag gum dmcougar! You is right. Ya know what they say. Stupid is as stupid does.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Now y'all don't get me plum riled up or Imma-gonna Hafta open up a can of whoop a-s!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MojoCougar
byucougar1 wrote:
Y'all is one person.

All y'all is more than one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


FYI-- Y'all, or y'all is NEVER singular, except in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, and scripts written by morons that don't know any better.
B
byucougar1
Explain the salutation "How ya'll doing" when passing by someone at work or on the street. Unless you answer on behalf of me, myself and I (more than one?)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
"Sheet" -- what the neighbors dog left on your lawn.
Advertisement
M
MojoCougar
byucougar1 wrote:
Explain the salutation "How ya'll doing" when passing by someone at work or on the street. Unless you answer on behalf of me, myself and I (more than one?)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I've never heard anyone say that, with the possible exception of the aforementioned Foghorn Leghorn. Are you sure it wasn't, "Howya doin?"

It's really not worth arguing about-- sorry I got so excited earlier. But check out this link if it still concerns you. I'm just saying I was born and raised in the south, and I've never heard ANYONE from the south use "y'all" as anything but plural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%27all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
byucougar1
Thanks for clarification - but the morons you were referring to must be here because it's used interchangeably. They might have a problem with a Yankee correcting them on when to use y'all so I'll give em the Wiki version in he form of a question - like when do y'all use y'all?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
"oh sheet" - circular pile



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
"oh sheet" = circular pile?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Excellent thread BYU Cougar1! Very entertaining! LOL! Good stuff.

:D :lol: :lol:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.