Archived Topic

Tanner Mangum - Elite 11 Camp

by byucougar1 · 7/19/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Won Golden Gun award on first day for accuracy. Only one to hit target at 45 yards. Started out slow but caught fire at the end. Turning lots of heads at this 5-day camp in Pepperdine (run by 13-year NFL vet Trent Dilfer from Fresno St. Heaps was the 2009 MVP at this same camp.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Sounds like he was the best on Day 2 as well. Won Golden Gun Award Day 2 as well. 2 for 2 so far.
D
Ddawg
The future looks bright for Tanner - and Cougar Football. Very exciting news.
B
byucougar1
According to recent ESPN article about elite 11 - Day 2, Tanner was also cited with 2 other QBs for his knowledge of Dilfer's playbook which was handed out 2 weeks prior to start of camp. I like the preparation component of this kid - mentally and physically.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
byucougar1 wrote:
Another good read by Gurney about how Tanner and the Ute recruit Wilson are faring.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700164674/Utah-BYU-football-Quarterback-recruits-shine-at-Elite-11-camp.html?pg=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


My favorite line of the whole article was the coach who compared Wilson's (the U's recruit) athletic ability to Drew Bledsoe---you know, the guy with the physique and athleticism of the Statue of Liberty. If the coach was trying to pay a compliment, he whiffed hard.
B
byucougar1
Perhaps he meant to say Wilson ran a good Statue of Liberty play.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
Another good read by Gurney about how Tanner and the Ute recruit Wilson are faring.



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700164674/Utah-BYU-football-Quarterback-recruits-shine-at-Elite-11-camp.html?pg=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


My favorite line of the whole article was the coach who compared Wilson's (the U's recruit) athletic ability to Drew Bledsoe---you know, the guy with the physique and athleticism of the Statue of Liberty. If the coach was trying to pay a compliment, he whiffed hard.


it also seemed as though most of his praise is that his 'potential' has no limit, ini other wors he has the physical set but it is still a question as to how good he will be or become.
B
BroncoBot
It's exciting, sure. Great exposure for BYU. I just hope it translates. I don't care if the kids wins a camp MVP or not as long as he's a winner at BYU. And I think that Magnum will be.
Advertisement
D
Dwight
Every time I see his name I think it is Magnum. Good thing QBs don't wear 44.
W
Wickchad
It sounds like Heaps was a master of 7 on 7. Sounds like Mangum may also be very good at 7 on 7.



Can someone explain what exactly they are supposed to do in 7 on 7? How do they have 7 on 7 tournaments? I assume it obviously is 7 offensive players against 7 defensive players. Is there anyone rushing the QB or a certain amount of time the QB has to make a read and pass the ball? etc? How does it work?
B
BroncoBot
Dwight wrote:
Every time I see his name I think it is Magnum. Good thing QBs don't wear 44.

wow, I just noticed that I've been reading Magnum this whole time.
D
DesertCougar
http://rise.espn.go.com/Football/Videos.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I love Trent Dilfer's comment about Tanner after day 4. "Tanner Mangum was perfect today...Literally he was perfect. He read everything perfect. He was on time...his accuracy was perfect, his leadership qualities, his energy. He just brings this spirit to the field with him. Jameis was number one on my list last night, but it is going to be hard not to make Tanner [number one]."



Dilfer felt the Spirit! Maybe Steve Young and the missionaries should stop by his place after the camp is over to explain what he felt. Gotta love it! ;)



Also I noticed Tanner was still wearing the yellow jersey and they made no mention of him losing it. Sounds like he might keep it all week long. I wonder if that has ever happened before. I hope it all translates.
U
urroner
DesertCougar wrote:
I hope it all translates.


I hope he doesn't get translated until after his time at BYU.
Advertisement
S
scott715
ESPN says he is ranked #2 with a half day tomorrow. he just might win MVP.
G
Guest
urroner wrote:
I hope it all translates.


I hope he doesn't get translated until after his time at BYU.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :evil:
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:
ESPN says he is ranked #2 with a half day tomorrow. he just might win MVP.

Sounds like #1 slipped a little this afternoon.

If he's had the yellow jersey all week, I have a hard time thinking he'll be less than #1 after tomorrow.
C
craigoscarson
declocoug wrote:
ESPN says he is ranked #2 with a half day tomorrow. he just might win MVP.

Sounds like #1 slipped a little this afternoon.

If he's had the yellow jersey all week, I have a hard time thinking he'll be less than #1 after tomorrow.


Regardless, anything less than a 4 star rating (5 stars not out of the question considering) is a smack in the face to this kid and what he's accomplished this summer.



He's firmly put himself in the conversation for the top prep QB in the country. Considering he did so after having an injury last season and coming out of Idaho, you know he has to be legit and had to blow away people... which he's obviously done.
B
byucougar1
http://www.deseretnews.com/mobile/article/705388017/BYU-football-QB-recruit-Tanner-Mangum-representing-more-than-himself.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Nice article by Gurney showing how well Tanner represents BYU and what it stands for as well as its Independence, his plans for serving a mission and the anticipated growth and development. He does not sound like a young 17-year old kid and exudes confidence. He appears to be something special. Loved the video interview.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.