Archived Topic

Jabari Parker-door opens a crack?

by EM_Puma · 7/14/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Thank The Jimmer! He has proven that you can come to BYU and 1) get tons of exposure and hype to follow you, 2) play college basketball at an elite level and compete for a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney, and 3) become a top 10 pick in the NBA draft.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
Thank The Jimmer! He has proven that you can come to BYU and 1) get tons of exposure and hype to follow you, 2) play college basketball at an elite level and compete for a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney, and 3) become a top 10 pick in the NBA draft.

And be recognized as player of the year--you don't need a Duke for that....
E
EM_Puma
It would be hard to argue that Jimmer hauling down an ESPY didn't hurt. What, you can become the male national college player of the year at BYU? Wow. That says a lot.
N
nuk13
"Oh yeah." Parker said. "That's my religion." That's the part that got me. I sure hope he comes to BYU but wherever he goes I hope he keeps his testimony. Does anyone know his conversion story? I bet there are a lot of famous black LDS but the media seems just to pounce on the negative stories. By the way I thought he was 6'6" but the article says 6'8" and 220lbs.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Jabari's mom is LDS and she served a mission from what I've heard. His dad is not LDS, but it sounds like he has allowed Jabari to be raised LDS. From all accounts a solid kid.



Hope he keeps his head on straight for the next 4-5 years. Would be a welcome addition at BYU if he decides to play in provo.
B
beauso79
Having Pope on board helps our chances I think. Hopefully our Bigs show enough improvement this year under Pope's guidance. That might help sway Parker as well
T
ThrowbackBlue
beauso79 wrote:
Having Pope on board helps our chances I think. Hopefully our Bigs show enough improvement this year under Pope's guidance. That might help sway Parker as well




I can tell you first-hand that watching Pope work with our bigs is going to make a HUGE and immediate impact moving forward. Watching him work with Davies is a thing of beauty.



Not only is he a good coach who knows his stuff but he's also a really nice guy. Looking forward to seeing what his contributions do for the team and Brandon Davies.
B
beauso79
ThrowbackBlue wrote:
Having Pope on board helps our chances I think. Hopefully our Bigs show enough improvement this year under Pope's guidance. That might help sway Parker as well




I can tell you first-hand that watching Pope work with our bigs is going to make a HUGE and immediate impact moving forward. Watching him work with Davies is a thing of beauty.



Not only is he a good coach who knows his stuff but he's also a really nice guy. Looking forward to seeing what his contributions do for the team and Brandon Davies.


So you've seen Pope in action then??
S
SpiffCoug
Since Brandon isn't even a student at BYU, couldn't Pope work with Davies all he wants?
Advertisement
S
scott715
I don't think it matters if he is enrolled or not. He would have to completely leave school or sign with another school.
T
ThrowbackBlue
beauso79 wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
Having Pope on board helps our chances I think. Hopefully our Bigs show enough improvement this year under Pope's guidance. That might help sway Parker as well




I can tell you first-hand that watching Pope work with our bigs is going to make a HUGE and immediate impact moving forward. Watching him work with Davies is a thing of beauty.



Not only is he a good coach who knows his stuff but he's also a really nice guy. Looking forward to seeing what his contributions do for the team and Brandon Davies.


So you've seen Pope in action then??


I have seen Pope in action. teaches great fundamentals and skills he obvioulsy learned and perfected over the years as a coach and NBA player. Not sure we've ever had a guy working so well one on one with our bigs.



PS: in case you are wondering, Bandon Davies will defintely play basketball for BYU this season.
S
SpiffCoug
He has completely left school. He is not currently associated with BYU right now.
C
craigoscarson
SpiffCoug wrote:
He has completely left school. He is not currently associated with BYU right now.


??
Advertisement
C
crh55
With all the talent returning next year in the front court, and some solid guards showing up, I wouldn't be surprised to see next year's team go back to the big dance with a decent seed.



Considering the WCC ESPN exposure and another NCAA appearance/win, BYU will look to be a pretty legitimate program in the eyes of these types of recruits.
S
SpiffCoug
crh55 wrote:
With all the talent returning next year in the front court, and some solid guards showing up, I wouldn't be surprised to see next year's team go back to the big dance with a decent seed.



Considering the WCC ESPN exposure and another NCAA appearance/win, BYU will look to be a pretty legitimate program in the eyes of these types of recruits.

Good points. If we can show that we're more than just Jimmer, big recruits could see us as a more viable option because they'll know we'll always have talent to play alongside them and that we're not just a flash in the pan that had one magical recruiting class pan out.
S
snoscythe
I don't think we're even close to Parker. Unless BYU has changed admission standards in the last ten years, I don't think only going to seminary two days a week is going to cut it for an LDS applicant. I remember as a HS junior being in full-blown panic mode the last two-months of the school year because if I missed another day and dropped below 60% BYU would no longer be an option. I don't think Parker is very close to 60% if he is only attending 2x a week like his mom says.
Q
Qman
snoscythe wrote:
I don't think we're even close to Parker. Unless BYU has changed admission standards in the last ten years, I don't think only going to seminary two days a week is going to cut it for an LDS applicant. I remember as a HS junior being in full-blown panic mode the last two-months of the school year because if I missed another day and dropped below 60% BYU would no longer be an option. I don't think Parker is very close to 60% if he is only attending 2x a week like his mom says.


I really don't think Seminary attendance is a requirement for BYU admission. I thought the endorsement from your bishop and your grades and test scores.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.