Archived Topic

Ummmm...Media Day?

by BYUcougfan · 7/12/2011

Advertisement
B
BYUcougfan
Love the team, but Media Day was a bit underwhelming. Not sure what the point was.
S
SpiffCoug
I guess you've missed all the interviews with players, coaches and admin types. Which is what Media Day is - a day for the media to ask questions to the program.
T
trueblue72
I heard there were going to he big announcements. Where are the fireworks? Where is the big scheduling news?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
radius19
Calm down everyone. It was a media day, not a big announcement day. It is what it is and I enjoyed the parts that I was able to catch today because I wasn't expecting anything other than what I was given. Scheduling stuff will come when it comes. Just enjoy the media representation we're getting and move on.
D
Dwight
I kind of liked it. Much better than watching the MTN media day last year.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think many were hoping for scheduling news, but BYU never said they would release any day. So the build up was all speculation.



Today basically replaced the MWC Media Day. Instead, BYU got to highlight itself individually, put s spotlight on its facilities, its ESPN partnership (10 games in 2011. 10!!!), and then have Bronco, TH speak. Then roll out a load of players for interviews. At MWC Media Day, BYU usually took 2 or 3, but today, the program made about a dozen players, several coaches, and past BYU great available, It was really a unique event. It also allowed BYU to use the BYUtv facilities in a unique way, and ESPN3 also got a test run on piggybacking that broadcast.



Not to mention that ESPN brought 5 employees to the event that participated--Dave Brown, Trevor Matich, Steve Young, Holly Rowe and Andrea Adelson. It was an unprecedented event in NCAA Football.
S
snoscythe
What sucked the most was the media--with all the hype about scheduling going in (including a tweet last night that a question to BYU whether scheduling announcements would be made today was met with a "no comment"), no one bothered to step up and ask if there were any more games scheduled but not yet disclosed.



It was lame of BYU to feed the hype with "no comment" the night before, and then just tease along everyone throughout the day that they knew were tuning in for the big announcement. Bush-league.
S
SpiffCoug
Also, think of what BYU did today. BYU had coaches being interviewed for TV, had three local radio stations (700, 1280 and 1320) broadcasting live simultaneously while print media were tweeting and facebooking about what was going on. Can any other program pull that off?
Y
Yndian
There is some news they didn't share today...


gregwrubell wrote:
On KSL Radio today, I asked Bronco how close the 2012 FB schedule was to being finished. Me: "One or two teams left?" Bronco: "Or none."



Bronco preceded the aforementioned comment with "We're pretty close in '12 and getting very close in '13 (to completing schedules)."


They must still be in the process of dotting i's and crossing t's.
K
kiwibacon
I enjoyed what I was able to catch today. I was impressed with who was represented from the media. I was very impressed with the quality that was running on BYUTV and the ability ESPN3 had in piggybacking. It was A LOT of publicity. It was the FRONT PAGE INTRO for ESPN3 for goodness sakes. It was great exposure and that is what BYU has been looking for. I was very happy.
Advertisement
P
ProV1
I thought it was great too, the facilities are first class.



(I'll probably get ripped for this, but...) after listening to a little of the players' interviews I thought that they need to have a class for athletes on how to give a good interview. I'm not trying to knock anyone because I love our guys but I would like to see them a little more polished. For example, Jimmer starts every sentence with umm. He gives good, honest answers, he just needs to kick that habit. Yesterday, Heaps said his family and wife help him keep his shoulders on straight. Cliche mash up of 'head on straight' and 'good head on my shoulders'. It's no big deal, I just want his National Champions interview to go smoothly.
D
DesertCougar
I agreed given the amount of players that have been interviewed in past years versus how many will be interviewed going forward via BYUtv & ESPN. More exposure means more interview experience means less fumbling over their words...I'll give them a year or so to get better at it. And sometimes they were all over the place with their comments. Interview coaching would be a good idea.
D
DesertCougar
Yndian wrote:
There is some news they didn't share today...


On KSL Radio today, I asked Bronco how close the 2012 FB schedule was to being finished. Me: "One or two teams left?" Bronco: "Or none."



Bronco preceded the aforementioned comment with "We're pretty close in '12 and getting very close in '13 (to completing schedules)."


They must still be in the process of dotting i's and crossing t's.


So this makes me think the same thing...why not announce 2012 if it is done? Then I got to thinking, what if the unknown games of 2012 end up getting filled in with Div II teams? Maybe there is nothing news worthy to announce in regards to 2012. Then this Indy thing might start to look like not such a good idea. Clearly BYU & ESPN don't want that.



Now considering that we have had more time to prep the 2013 schedule, what if it turns out to be a stellar, BCS-worthy schedule? We already have Texas, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Boise State and Hawai'i on tap. Add in one mediocre SEC team (Clemson or Arkansas), one Big East team (Cincy or BC) and two Pac 12 teams (Utah & ASU per the rumor). Then fill in with Utah State, and three more WAC/non-AQ teams or even a military team. All the sudden you have an awesome schedule.



Then it would make a ton of sense to announce the two years (or more) at the same time, especially if 2013 is "very close" to being done. It would make national news, require lots of analysis, be a slap to all the naysayers, and be a huge boost to our recruiting - not to mention future scheduling efforts. I think this is most likely the case since Bronco's comments yesterday about scheduling seemed to lack the typical gushing luster as in past interviews.
S
snoscythe
DesertCougar wrote:
There is some news they didn't share today...


gregwrubell wrote:
On KSL Radio today, I asked Bronco how close the 2012 FB schedule was to being finished. Me: "One or two teams left?" Bronco: "Or none."



Bronco preceded the aforementioned comment with "We're pretty close in '12 and getting very close in '13 (to completing schedules)."


They must still be in the process of dotting i's and crossing t's.


So this makes me think the same thing...why not announce 2012 if it is done? Then I got to thinking, what if the unknown games of 2012 end up getting filled in with Div II teams? Maybe there is nothing news worthy to announce in regards to 2012. Then this Indy thing might start to look like not such a good idea. Clearly BYU & ESPN don't want that.



Now considering that we have had more time to prep the 2013 schedule, what if it turns out to be a stellar, BCS-worthy schedule? We already have Texas, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Boise State and Hawai'i on tap. Add in one mediocre SEC team (Clemson or Arkansas), one Big East team (Cincy or BC) and two Pac 12 teams (Utah & ASU per the rumor). Then fill in with Utah State, and three more WAC/non-AQ teams or even a military team. All the sudden you have an awesome schedule.



Then it would make a ton of sense to announce the two years (or more) at the same time, especially if 2013 is "very close" to being done. It would make national news, require lots of analysis, be a slap to all the naysayers, and be a huge boost to our recruiting - not to mention future scheduling efforts. I think this is most likely the case since Bronco's comments yesterday about scheduling seemed to lack the typical gushing luster as in past interviews.




According to Jay Drew's interview with Holmoe, there are only 9 games for 2012 that are for sure set right now. The 10th is really close and could be done already, and 11 and 12 are not that close. Holmoe calls them "complicated."



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/52182883-65/game-games-holmoe-byu.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The thing that really peeves me is that BYU was asked the day before if scheduling announcements were going to be made, and instead of saying "no," they fed the hype with "no comment" instead of just answering the question when they knew about all the rumor and speculation that scheduling announcements were going to be made.
L
Lawboy
Rumor is that game #10--a home game--is against Idaho. We will not go to their place because not worth it $$$ wise. Apparently, BYU is giving them a hoops game at their place instead. As to the other 2 games, based upon comments made by TH, they are schools that do not have ESPN TV deals. Sounds like smaller schools, C-USA perhaps, who is Fox exclusive in 2011, or even MWC or Army/Navy. Outside shot at SEC, who has a primary deal with CBS. But TH made it clear that it was not an ESPN issue, so those schools make most sense.
Advertisement
D
DeVon
What about big ten? Does this reference primary or secondary rights, because the issue could be that he/they are not sure where it will be aired and so extra ink has to be added to the contract concerning if it airs on BTN (or some other secondary rights network) then who gets the rebroadcasting rights. I would love to see one more big team in the mix for 2012 but it is already shaping up to be a tough road schedule.
S
SpiffCoug
Didn't they say that they were going to have a televised 30 min pre-game show on BYUtv before each home game?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.