Archived Topic

A Rising Tide:Tanner Mangum reflects supreme scouting of BYU

by craigoscarson · 7/9/2011

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
A rising tide lifts all boats and this is what Tanner Mangum is doing for BYU right now.



This summer, Tanner Mangum has absolutely crushed the competition in his prep camps and combines, yet he committed to BYU without much of a national ripple.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6751387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This is my feeling about BYUs recent recruiting. They're getting great players that simply are't playing the "give me attention, give me stars" game early in their careers (or in the case of Mangum, switched schools, got hurt, etc. etc.). There is no doubt based on his performance that he's at minimum a 4 star qb and possibly a 5 star guy.



The word needs to get out and get out fast on studs like Mangum, Hoyt, Weeks, Pauu, Amone, Williams, Hadley, Sandlin etc.



When the truth is clear about these quality recruits, it'll draw more quality recruits.



Mangum, Hoyt, Weeks and Pauu are 4 star quality players. Sandlin, Hadley, and others deserve their current high rankings and Amone, Williams, and JLD are legit 3 star guys.



Stars don't really matter and the sites get it wrong all the time. (Colby Jorgenson last year was likely the best TE prospect in the country and maybe the best overall athlete.. yet he only got 3 stars... Stehley Reden was a 2 star in spite of his 6'6" 260 frame and incredible burst and speed as a DE ) BUT I just have a feeling that the emergence of Tanner Mangum as possibly the best QB prospect in the 2012 class is going to pay big dividends as the summer progresses.
S
SpiffCoug
Interesting how Mangum is getting love from ESPN. I'm guessing this is stemming from attending their camps and BYU's deal with ESPN. But Jake Heaps, who was probably a better prospect and spurned ESPN camps couldn't do anything to warrant any real praise from the mothership.



Amazing what independence and partnership with ESPN can do.
B
byucougar1
The description of Tanner throwing an 18-yard cut back to Jerry Rice was indicative of the respect he is getting from NFL players and coaches at the Nike 7-7 camp. One even sAid he was the best throwing QB in the camp. Whew - we have a really bright future at QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
I think BYU has done a solid job recruiting the last 4 years. The last 3 classes in particular. Bronco went for character over other aspects in his early classes because BYU FB was a mess when he took over, but now, the talent is on the rise, and guys who see the field will really have been tested to get there from M-F because of our increasing depth of talent. BYU has more depth now--especially on defense--than it has ever had. And that does show great scouting and recruiting.
B
byucougar1
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/30541826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Another great article about how Tanner is performing. Note he states that he and Dylan Collie are trying to recruit other great players to commit to BYU similar to Heaps and Apo last year. Tanner is also attending the Elite 11 Camp at Pepperdine. Sounds like the team will have an emissary to tout the quality of the program to other potential recruits during his attendance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
I enjoyed the ESPN article. Looks like Quarterback U is back. I will enjoy the new era of BYU football that is about to eclipse Bronco's first taste of success with the 2006-2009 teams. He coached great with middling talent. Now that he has solid, if not great, talent, where will this team finish?



I can't wait to see.
B
byucougar1
Tanner is described by his coach as "aggressively thoughtful" which I interpret as conscientiously pushing the envelope without high risk in an effort to keep the defense off balance and guessing where the next pass is coming from. This is different from superconfident Max Hall who was aggressive but forced the ball into tight places hoping to make a big play but also taking big risks - which oftentimes backfired. He would be known as a gunslinger - gambler.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
I have actually seen him play. He is EASILY four star. He has a cannon for an arm and is easily as mobile a QB as Nelson. BSU's Peterson wanted him so BADLY. I think he has an older brother on a mission who was on the scout team when he was a freshman. He played varsity BB last year--he's an athlete in other words. No I'm not related but I'm excited BYU got him. If I were a receiver I know where I'd want to go...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
http://mobile.twitter.com/georgewhitfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Two recent tweets by George :-) his 7-7 coach



He torched the talent out there and he has a strong and accurate arm with good decision making skills - one of best talents on the field.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
Did anyone watch the 7-7 last Friday on ESPNU? I'd like to see the video of Mangum.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I watched a little of it. Tanner made a lot of nice throws. I thought his arm reminded me of Heaps in HS. If you go back and watch highlights of Heaps as a SO, JR and SR you can see his arm strength improve each year. Tanner's arm was certainly in the same ball park as Heaps' as a JR, IMO.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.