Archived Topic

Brandon Fanaika Interview

by Lawboy · 7/8/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Good work by Brandon Gurney. Interesting interview. After hearing this, I think Fanaika choose UCLA or BYU.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU87BLapzNM
D
Ddawg
I keep "hoping against hope" that "X" will jump from UCLA to the Y after his mission. If he was to do that - I think it would have a powerful impact on Fanaika's decision - bringing him into the Cougar fold. I think "X" returns sometime this Fall.
B
BroncoBot
Gotta give "X" props for actually following through and serving a mission. When a guy plays football for a school (outside BYU) and has his head on straight enough to actually become a missionary, it says something.



At the same time, it hurts a little more knowing he would have been a great fit at BYU. Wonder if at the time they were just a little "star-struck" with the big name and sleek recruiting. Whatever the case, here's hoping "X" continues to represent well and also that Fanaika ends up wearing a "stretch-Y" on his helmet weekly.
B
byucougar1
He mentions three factors that will be very important:



1. Education - parents have stressed this is a key to future success.

2. Environment - wants to surround himself in an en ironment where he can make good choices and influences to be a better person.

3. Coaches - wants to be able to get along with them and establish a good connection.



He mentioned by name Mendenhall, Doman and Dupaix favorably and the letters that they write him - shows that they care. Also notes the pressure to commit. Presently wants to see everything out there and make a decision after he finishes football season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
X was a tough loss, and the kid is still really close with the Reynolds family. But i hear there were other issues that contributed that are no longer at BYU. But, I think X is happy at UCLA, and I will pull for the kid regardless. He is serving in Tallahassee and I got to meet him at the FSU game last year, and he is a really nice kid.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
What were the issues and under whose watch were they resolved?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
The issues were personality, from what I am told, and consider it addition by subtraction.



When Bronco was talking about recapturing the hearts and minds of his players, he was not just talking about the defense. But he started there and finished after the season ended.
G
Guest
Hey, Anae is now gone. I wonder if that is a coincidence ;)
X
x-rugger
winner! even with the change i expect X will stay at UCLA, as he doesn't want to lose a year with a transfer (thanks for nothing USU).
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
Hey, Anae is now gone. I wonder if that is a coincidence ;)


Bingo!!! Ha-ha-ha-ha!!
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Ddawg wrote:
Hey, Anae is now gone. I wonder if that is a coincidence ;)


Bingo!!! Ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Must be. Because Vai told us by not hiring Atuaia we were alienating the Polynesian population of football players.
L
Lawboy
Anae was not always helping the BYU recruiting effort, and that is one of Vai's blind spots. HE stands for friends and family over difficult realities at times, and he wrote an article defending Robert as a person. I get why, but does no change he fact that it made his assertion off base.
B
byucougar1
Interesting that the Marketing Department is developing inspirational videos that set the Y apart and they are being broadcast through BYUtv. Check out video "With Honor" as Bronco, with a football influenced backdrop, encourages students to sieze the opportunity to be the best that they can be and represent their school in all facets of their life. This is what is resonating with the recruits. The chance to make a difference on and off the field is very enticing to the type of young men we are recruiting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.