Archived Topic

BYU Night Games

by byufan4ever · 7/6/2011

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/52049785-88/games-espn-fans-pierce.html.csp



What do you guys think about ESPN scheduling us for mostly night games?


There will be a few more night games than they’re used to,” said Burke Magnus, ESPN’s senior vice president of college sports. “They’re also back in the mix on Thursdays and Fridays in a limited way.


What about Thursday and Friday games? I thought Bronco didn't like playing on those days.



Personally, as an out-of-state fan, I'll just DVR each game and watch without commercials, but I want to know what others think.
G
Guest
I don't mind Saturday night games that end no latter than 8pm or so. Anything later is unacceptable to me.



I'm also open to 2-3 non Saturday games a year (with only 1 of them on a Thursday). Some people are too excited to be back in the ESPN fold. Yes it's nice, but we're one of the big boys and we deserve Saturdays.
L
Lawboy
I am a fan of night games. It gives me all day Saturday to be home, get things done, watch some games, and get ready for the BYU game. I even like Thursday and Friday games because I do not mind leaving work early to go to a game. If it is a home game, I would like it done by 10:30pm though.



Something great about games under the lights. Brings a different energy and excitement.
Y
Y12
I like night games. I thought that was the more coveted time slot for TV viewership.



Growing up, I considered playing on Thursday night a privilege. Back then you were the only game in town--nationwide broadcast. Only the best teams got to do it.



The Friday night isn't so great.
A
aabyucougars pa
Y12 wrote:
I like night games. I thought that was the more coveted time slot for TV viewership.



Growing up, I considered playing on Thursday night a privilege. Back then you were the only game in town--nationwide broadcast. Only the best teams got to do it.



The Friday night isn't so great.

I completely agree with you. Friday night games on ESPN don't carry the pop that Thursday night games do. Maybe having a drawing card like BYU will help ESPN create more presence on Friday night for college football.



Thursday night games are still great for national exposure. In recent years ESPN has started to cram multiple games on Thursday's between ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU - even double headers on ESPN on Thursday nights. Maybe Friday night games will give us an attentive national audience.



New poster here, looking forward to a great season. I like the move to independent - it will give us east coast guys a better chance at catching some road games.



Have a good one.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
aabyucougars pa wrote:
New poster here, looking forward to a great season. I like the move to independent - it will give us east coast guys a better chance at catching some road games.



Have a good one.


Welcome to CougarCorner!
W
Wickchad
On Thursday night I love Thursday night games. On the Saturday following a Thursday night game I wish they were playing a game that day...



Night games are awesome during September and early October. I'd prefer games at 1 pm during November...
S
stuckinbig10country
All of the BYU home games that will be broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2 will be night games, all of which will end no earlier than 9:30, with the rivalry game probably getting over about 11:00 or so local time. ESPN wants west coast views, and so they don't mind putting these games at this time.



ESPN is going to try and use BYU like they have in the past to launch new things. No one wanted to play on Thursdays, until ESPN gave that time slot to BYU a lot. ESPN wanted BYU for those Tuesday/Wednesday games, because they knew they'd get a following. The Tuesday/Wednesday games didn't take off because outside of Boise St, there were no teams that drew any type of number for those spots in the WAC or the MAC.



BYU will be playing 3 or 4 Friday night games a year for the length of this ESPN contract. That's just the way it's going to be, so we might as well get used to it.
R
RobertMRogers
I've always enjoyed Capture the Flag.
L
Lawboy
I suspect we will have 3 or 4 Thursday-Friday games per year, but I have no problem with it. Tell me the time, I will be there. If that is the price of Independence, it is well worth that cost.
Advertisement
A
aabyucougars pa
Florwood wrote:
New poster here, looking forward to a great season. I like the move to independent - it will give us east coast guys a better chance at catching some road games.



Have a good one.


Welcome to CougarCorner!

Many thanks. Looking for to it.
C
CAFB_04-12
Basically, I'd rather be on ESPN on Thursday or Friday nights than on the Mtn Saturdays at noon.
B
BroncoBot
CAFB! Post of the day!
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
I am a fan of night games. It gives me all day Saturday to be home, get things done, watch some games, and get ready for the BYU game. I even like Thursday and Friday games because I do not mind leaving work early to go to a game. If it is a home game, I would like it done by 10:30pm though.



Something great about games under the lights. Brings a different energy and excitement.


Amen. Love night games. Always have. Give me a 7 PM kick any time! Get to spend all day watching CFball, and then get to top it off with a game at LES!
B
BYUcougfan
I like Saturday night games in September. My seats are on the east side and it can get dang hot in the mid-afternoon.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.