Archived Topic

Enhancing Independence

by BYUgeezer · 7/3/2011

Advertisement
B
BYUgeezer
A couple of ideas for enhancement of Independence have crossed my mind recently. These ideas were spawned by a couple news items I read recently. One was the decision of the Pac 10 to eliminate OOC games during October and November, and the other had to do with the Basketball schedule with Utah. I believe it mentioned that we would only play them once instead of home and home.



Idea #1- Would be a revenue sharing agreement coupled with the basketball game being played in the arena of the previous year’s winner. I believe that would bring some relevance to the game and additional incentive to win.



Idea #2 – Create an Independent football championship trophy of some sort for the winner of head to head games between Notre Dame, BYU, Army, and Navy. It could be something along the lines of the Commander in Chief Award the Academy’s have. I know it would take some time to coordinate schedules and agreements but it would be an exciting little battle during the Rivalry weeks. It would help each Independent team fill the hard part of its schedule. The Army Navy game is already scheduled then so that wouldn’t be a big deal. This could be an Armed forces / Religious war event, and could become something of real interest across the nation.



Please add your ideas and opinions.
V
vancouvercougar
I love idea number 1. Number 2 has potential.
W
Wickchad
BYUgeezer wrote:
A couple of ideas for enhancement of Independence have crossed my mind recently. These ideas were spawned by a couple news items I read recently. One was the decision of the Pac 10 to eliminate OOC games during October and November, and the other had to do with the Basketball schedule with Utah. I believe it mentioned that we would only play them once instead of home and home.



Idea #1- Would be a revenue sharing agreement coupled with the basketball game being played in the arena of the previous year’s winner. I believe that would bring some relevance to the game and additional incentive to win.



Idea #2 – Create an Independent football championship trophy of some sort for the winner of head to head games between Notre Dame, BYU, Army, and Navy. It could be something along the lines of the Commander in Chief Award the Academy’s have. I know it would take some time to coordinate schedules and agreements but it would be an exciting little battle during the Rivalry weeks. It would help each Independent team fill the hard part of its schedule. The Army Navy game is already scheduled then so that wouldn’t be a big deal. This could be an Armed forces / Religious war event, and could become something of real interest across the nation.



Please add your ideas and opinions.


Why share revenue with the utes when they don't bring any fans to their arena anyway? We are already sharing revenue by packing their place with our fans.
S
Short_Change
I really like idea number 2. I've always thought since we went independent that we should play ND, Army, & Navy every year at the end of the year, but hadn't ever thought about putting a trophy of some sort behind it. I like it. It's not a conference championship but it is something that the players could hang their hat on in a similar way.



The question if that comes to fruition is what do you call the trophy and what would it be/look like?
L
Lawboy
Not sure all those schools go for it, but would love to play all 3 the same year,
Advertisement
B
BYUgeezer
The only reason we share revenue is to get them to do it. There is no way they schedule us if we win all the time and every game is in Provo.



On #2-If this could be pulled off it might lead to an independent conference type of association that may entice several other schools to make the leap. USC and Texas might like to have control of their own destiny if they can make all the money from their network. We might end up with a BCS conference with no Commissioner and no board of directors.



As to the Trophy. How about The "God and Country" award.
S
scott715
I like the ideas. How about BYU vs ND and Navy vs Army. Then the winners play each other and the losers play each other. A mini football tournament. I know there is an issue with who is the home team. But it is a move in the right direction in the evolution.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.