Archived Topic

Most QB losses?

by Florwood · 6/29/2011

Advertisement
F
Florwood
Read something on Max, winningest QB in BYU history, and I wondered, who is the losingest QB in BYU history, based on total losses?



Thanks to Cougarstats I see that Lavell was the 'losingest' coach, with 101 losses (Hal Mitchell the worst % at .267).



Anyone know how to go way back and see who the starting QBs were, since this distinction would likely to to someone before 1963, the last period BYU was seriously awful? Someone good enough to start multiple years, on teams that were bad enough to lose lose lose...
Y
Y12
Before 1963 there wasn't the quarterback position as we know it now.



Eldon Fortie started both 1961 and 1962, but he was primarily a runner. However, when the team threw the ball he was the one that did it. You will not find anyone who considers Fortie to have been a quarterback.



I don't have time to look up all the numbers, but ...



Feterik

1997: 6-3 as a starter (did not start the Washington and UTEP losses)

1998: 9-5 as a starter

1999: 8-4 as a starter

Total: 23-12



Carter

1964: ???

1965: 6-4

1966: 8-2

2 year totals: 14-6



Walsh

1992: 1-2

1993: 6-5 (didn't start the Fresno St. game)

1994: 10-3

Total: 17-10



Beck

2003: 1-3

2004: 5-7 or 5-6

2005: 6-6

2006: 10-2 (did not start Utah State game)

Total: 22-19 or 22-18
L
Lawboy
John Beck lost a ton his first 2 seasons starting under Crowton. Even his first under Bronco had 6 losses. 2 losses in 2006. And many losses in 2003/2004 as starter. I suspect he tops the list of losses since 1970.
W
Wickchad
Lawboy wrote:
John Beck lost a ton his first 2 seasons starting under Crowton. Even his first under Bronco had 6 losses. 2 losses in 2006. And many losses in 2003/2004 as starter. I suspect he tops the list of losses since 1970.


Beck still has a winning percentage above 50% even though he may have the most total losses. Beck, Max Hall, and Ty Detmer are the only QB's I can remember that started three seasons. I assume there is a QB that started at least one season (11 games) that didn't win 50% of their games. Unless Matt Berry or Bret Engemann started enough games during the Crowton era to make them candidates for this honor, I'd assume we would be looking for a QB from before LaVel's time.
1
1967cougar
Don't have any facts at my fingertips, but wasn't there a kid names Giles from SC who stunk it up for a year or so. Had to be around 70-71. Maybe 74? Don't know. I was working on a PE minor back then and I remember him walking down the hallways in the Smith Fieldhouse thinking he was so cool. All I could think of was The Emperor's Clothes. Guy thought he was cool. Everyone else was saying, "Get this loser out of my face."
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.