Archived Topic

WCC Counts Down to BYU

by Ovid · 6/28/2011

Advertisement
O
Ovid
Wrubell reports that the West Coast Conference has a countdown to BYU joining the WCC.



Here's the WCC site: http://www.wccsports.com/#



Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.
E
EM_Puma
It will be interesting to watch our relationship with the other school in thw WCC because it will hard for them to not naturally have a little BYU envy or something because we get a lot more recognition. I think we've earned it, but I can't imagine it being easy for them to have someone come on that has a large reputation. I think people know less about some of the WCC schools than they knew about MWC schools. The MWC schools were like kids we grew up with and so they never wanted to acknowledge that we were any different than them. In a way, such a treatment assisted somewhat the estrangement we have as we leave the conference.
O
Ovid
I agree. This first year in the WCC, it will be very important for BYU and its fans to represent in the best possible light. We've become so used to the way the MWC schools treated us, that in a way, we reciprocated, sometimes lowering ourselves to their level. From what I have heard, the WCC should be al least a small step up in sportsmanship, but I think a lot of that will be determined by how the BYU players, coaches, and fans act this season, especially during the first few conference games. We have a chance for a new start, in a new league, and we need to make the most of it.

I think I remember a thread a few months back talking about WCC forums, both for the individual schools, and the conference as a whole. Anybody know of those sites?
B
BroncoBot
less than a day and a half till BYU joins WCC!!!!! Totally agree with you Ovid. BYU was definitely the most hated team in the MWC, it would be nice to have a mutual respect with other fans in the WCC.
1
1967cougar
I think it would be great if, on the first visit of each WCC team to the Marriott Center, we had a bunch of signs and banners welcoming them to BYU. We could even cheer for them as their names are introduced just before tip-off. If even 25% of our fans did that, it would amount to a much bigger ovation than they would ever get in their own confines!



I hope they all understand how very much we appreciate leaving the MWC and being a part of the WCC.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm going to go ahead and pass cheering for opposing teams. Maybe a welcome banner. But I'm certainly not going to cheer for them.
C
CougarClaw
Ovid wrote:
Wrubell reports that the West Coast Conference has a countdown to BYU joining the WCC.



Here's the WCC site: http://www.wccsports.com/#



Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.


The intro video talks about The Northwest...and then says "a New Dawn". Seems a bit Vampiric for my liking.



the rest of it was neat.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, I was waiting for the we're all excited for Team BYU, as it leaves the Twilight of the MWC, to help us Eclipse the WAC.
S
stuckinbig10country
Since TCU is in the central time zone, can we use midnight central time as the cutoff. If so, 40 mins away.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
It is now time. I celebrated by spending the night at the SF airport (flight was cancelled). At the least I am in WCC country.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and pass cheering for opposing teams. Maybe a welcome banner. But I'm certainly not going to cheer for them.


How about three more courteous claps during the opposing team introductions?



Honestly, I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing the same treatment from WCC schools as we received from MWC schools. We're the new/big kid on the block. Everyone will be itching to beat us from the get go. After a few years, everyone will want to be our rival and everyone will feel slighted when we don't reciprocate them as a rival.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.