Archived Topic

ESPN.com's 5-on-5 bags on the Jimmer

by snoscythe · 6/21/2011

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I guess these guys pay less attention to draft combines and pre-draft workouts than we do:



http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?page=5-on-5-110620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The best chance any of them give him is "I think he can be an extremely valuable combo guard off the bench."



:skeptic:
S
SpiffCoug
The guy from 48MinutesofHell.com knows nothing. To include why Morrison flamed out of the NBA. Morrison average nearly 12ppg as a rookie. Only three rookies from last year average double digits. He blew out his knee and was never the same.



Jimmer is a good story. But he's not a good story because he came out of nowhere to have a magical run during a few week stretch late in the season. He's been a great story since midway through his sophomore season. For the final 2 1/2 years of his college career, teams gameplanned for him. He found ways to produce night in and night out.



To basically think he's the current flavor of the day is just ignorant.
S
Schmoe
Didn't Jimmer beat the $#!+ out of Derrick Williams? Twice!?
T
tww
I really think Jimmer has the potential to do as well or better in the NBA than he did in college. The reason is that he plays best when his teammates play well. If he goes to a team with decent talent (especially underneath) then that opens up his game.



Drafting Walker is a gamble, Jimmer is almost a no-brainer.



If the Jazz have a chance to take him and pass by the 12th pick they will get an earful from fans that will last throughout Jimmer's career.
C
Cougs_Rule
Blue-goguery abounds.

Listen guys, if you had to bet 1,000 dollars on two possibilities for Jimmer, where would you put your money right now? That he is a great sixth man, like a Jason Terry (not a bad gig) and a specialist like JJ Barea to give a scoring punch off the bench OR a starting PG in the NBA? where would you put your money?

Fact is, JIMMER is atypical. Now some atypicals make it in the NBA as starters and even stars, but odds would favor, at this point, for him to come off the bench and not start as a point guard.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Isn't every all-star in the league atypical? Thats why they are all stars.
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Blue-goguery abounds.

Listen guys, if you had to bet 1,000 dollars on two possibilities for Jimmer, where would you put your money right now? That he is a great sixth man, like a Jason Terry (not a bad gig) and a specialist like JJ Barea to give a scoring punch off the bench OR a starting PG in the NBA? where would you put your money?

Fact is, JIMMER is atypical. Now some atypicals make it in the NBA as starters and even stars, but odds would favor, at this point, for him to come off the bench and not start as a point guard.

But the guys bagging on Jimmer are intimating that he's much closer to being out of the league in 3-years than he is to even being a decent role player.
T
tmoney35
dmcougar wrote:
Blue-goguery abounds.




You say it like it's a bad thing :crazy:
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
Isn't every all-star in the league atypical? Thats why they are all stars.


I would say All-stars are more prototypical than atypical--but maybe atypical when compared to us mortals. Spud Webb was atypical, for example, and made it as a star in the nba--not sure he would qualify as All-star or super-star, but had 5-8 very productive years--on the "right" team.
C
Cougs_Rule
tmoney35 wrote:
Blue-goguery abounds.




You say it like it's a bad thing :crazy:


good point. maybe i'm prototypically (or atypically on this site) prone toward blue-goguery.

While others, more blu-timisit about Jimmer would be Blue-goggle-ry.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
Blue-goguery abounds.

Listen guys, if you had to bet 1,000 dollars on two possibilities for Jimmer, where would you put your money right now? That he is a great sixth man, like a Jason Terry (not a bad gig) and a specialist like JJ Barea to give a scoring punch off the bench OR a starting PG in the NBA? where would you put your money?

Fact is, JIMMER is atypical. Now some atypicals make it in the NBA as starters and even stars, but odds would favor, at this point, for him to come off the bench and not start as a point guard.

But the guys bagging on Jimmer are intimating that he's much closer to being out of the league in 3-years than he is to even being a decent role player.


Good point. And will he be at least as effective as Kyle Korver? I would say, very probable.

Which in this draft, makes him a probable lottery pick.
G
Guest
So what exactly is it about Jimmer that makes him an atypical PG for the NBA. Is it his height, his agility, his shooting percentage, his assist-to-turnover ratio, his defense? Please elaborate.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
So what exactly is it about Jimmer that makes him an atypical PG for the NBA. Is it his height, his agility, his shooting percentage, his assist-to-turnover ratio, his defense? Please elaborate.


Well, I guess the guys bagging on him would say, if they were pinned down and put on truth serum to answer the same question, His inferior skin color, his inferior (non-BCS) university, and the "over-rated-ness" by some---which ultimately in my mind comes down to those who believe in The Jimmer and those who dont. Sounds pretty atypical to me. Which makes him if anything an "atypical" lottery pick more than an atypical PG.

As for me, I believe. But if I were to compare, i'd put my money on Irving. NOt sure sure i'd put my money on Jimmer being a Star in the NBA. Just a matter of probability. I give him a 1 in 3 chance of being a star--which are pretty high odds. Further, I would say he has a higher chance of succeeding than flaming out, for whatever that is worth.

Jimmer did best when he got to take over the game. Will someone really turn over the reigns of their team to the Jimmer. So again, it comes down to whether or not someone believes and gives him the reigns after a few years of experience.

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry, thats all I got. May not pass the test. Good question Hawk. I think its central to The Jimmer Equation who gambles and who doesnt come thursday night.
G
Guest
dmcougar wrote:
So what exactly is it about Jimmer that makes him an atypical PG for the NBA. Is it his height, his agility, his shooting percentage, his assist-to-turnover ratio, his defense? Please elaborate.


Well, I guess the guys bagging on him would say, if they were pinned down and put on truth serum to answer the same question, His inferior skin color, his inferior (non-BCS) university, and the "over-rated-ness" by some---which ultimately in my mind comes down to those who believe in The Jimmer and those who dont. Sounds pretty atypical to me. Which makes him if anything an "atypical" lottery pick more than an atypical PG.

As for me, I believe. But if I were to compare, i'd put my money on Irving. NOt sure sure i'd put my money on Jimmer being a Star in the NBA. Just a matter of probability. I give him a 1 in 3 chance of being a star--which are pretty high odds. Further, I would say he has a higher chance of succeeding than flaming out, for whatever that is worth.

Jimmer did best when he got to take over the game. Will someone really turn over the reigns of their team to the Jimmer. So again, it comes down to whether or not someone believes and gives him the reigns after a few years of experience.

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry, thats all I got. May not pass the test. Good question Hawk. I think its central to The Jimmer Equation who gambles and who doesnt come thursday night.


Thanks for the answer.
G
Gunk
I don't expect Jimmer to be an All-star. Not bagging on the kid, I just don't expect him to be one. If he does end up an All-Star, great. Not that he isn't talented or won't have a good career, I just don't see him on the scale as All-Stars.



What I do legitimately expect is for Jimmer to go on and have a solid NBA career. When was the last time we had a player from BYU make it 10+ years in the NBA? Sean Bradley, I think was the last one. My guess is he'll spend the first few years coming off the bench. He'll have a season or three where he'll start and then he'll be coming off the bench again. There will likely be plenty of heroics and highlights of Jimmer as he's a game changer, but other than the 3-point shooting contest we don't see him at the All-Stars.



The critics all point to Jimmer's defense and lack of "athleticism." My guess is these guys have never seen Jimmer play and certainly didn't bother to look up his stats for the combine. Rather than do actual reporting, they just go off of what they heard and what someone else said.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I was just listening to the radio on my way home from the gym and Brad Rock was the guest. He said "if you're the Jazz, don't take Jimmer at #12, because these other guys in the draft can practice their shooting, they can work on that, AND they can play defense." So, what he's saying is that you can practice shooting, but you can't practice defense, moron.
G
Guest
I think Brad Rock's bosses told him he needed to get his viewership up or he was going to be fired, because honestly, until the last few months nobody ever paid any attention to him. But now he's coming out hard against everything BYU in an attempt to get his name out there.
B
blue42
Schmoe wrote:
I was just listening to the radio on my way home from the gym and Brad Rock was the guest. Hother guys in the draft can practice their shooting,e said "if you're the Jazz, don't take Jimmer at #12, because these they can work on that, AND they can play defense." So, what he's saying is that you can practice shooting, but you can't practice defense, moron.


Yes this obviously worked so well with Shaq's free throw shooting, or Barkley's golf swing!!
S
Schmoe
Jimmer in the draft was the first subject on Around the Horn, and Woody Paige, whom I hate, actually gave Jimmer pretty good props. JJ Adande and Bob Ryan were also pretty optimistic about him, but Bomani Jones said "he's not even 6'1" and has some serious limitations to his game..." Should I still be surprised that some people haven't seen The Jimmer? I thought the whole world knew he could play.
B
blue42
Schmoe wrote:
Jimmer in the draft was the first subject on Around the Horn, and Woody Paige, whom I hate, actually gave Jimmer pretty good props. JJ Adande and Bob Ryan were also pretty optimistic about him, but Bomani Jones said "he's not even 6'1" and has some serious limitations to his game..." Should I still be surprised that some people haven't seen The Jimmer? I thought the whole world knew he could play.


And we all know what his limitations are...... he doesn't have any NBA worthy tattoos!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.