Archived Topic

Mavs Blue-out = Fantastic

by redneckjedi · 6/10/2011

Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
I know this is the football forum, but the blue-out the Mavs put on looked awesome, and showed that yes, you CAN do it with blue. It's definitely easier with royal blue (which we should have STAYED with!), but it can be done as long as the fans are united about it. It's not the color - it's the unity.



/rant
B
BroncoBot
Amen to "should have kept royal". I still hate that BYU chose to change colors, and that those colors were currently used by another university in Utah.
C
crazycougar84601
What do you guys think it would take to get a Blue or a White out done? I'm sure lots of $$ to produce 65,000 t-shirts. Would we have to get in contact with the marketing dept? I'd love to help where I can to get it done. I'd think it be really cool to have a shirt with a oval Y on front and the sponsers on back who helped make it happen, a cougar corner logo on there would be great too!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
AmmonCougar1
crazycougar84601 wrote:
What do you guys think it would take to get a Blue or a White out done? I'm sure lots of $$ to produce 65,000 t-shirts. Would we have to get in contact with the marketing dept? I'd love to help where I can to get it done. I'd think it be really cool to have a shirt with a oval Y on front and the sponsers on back who helped make it happen, a cougar corner logo on there would be great too!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Two things: Having been to the "____-out" games (fill in the color) in the NBA, the T-shirts are usually only given to those who will be seen on TV cameras (ie. lower bowl) Second thing, I would rather pay an extra $5 per ticket, per game and have a shirt sitting on my seat when I arrived. To me that is the only way you are going to get every BYU fan in the stadium in the same color. And that will only work for the pleasant weather games. After that we would need ponchos or really large shirts that go over our coats!



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
R
redneckjedi
crazycougar84601 wrote:
What do you guys think it would take to get a Blue or a White out done? I'm sure lots of $$ to produce 65,000 t-shirts. Would we have to get in contact with the marketing dept? I'd love to help where I can to get it done. I'd think it be really cool to have a shirt with a oval Y on front and the sponsers on back who helped make it happen, a cougar corner logo on there would be great too!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Well, they sell the quasi-official football season t-shirt every season at the bookstore for $5. They may be taking a loss on those, but assuming they aren't, that would be $325,000 / game, or just under $2.3 million for the entire season if you gave a new shirt to every person in attendance for each of the 7 home games. That's a lot. However, if you just give out one with every season ticket (about 40,000), and then a new one to everyone that showed up without one (max of about 25,000 * 7 = 175,000), you'd be doing about 215,000 * $5 = $375,000, which seems entirely doable with the new ESPN money and a 7th home game's ticket revenue (any idea how much that is? I mean, at student ticket prices for a sell out, that'd be close to $1 million, and I know there are much more expensive tickets in that stadium...).



We did something like this for the '06 season when we were on CougarBlue, and got thousands of white towels made up for everyone to wave. It looked awesome, but without the AD behind us, it didn't catch on long term. They really needed to take that ball and run with it, but didn't. Also, the deluge at the Tulsa game made a lot of people ditch their towels and they got ruined on the wet stadium floor...



Anyway, I think your best bet is to include a nice-looking shirt with each set of season tickets, with explicit instructions to wear that shirt. You would have had to have done it as people were renewing tickets so that you could get sizing information. Then, you'd have to have crappier shirts to give out to people at the gate if they didn't have the season ticket shirt. If it wasn't crappier, you know people like Airwolf are just going to leave theirs at home so they can get a new one. Trying to do that at the gate is a big logistics headache, but it could work if the AD gets behind it and the cost is reasonable.
Advertisement
C
crazycougar84601
It would def have to be an early season game like UCF this year



As far as costs I was thinking one time deal. That's all I think a bunch of volunteers could handle. After that ppl might wear the shirts to every game until the weather changed.



I think another way to handle the sizing is to put x numbers of different sized shirts at each portal. That way fans can get a spefic sized shirt at the portal and not have a crowd at the gates. It would cost more money because you would have more than 65000 shirts. You would also have a bunch of extras cosmo could launch into the stands or something



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
And yet, even with the royal blue out, the guys in white still popped and stood out. White is the way to go.
W
Wickchad
Just move the people at the testing center that make sure students have shaved and have appropriate attire to the stadium gates. Anyone not wearing blue will be instructed to return home and try again unless they are there representing the visiting team.
G
Guest
A couple of points.



The crowds have gotten much better about wearing blue over the last 5 or 6 years. MUCH better. The biggest problem is that anyone wearing a color other than blue/black is going to really pop out against that sea of blue (even the lighter royal blue).



I've been to games where they were handing out free blue byu t-shirts, I think they had Apex or NuSkin logos on the back. People took the shirts but most didn't put them on, and the guy showing up in an orange shirt doesn't care, even if you do give him a blue shirt.
R
redneckjedi
Yep. The biggest problem is not the unavailability of blue shirts, but the lack of education of those that need to wear them. I think one issue is that tickets are easy enough to get that anybody with even a passing interest can get them, as opposed to some of the other places where you either have to shell out big bucks or win a lottery. When it takes real effort to get tickets, a greater percentage of those in attendance will be the hardcore fans, and therefore know when to yell, when to shut up, what to wear, etc. And there's only a handful of programs that actually have enough fans near enough to their stadium where the demand vs. supply of tickets justify raising the barriers (price, availability) to that kind of level. I know we're definitely not there yet, but since my freshman year (2001) we have made huge strides as far as fan etiquette goes. Exposure will help, I think. Word of mouth will, as well. Imagine it like you're back on your mission - go forth, and be bold! It's a lot easier to sell the wearing of a blue t-shirt than the word of wisdom or the law of chastity. ;)
Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
Free hot dog if you wear blue. call it the Airwolf Special. ;)



sell the quasi-official $5 T with 7 home game coupons. If you wear the shirt visibly, you get a free hot dog (or popcorn or something with a decent profit margin)



I always buy a 2XL shirt (it runs me $10) so I can wear it over a sweatshirt in the cold. But I'm hard core :evil:
S
SpiffCoug
redneckjedi wrote:
Yep. The biggest problem is not the unavailability of blue shirts, but the lack of education of those that need to wear them. I think one issue is that tickets are easy enough to get that anybody with even a passing interest can get them, as opposed to some of the other places where you either have to shell out big bucks or win a lottery. When it takes real effort to get tickets, a greater percentage of those in attendance will be the hardcore fans, and therefore know when to yell, when to shut up, what to wear, etc. And there's only a handful of programs that actually have enough fans near enough to their stadium where the demand vs. supply of tickets justify raising the barriers (price, availability) to that kind of level. I know we're definitely not there yet, but since my freshman year (2001) we have made huge strides as far as fan etiquette goes. Exposure will help, I think. Word of mouth will, as well. Imagine it like you're back on your mission - go forth, and be bold! It's a lot easier to sell the wearing of a blue t-shirt than the word of wisdom or the law of chastity. ;)

You don't think fans know what color to wear? You think that someone going to a BYU game and thinks orange is an acceptable color is simply going to wear blue if someone simply explains it to him?



I'll trade cheaper tickets for a few more colors in the stands. Does the color of the fans' shirt help determine the outcome of the game? Sure a sea of white or green or blue or purple or perrywinkle looks great, but it doesn't matter. Fans have VERY little impact on the game.
R
redneckjedi
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yep. The biggest problem is not the unavailability of blue shirts, but the lack of education of those that need to wear them. I think one issue is that tickets are easy enough to get that anybody with even a passing interest can get them, as opposed to some of the other places where you either have to shell out big bucks or win a lottery. When it takes real effort to get tickets, a greater percentage of those in attendance will be the hardcore fans, and therefore know when to yell, when to shut up, what to wear, etc. And there's only a handful of programs that actually have enough fans near enough to their stadium where the demand vs. supply of tickets justify raising the barriers (price, availability) to that kind of level. I know we're definitely not there yet, but since my freshman year (2001) we have made huge strides as far as fan etiquette goes. Exposure will help, I think. Word of mouth will, as well. Imagine it like you're back on your mission - go forth, and be bold! It's a lot easier to sell the wearing of a blue t-shirt than the word of wisdom or the law of chastity. ;)

You don't think fans know what color to wear? You think that someone going to a BYU game and thinks orange is an acceptable color is simply going to wear blue if someone simply explains it to him?



I'll trade cheaper tickets for a few more colors in the stands. Does the color of the fans' shirt help determine the outcome of the game? Sure a sea of white or green or blue or purple or perrywinkle looks great, but it doesn't matter. Fans have VERY little impact on the game.


I really think a lot of them don't - especially those that go more as a social activity. Talking about it like a mission was mostly TIC. But I've had friends who would go in whatever they were wearing, until someone was like, "Hey, we should all wear blue." Then they did, no problem.



Personally, I love that tickets are cheap and accessible. I merely use the cost and inaccessibility of tickets of other schools as a potential explanation for why their fan base appears more unified/rabid/whatever than ours might. There are cultural differences as well that contribute to that, not the least of which being that we've only been consistently winning for a generation or so, and places like Michigan and Notre Dame have been doing it for a century. That builds brand loyalty, which probably results in more people wearing your stuff in general, including to games.



Do I believe it has an impact on the game? No, not really. It's more an impact on the fans' experience. I think the biggest impact fans have is through audible noise and its ability to charge up the players, mostly the defense, and possibly result in a false start on the opposing offense once in a while. It's not a huge impact, but its something. Against Utah in '05 the roar was deafening in the 4th and caused 3 consecutive false starts, setting up a 3rd and 20+. Unfortunately they threw a TD to take the lead, so it was a wash, but it forced them into a low-percentage desperation play instead of an easier play with several 1st down options.



Anyway, I like blue. I like royal blue especially. I like how it looked last night. I'm ambivalent about its "poppiness" as compared to other colors. I would also feel weird if I were cheering for the home team while wearing the visitor's jersey color. I thought I'd share. Thanks.
W
Wickchad
redneckjedi wrote:
I would also feel weird if I were cheering for the home team while wearing the visitor's jersey color. I thought I'd share. Thanks.


I seem to remember back in the first or second year that Bronco was coach we did a white-out for the Utah State game. If I am not mistaken we wore white jerseys at home that game and they asked the fans to dress in white as well. Does anyone remember if the team wore white that game? Also it definitely has more of an impact doing a white out or a black out for a night game under the lights. Black out at noon = :utard:
S
SpiffCoug
BYU wears white at home in bball
Advertisement
G
Guest
The team wore Blue, but the fans wore white. It was very successful.
BYU-UtahSt-2006002.jpg
BYU-UtahSt-2006068.jpg
Y
Yndian
On a related note, I read something t-shirt-related in an old Ensign today that everyone needs to take to heart:


Elaine S. Dalton wrote:
First of all, never wear a big red shirt with the word Utah printed on it.


It's in the Ensign, so I'm pretty sure it's scripture.
C
Cougs_Rule
This remains as a huge pet peave. BYU fans, on the whole, are pathetic when it comes to wearing blue. It drives me crazy. Just wear blue, you freakin......... And the west stands are about the worst. There is almost more blue hair present than blue apparel.

BYU admin is as much to blame as anybody else, switching colors, logos, ITS A JOKE and a silly money grab that hasnt worked that well. No wonder Mormons, like the children of Israel in the desert, need a prophet--they wander and get lost without their shepherd.

Go to a UTexas game or OK game or any in the Big 12 and you get how much there color means to them. I see one more pink BYU shirt on an adult at a game and I'm going to start spewing on it. Wear blue (or white if its a white out) or stay home.

Thanks for the pictures Hawk. The white out is better/more effective than the alternative of 20 shades of blue with multiple cougar logos.

MAVS blue might be a nice, non-Air force, non Aggie blue. Oh wait, heres an idea, go back to Royal (Stand-out) Blue since we dont play against AF every year. But alas, more wandering and more lame fans.
S
Schmoe
I think part of the problem is that the BYU student body is made up of a lot of kids who didn't necessarily grow up rooting for BYU, but go there now because they're LDS. So they haven't grown up wearing BYU gear/don't have it, whereas most other schools get a ton of local who have grown up right around the team and have always worn Iowa (or whatever) gear.



I dunno, it's still just a terrible excuse, not to mention the blue hairs, and the dumb kids in the student section who don't know the difference between soccer and football or who think it's like sacrament meeting.
Y
YBrit
BYU officially needs to get behind it if they are serious. Fans can't be expected to do it all on their own (as we've learned)



Once the lame BYU bookstore advertises with BYU athletics and officials, unity will take off.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.