Archived Topic

2012 - Jamaal Williams -- VERBAL

by jvquarterback · 6/7/2011

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflYMuw1M9E&feature=player_detailpage



Height: 6'1

Weight: 185

40: 4.5

Shuttle: 4.31

Vert: 32"

GPA: 3.4

SAT/ACT: 1230
B
BroncoBot
Reminds me of Unga. Not great breakaway speed, but a solid downhill runner.
C
cougarblue333
Some poor little safety 30 seconds into the video is looking for some missing body parts.
U
Ungoy
There are a couple of players looking for missing parts after that play...
W
Wickchad
That's a great video for the fans. I'd like to see them add some highlights of his blitz pick ups. I know that would be boring but it'd be nice to see if he could actually stay on the field when it came time to pass.



It looked like they had him lining up at linebacker and DE on some of those plays. I'd be more excited to see him as a running back though.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
cougarblue333 wrote:
Some poor little safety 30 seconds into the video is looking for some missing body parts.


Reminds me of the time I got hit by Coats in HS. It was from the side though and he used just his arm.
B
byucougar1
Some key comments from the Brandon Gurney interview with Jamaal.



His mother ran track at UCLA and feels that her alma mater has nothing on BYU.



Jamaal Williams is Baptist that has a lot of values and was really impressed with BYU. He said BYU is the first school he has visited and BYU set the bar really high. He said he will compare every school he visits to BYU because he enjoyed it so much, especially the standards.



He also was forwarned about a question that Bronco seems to ask every recruit.



"Before I went into his office, everybody was saying Coach Mendenhall would ask me, 'Why do you want to come to BYU?' I was just waiting for that one question for him to ask me, but he never asked me it! At the end of the visit we began to walk out. I stopped and said, "Coach Mendenhall, wait! You forgot to ask me one more question.' He was like, 'What question is that?' The question you forgot to ask me is, 'Why do I want to come to BYU?' He says, 'Okay Jamaal, why do you want to come to BYU?'"



Williams then gave a heartfelt explanation of why he could easily become a part of Coach Mendenhall's program, and why he would want to come to BYU."



Sounds like we have a class kid and one who sees/embraces the Y for what it stands for and can offer him in his development as a player and student.
R
redneckjedi
I think this video is the first time I've actually seen video of a team running plays out of a double wing set - interesting to watch. Looks like a pretty diverse offense - they had the double wing, the pistol, and a whole bunch of shotgun draw plays. The pistol seemed especially suited to him. He's a downhill runner and being able to hit the line straight on at full speed was great for him.
G
Guest
This video and many more like it are available in the Recruiting forum. Make sure you check it out once in awhile.
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
This video and many more like it are available in the Recruiting forum. Make sure you check it out once in awhile.


Copy that!!!! Will do.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
'Name rolls off the tongue pretty easily. Kind of like a fairly good RB we had a few years ago. ;) 8)
B
byucougar1
Talo Steves article about his trip to Boise State can be found at:



http://byu.scout.com/2/1081460.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Interesting comments:



"It (Boise State) didn't really reach the same expectations as BYU," Williams said. "One feels like a little camp and the other feels like a big-time program. The people were really kind at BYU. They would say hi to you even though they don't really know you."



"The only thing that is different is there are things I can't really explain but can just feel, so most of what I think comes from the feeling I get," Williams said. "Boise State was a little more the uniforms and gloves and accessories they have, but I just really have feelings for the BYU aspect and how they look at things. Boise State doesn't really match up with some of the simple things that matter. They're number two behind BYU right now."



"I just loved BYU and the standards and expectations. I especially love the honor code. I've been asking other coaches from different schools about their honor code. Most of them just tell me they don't have it. Most don't really care about an honor code."
L
Lawboy
Utah just offered him.
U
urroner
Lawboy wrote:
Utah just offered him.


Apparently he has offered BYU. I'll go for that.
G
Guest
Very very happy to see this kid commit to BYU. He could be a very fun part of the offense in coming years.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
He just commited to the Y according to BYU.scout. Nice get will be a solid back. - good north - south runner - delivers punishment.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Nice article in DSB that refers to him as an intimidator who punishes DBs/Safeties when being tackled and doesn't go down easily with arm tackles or lakadasical tackling. Should be a nice replacement for Kariya on third down and short (picks up tough yardage).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
High School Head Coach Tony Barile of Fontana, California mentioned that Jamaal Williams is now “finding his speed” and is having an amazing track performance this year. Barile also noted that Willams is currently about a half second behind the best time in the state this year.
B
byucougar1
http://byu.scout.com/2/1178676.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



He ran an 11.0 / 100 meters - has some serious speed coupled with power. I hope this translates into something great on the field.
J
jvquarterback
His dad is 6'5". I wonder how tall he will get. He might need to transition to WR if he gets much taller.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.