Archived Topic

Poll: Best Ever BYU "Slash"-back

by snoscythe · 6/2/2011

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Cast your vote and state your case for the best ever slashback at BYU. The top vote-getter will be enshrined in the CougarCorner All-Time BYU Team.



Here's the nomination thread--continue any debate, baby kissing, etc. in this poll thread.



viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8718
N
nuk13
Kelly Smith caught the last td in the 84 championship. I wish I could remember his stats but he was great in spite of only being about 5'10" and 175lbs. I believe his team mate was Via Sikahima who may also have qualified but if you have returners he be hard to beat there. I'm glad someone mentioned Scott Phillips but I'd still vote for Smith.
G
Guest
Kelly Smith

Rushing Receiving Total
OFFENSE No. Yds. TD No. Yds. TD TD
1984 50 347 5 46 598 6 11
1985 24 61 0 49 530 2 2
Career 74 408 5 95 1,128 8 13

* Stats courtesy of CougarStats.com



The stats also don't list Bowl stats, as they were not included in the official stats prior to 2002.



1984 had 3 rushes for 7 yards. 10 receptions for 88 yards and 1 TD.
G
Guest
Matt Bellini




 		 Rushing	     	|Receiving	  Total
No. Yds. TD |No. Yds. TD TD
1987 18 48 0 |51 548 3 3
1988 98 488 7 |51 786 4 11
1989 90 389 6 |43 700 6 12
1990 8 6 1 |59 601 2 3
Career 206 925 13 |204 2,635 15 2

* Stats courtesy of CougarStats.com



Career stats are listed wrong (don't seem to include 1990)

should be: 206, 931, 14, 204, 2635, 15, 29



The stats also don't list Bowl stats, as they were not included in the official stats prior to 2002.



1987 rushed 1 time for 7 yards. Had 9 receptions for 59 yards.

1988 rushed 8 times for 78 yards. 4 receptions for 41 yards.

1989 10 receptions for 124 yards.

1990, 1 reception for 19 yards.
T
trueblue72
Hawk checked three other sites and they all said that Bellini's career receiving stats are 204 and 2635. Also I think he had more than 8 carries his senior year. I was young but if my memory serves me correctly he had almost that many carries on draw traps and draw counters against Miami.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
trueblue72 wrote:
Hawk checked three other sites and they all said that Bellini's career receiving stats are 204 and 2635. Also I think he had more than 8 carries his senior year. I was young but if my memory serves me correctly he had almost that many carries on draw traps and draw counters against Miami.


The receiving stats are 100% correct.



Bellini set BYU records with 204 career receptions and 2635 yards receiving.



I find the 8 carries odd as well, but I can't find anywhere else to confirm or deny that Bellini only carrried the ball 8 times as a senior.



Cougarstats.com is a great reference, and I know the owner/operators try hard and have good intentions, but there are plenty of errors. In fact, just today I was looking at Brandon Doman's rushing stats for 2001. One page lists Doman as having 503 rushing yards that year.

http://www.cougarstats.com/lists/qbrushingseason.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



And three other pages only credit Doman with 456 yards

http://www.cougarstats.com/lists/rushingseason.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #59)

http://www.cougarstats.com/players/d/domanbrandon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cougarstats.com/2001.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I had to go to Sports Refernce to verify it was only 456 yards.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brandon-doman-1/gamelog/2001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
N
nuk13
Thanks for the stats Hawk.
G
Guest
trueblue72 wrote:
Hawk checked three other sites and they all said that Bellini's career receiving stats are 204 and 2635. Also I think he had more than 8 carries his senior year. I was young but if my memory serves me correctly he had almost that many carries on draw traps and draw counters against Miami.


Yes, I noticed that the Career Receiving stats were added up correctly, but the rushing stats were not including his senior year (of course the # being at 8 seems really fishy). So I had added the senior year stats to the overall total, correctly for rushing, incorrectly for receiving. I have now corrected my "corrected" stats line.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.