Archived Topic

Junior Day is Friday

by Lawboy · 5/31/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Nice write up from Brandon Gurney on Junior Day. I suspect we will learn of some offers and commits early next week. I also think we might learn some scheduling on Thursday or Friday morning as well, to coincide with recruiting efforts. Nothing like being able to tell recruits about scheduled games and places to travel to get them pumped to sign.



http://www.ksl.com/?sid=15774048&nid=878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J
jvquarterback
Excited about this. I hope we end up with some great guys on Friday.
S
SpiffCoug
Junior Day is almost as important at BYU as Signing Day.
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
Junior Day is almost as important at BYU as Signing Day.


Oh yeah!! This is an exciting & important weekend. I'm hoping for some exciting news next week about some great - great - great, verbal commits. I get pumped up for Junior Day every year.

8)
J
jonnylingo
In terms of exciting off season days, this is about as good as it gets aside from spring and fall practice reports.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
jonnylingo wrote:
In terms of exciting off season days, this is about as good as it gets aside from spring and fall practice reports.




Yep!! Bam!
L
Lawboy
Junior Day Wish List:



Troy Hinds

Atuma Ah-Ching

Butch Pua'u

Hiva Lutui





Get those 4, and I would be pumped for this class.
J
jvquarterback
Hiva Litui hasn't even been offered. I'd love to see both Litui and Fanaika get offers and commit though.



I'd really like to know if Russel Hansbrough or Brandon Marshall are going to be there and I'd be really excited if Dupaix can close the deal with one of them. I also hope he's on the phone with Kelvin York now that USC's ban has been upheld.
L
Lawboy
Lutui and Fanaika have not been offered because Bronco has a policy now to not offer a kid until/unless they can realistically see him personally in camp, with a couple exceptions. Bronco has said that they have not missed on a kid they offered who they had in camp, so they are trying to stick to that model when possible. Both are coming for Junior Day, so I suspect both will have offers by Saturday.



Rumor is Fanaika is leaning Stanford, and Lutui towards BYU, but you never know with these things. I would love to get one of them, but getting both would be a real coup.
B
BigCougsFan
I would be shocked it we get Troy Hinds



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
Egerten
Hi Lawboy,

I am excited about junior day as I have made it on time.

Joined this forum few days before and I am expecting some exciting news on Friday.
E
EM_Puma
Lawboy wrote:
Junior Day Wish List:



Troy Hinds

Atuma Ah-Ching

Butch Pua'u

Hiva Lutui





Get those 4, and I would be pumped for this class.


I'm not that close into recruiting as I once was, but I have read some reports that Ah-ching has not progressed to the same level that they suspected he would when they offered him awhile back. I'll take at least one of the other three to commit, but I don't know. Getting Hinds would be a coup.
J
jvquarterback
How do you guys know who is supposed to be coming to junior day? Does anyone have a list?
L
Lawboy
jv,



the recruiting forums like scout and rivals often have articles that state where kids will camp in the summer etc, so generally get the info from there. Or from other message boards. Brandon Gurney tends to be a good resource for info on BYU camps as well, and who is coming.
D
Ddawg
BigCougsFan wrote:
I would be shocked it we get Troy Hinds



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes - he has the Universe after him. That kind of recruiting attention usually swells the head, constricts the blood flow to the brain & results in a poor "ego driven" decision. I hope he gets through it & picks the Cougs. Junior Day can have a huge impact on a young man - Bronco can work his magic in his office. Keeping my fingers crossed for a superb weekend!!!

8)
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Note that we have players attending the Jr. Day camp that have either already committed and are bringing friends that they hope to commit (Alta's Rhett Sandlin) or friends that are hoping to play at the Y together and make decision to commit in tandem - Greer HS Atamu Ah Ching and Servite HS Buthc Pauu.



We do know that players such as Brayden Kearsley, Brandon Fnaika, Hunter Dimick, Sam Pearce, Jeremiah Valoaga have indicated that they are expecting scholarship offers and will commit if extended.
B
beauso79
BigCougsFan wrote:
I would be shocked it we get Troy Hinds



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hope he's not in the Jabari Parker camp where he's bitter we didn't offer his brother
J
jonnylingo
beauso79 wrote:
I would be shocked it we get Troy Hinds



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hope he's not in the Jabari Parker camp where he's bitter we didn't offer his brother


I won't. I think we are a frontfrunner at this point with him.
C
craigoscarson
byucougar1 wrote:
Note that we have players attending the Jr. Day camp that have either already committed and are bringing friends that they hope to commit (Alta's Rhett Sandlin) or friends that are hoping to play at the Y together and make decision to commit in tandem - Greer HS Atamu Ah Ching and Servite HS Buthc Pauu.



We do know that players such as Brayden Kearsley, Brandon Fnaika, Hunter Dimick, Sam Pearce, Jeremiah Valoaga have indicated that they are expecting scholarship offers and will commit if extended.


I mentioned this before but I think that BYU has gotten luke-warm on a few guys that they had offered last year and hadn't received an answer from yet.



In the past, guys like Bryson McKenzie lost their scholarship offer because #1 They didn't seem committed to BYU when they originally got their offer #2 They turned off the BYU coaching staff for one reason or another. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying it happens.



BYU backed off Tigi Hill, VJ Fehoko, and others that played the field and didn't improve enough over the summer of their jr-sr years.



If a kid really really wants a BYU offer and might have fallen off BYUs radar, they really need to be in camp and impress them at junior day, BYU camp, and all-poly.



What we're finding with Bronco, is that he doesn't miss much. Even with 2 star guys like Jordan Johnson, Cody Hoffman, etc., he gets athletes that play great football and get on the field early in their careers. The guys that he does bring in are good football players and have earned the right to hold a coveted BYU scholarship.



I've never bought in to much of Brandon Gurneys reports because often they've conflicted with what I was told by those closer to the story. Kids and familes tell Brandon one thing, do another, and the coaching staff has even a different take. I would be very careful though if I were a kid/family about what I said to a recruiting reporter though; it's impossible to take it back once it's been printed and that stuff gets back to the recruiters. BYU won't and doesn't play a lot of the games other colleges do. They don't stroke the egos of a thousand kids and string them along; but they also expect many kids to recruit BYU and much as BYU recruits them. That turns off some families and players, but it's the BYU way and with Bronco it's worked for the most part.



In light of BYUs new national exposure and relationship with ESPN, they're going to get crushed with a lot more recruits that want a BYU offer. It's going to get harder and harder to have a BYU football scholarship.
L
Lawboy
Sounds like some commits are starting to roll in. First commit is Austin Hoyt, an O-line prospect from CA.



Kid is 6'6", 240, so has some meat to put on. Had offers from AFA and Utah, and looks from other PAC-12 schools. NR, but sounds like the recent typical BYU lineman--tall and mobile.



http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5406933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.