Archived Topic

Top 20 football helmets

by BigCougsFan · 5/24/2011

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
They have BYU at 19.
The ‘Y’ on the helmets represents one of BYU’s landmarks, “Y Mountain,” which has the large letter looming over the campus. More than anything, though, it’s a representation of BYU football past and present; that’s why the school went back to future in 2005, scrapping their disastrous new uniforms for a taste of the past. Head coach Bronco Mendenhall said it best: “This is about honoring tradition. This is about respect for and accountability to the coaches and players who have made BYU one of the national pillars of college football.” If they went back to the lighter shade of blue and got rid of the ugly helmet stickers, these lids would be even higher.


http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/feature_heavy_hitters_college_footballs_top_20_best_helmets/4757668



Agree or disagree? There were a few helmets I thought we have a better look to.
S
Schmoe
Disagree with several of them:



Penn St. -- if it were the whole uni, sure, but just the helmet, nah.



Hawaii -- Wah??



Nebraska -- Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems too "meh" to me.
Y
YBrit
Schmoe wrote:
Disagree with several of them:



Penn St. -- if it were the whole uni, sure, but just the helmet, nah.



Hawaii -- Wah??



Nebraska -- Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems too "meh" to me.




Nebraska's sucks, especially the font. I agree with only a few of his, but the Y is certainly, and unbiasly awesome!





In all fairness Utah made SIs top 10 worst helmets!
A
ABYUFAN
Ummm... Likes the helmets because of the tradition aspect but doesn't like the "ugly stickers"? This guy needs to take a peak at pics of Mcmahon, Young or Detmer to see their helmets around Bowl time



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
I agree with Michigan being #1. It's a great design - very recognizeable.



But - I disagree that Nebraska, Tennessee & Penn St., & Alabama are ahead of BYU!

Nebraska is a plain old "N".

Alabama - numbers? Blaseeeee ......

Penn St. - Blahhhhh non-design.

Tennessee - that ugly oversized "T".



Oh well - an opinion piece & my opinion differs.
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
I actually agree with his top 5 and the order. I like that BYU is on the list. What other lids should be on it instead of some that are? I think Ucla's helmet is a classic look and deserved consideration. I'm not a fan of LSU's helmet at all. Hawaii's helmet is an eyesore. I'd rather see Arizona on the list instead of Nebraska.
C
Cougarfan87
BYU's helmet is the best (especially the white with royal blue version I have sitting in my office). But I'm not biased or anything.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.