Archived Topic

More mess for the BCS

by Screamineagle · 5/16/2011

Advertisement
S
Screamineagle
I was thinking the other day about the BCS and the Cougars access to it and had a couple thoughts. I know these are all longshots but still interesting and more trouble for the BCS.



1.It would be fun as much as I dont like Utah to have an undefeated BYU and one loss Utah playing for the National Championship or any other BCS game for that matter.To get to beat the Utes twice in the same season there is some upside to them going to the Pac 10+2.



2.If the cards all fell just right(after next season) couldnt they have BYU,TCU,Boise State and the Utes all in BCS games in the same season?



I know these are all long shots but not like when BYU,TCU and the Utes all were in the same conference seems ironic to me any thoughts?
Y
Y12
#2 would be epic. A playoff would follow very, very quickly.



Only problem, doesn't Boise State play BYU (and possibley Utah) in 2012?
S
Screamineagle
Y12 wrote:
#2 would be epic. A playoff would follow very, very quickly.



Only problem, doesn't Boise State play BYU (and possibley Utah) in 2012?


I was just looking at the overall big picture you are right some seasons it would not be possible because they play each other.But the seasons that it was possible it would be pretty fun to watch the BCS squirm.
M
Mingjai
Y12 wrote:
#2 would be epic. A playoff would follow very, very quickly.



Only problem, doesn't Boise State play BYU (and possibley Utah) in 2012?


If the MWC somehow gains auto access to the BCS, then BSU playing BYU and Utah wouldn't matter as long as BYU beats BSU and Utah those two go on to win their respective conferences.
S
stuckinbig10country
I think that since ESPN owns the rights to the BCS and BYU is in a contract with ESPN, I think we could see some 1 loss BYU teams in the mix for the BCS, especially if there is a spot open in the Fiesta bowl to be had.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I think that since ESPN owns the rights to the BCS and BYU is in a contract with ESPN, I think we could see some 1 loss BYU teams in the mix for the BCS, especially if there is a spot open in the Fiesta bowl to be had.


I would like to see 1 loss BYU teams, but that's another thread for another day.



Bottom line, ESPN doesn't have much influence over BCS bowl selections anyway. Look who played in the 2008 Rose Bowl which was broadcast by ABC (same company as ESPN). The Rose Bowl had the first "at-large" selection because they lost BCS #1 team Ohio State to the BCS championship game. They chose #13 Illinois over #5 Georgia, #6 Missouri, #8 Kansas, #9 West Virginia, #10 Hawaii, and #12 Florida. It was a move to keep their Big 10 partner happy. It certainly wasn't the most marketable tv matchup for the traditionally most watched bowl game in the country.



ESPN has a much bigger investment with the Pac-10, Big 10, SEC, ACC, and Big 12 than they do with BYU. So even if ESPN had some sway with the BCS, BYU is still sitting in the back of the bus when it comes to ESPN priority.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.