Archived Topic

Mike Shanahan on John Beck

by snoscythe · 5/2/2011

Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Very complimentary. Good read. I'm ready for August. 8)
T
trueblue72
With mcnabb playing so poorly and no one else on The roster it is beck's job to lose. The whole Miami debacle doesn't reflect what his abilities are nor did it reflect what he is capable of. With shannahan's more vertical version of the west coast offense I think beck finally has a system that fits him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
The only concern I have with Beck and the only reason I still have doubts that he will be an effective QB in the NFL is his conservative nature. If he can come out, make his reads and fire the ball where he is supposed to using his arm strenghth he will be great. If he tries to wait until his recievers are open (his conservative nature), he is going to get pummelled and will not be effective. I still think he has all the talent, brains, and work ethic to be very successful in the NFL though so I hope to see it happen in Washington.
S
stuckinbig10country
He was held back by the offensive play calling in Miami. It was run-run-run-punt or run-run-pass with max protect and one option-punt. Cam Cameron was just being beligerent during the time that he had John Beck play. He was forced to play him by management even though he wanted to hold him out the whole year.



The Shannahan offense is really awesome for Beck's talents. A lot of play action, roll outs, and requires good reads by the QB, which is his strength. The offense also puts a lot of pressure on LBs to cover skill players in space.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Beck, like Max Hall, has shown a huge propensity for turning the ball over. If he does not fix that, he will get benched. Rule #1 in the NFL is to not turn it over. I think Shanahan can really help him with that though.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Beck, like Max Hall, has shown a huge propensity for turning the ball over. If he does not fix that, he will get benched. Rule #1 in the NFL is to not turn it over. I think Shanahan can really help him with that though.


I don't. for some reason i have little faith that john beck will be able to keep a starting spot in the nfl. i don't think he has it. just an relatively uninformed opinion though.
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
Beck, like Max Hall, has shown a huge propensity for turning the ball over. If he does not fix that, he will get benched. Rule #1 in the NFL is to not turn it over. I think Shanahan can really help him with that though.


I don't. for some reason i have little faith that john beck will be able to keep a starting spot in the nfl. i don't think he has it. just an relatively uninformed opinion though.

I'm with you Jonny. Beck started roughly 40 games. And things didn't really click for him until his final 8. He was highly inconsistent up to the TCU game, from which point onward, he was golden. I'm not sure if things will click for him in the NFL without having played in three years. But if they have/do, then the Redskins have potentially a very good QB for the next 5-9 years.
S
stuckinbig10country
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
Beck, like Max Hall, has shown a huge propensity for turning the ball over. If he does not fix that, he will get benched. Rule #1 in the NFL is to not turn it over. I think Shanahan can really help him with that though.


I don't. for some reason i have little faith that john beck will be able to keep a starting spot in the nfl. i don't think he has it. just an relatively uninformed opinion though.

I'm with you Jonny. Beck started roughly 40 games. And things didn't really click for him until his final 8. He was highly inconsistent up to the TCU game, from which point onward, he was golden. I'm not sure if things will click for him in the NFL without having played in three years. But if they have/do, then the Redskins have potentially a very good QB for the next 5-9 years.


I'm actually going to disagree slightly with Jonny and Spiff here. It's not his propensity to turn the ball over, because he wasn't really a TO machine at BYU, but his fear of making a mistake may cost him a shot at making it. The difference in the last 8 games of his college career was he decided not to be Commander Check-down on every play. He took some gambles, starting in the TCU game, and once he got that confidence, he was one of the best college QB's I had ever seen for those 8 games.
J
jonnylingo
stuckinbig10country wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Beck, like Max Hall, has shown a huge propensity for turning the ball over. If he does not fix that, he will get benched. Rule #1 in the NFL is to not turn it over. I think Shanahan can really help him with that though.


I don't. for some reason i have little faith that john beck will be able to keep a starting spot in the nfl. i don't think he has it. just an relatively uninformed opinion though.

I'm with you Jonny. Beck started roughly 40 games. And things didn't really click for him until his final 8. He was highly inconsistent up to the TCU game, from which point onward, he was golden. I'm not sure if things will click for him in the NFL without having played in three years. But if they have/do, then the Redskins have potentially a very good QB for the next 5-9 years.


I'm actually going to disagree slightly with Jonny and Spiff here. It's not his propensity to turn the ball over, because he wasn't really a TO machine at BYU, but his fear of making a mistake may cost him a shot at making it. The difference in the last 8 games of his college career was he decided not to be Commander Check-down on every play. He took some gambles, starting in the TCU game, and once he got that confidence, he was one of the best college QB's I had ever seen for those 8 games.


exactly, its all mental with him. i doubt he ever gets that confidence in the nfl. not with the way the system is set up. hope i am wrong. would love to have a byu qb starting to cheer for.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
He was a turnover machine in Miami. Had 3 picks and 5 fumbles in a short period of time. That is dreadful stuff. By the way, had 1 TD pass in that span. In the NFL, turnovers were his issue. Of course, he played behind a horrible line, but still, that is pretty bad.



As for the Shanahan system, it is WC offense, which calls for quick passes, so that ought to help Beck. Just needs to learn to make plays with things break down. Thus far in his NFL career, that equals a turnover, not a big play.
B
BigCougsFan
In Miami, he played in some rough games. One was against a very stingy Steelers defense. As if that wasn't bad enough... It rained so much they were playing on mud and not a field. You couldn't see their jerseys cause they were covered in mud.



All odds were against him and he didn't have a chance. No one would survive that... Especially a rookie QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.