Archived Topic

Beck the No. 1 Guy for Redskins

by Schmoe · 5/2/2011

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
“Let me say, when John Beck did come out [of college], I had him rated as the top quarterback coming out that year, and I didn’t even think it was close,” said Shanahan, who traded with Baltimore last August to get Beck. “I had a lot of confidence in John Beck when he came out in 2007. I evaluate the quarterbacks every year, and I do have confidence in John Beck. He was by far my No. 1 guy. I think the world of him.”



http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/shanahan-high-on-john-beck/2011/04/30/AFLX5rSF_blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Pretty high praise for Beck from Shannahan throughout the article, great to see our guy getting some love.
T
ThrowbackBlue
Saw a lot of NFL analysts opine after the draft that Beck would be the Redskins day 1 starter since they didn't take or trade for any other QB's.



.....this assuming there is a day 1 in the NFL this year



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
How cool is that? He deserves it.
J
jonnylingo
That is cool but I doubt Beck ever keeps a starting spot. He doesn't have the mental capability to play in the NFL. He has the skills, arm.etc. but he is a mental case under pressure. if somehow a coach were able to stick with him until he got comfortable, he might be okay, but nowadays that doesn't happen.



i am a beck fan but i just don't see him making it in the nfl in any role other than a back up. i hope he proves me wrong.
S
Schmoe
He seemed pretty mentally tough and good under pressure (see-final play vs SNOT) when he led us to that stellar season his senior year. He got thrown to the wolves in Miami and has worked hard and has been getting nothing but praise from coaches and teammates ever since.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Schmoe wrote:
He seemed pretty mentally tough and good under pressure (see-final play vs SNOT) when he led us to that stellar season his senior year. He got thrown to the wolves in Miami and has worked hard and has been getting nothing but praise from coaches and teammates ever since.


i could definitely be wrong. he definitely got comfortable at byu his senior year. Here is to hoping he gets the nod and does something with it.
M
mjk5
jonnylingo wrote:
He seemed pretty mentally tough and good under pressure (see-final play vs SNOT) when he led us to that stellar season his senior year. He got thrown to the wolves in Miami and has worked hard and has been getting nothing but praise from coaches and teammates ever since.


i could definitely be wrong. he definitely got comfortable at byu his senior year. Here is to hoping he gets the nod and does something with it.


I do see what you're saying though. I remember fans calling for change even up until 3 games into his senior campaign when we lost to Boston College. After that game, Beck finally took complete control of the offense and turned out a pretty good year. So it could be that now Beck has had a few years to learn the NFL system and gain confidence that he's ready to take control. If so, there will be a lot of new Mormon Redskins fans
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.