Archived Topic

Are this year's DBs better than we think

by byucougar1 · 4/27/2011

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Gurney tweeted that Brian Logan believes that both 'Buckner and Johnson will be better than him. That says a lot given Brian's tenacity for open field tackling and good coverage. With both these players going neck and neck, we will probably be rotating two deep at this position and quite possibly others. With tight coverage , our DL will have more time to put some severe pressure on the QB which should translate to some easy picks.
Y
YBrit
Brian's open field tackling and knocked passes were so helpful, I trust Brian (utah game was a fluke) and his words aren't any different. Buckner and Johnson are starting younger than Brian did, but a guy like Brian, heck even Cahoon will be key to prepping them for big competition in September.
L
Lawboy
Even the best corners get beat at times. Nature of the position. Not even Deion, Bailey or Revis avoided it. People expect perfection from that position which is ridiculous. So with that in mind, if those guys are as good as Logan, but with more size, I will be psyched because it means BYU can play press coverage at times to mix things up if they want. That adds flexibility to ply calling and a solid dimension to our defense. Along with solid tackling, means our safeties can play more aggressive too. Honestly, means we can be really good on D. 1 lock down corner completely changes a defense.
B
bball
...and more pressure on the QB makes the corners look better too. I have a feeling our 3-4 is going to be better this year than last, that our down linemen will get more pressure, that our LBs will be better and faster, and thus, our corners and safeties will appear better too, and maybe they are better. It's time BYU throws a shutout against Utah, I like the 38-0 score...but I digress.
Y
YBrit
I'm excited to see Eason hit some more QBs off corner blitzes, since Bronco took over we've had more D plays like that since Omarr Morgan and Tim Mcctyre.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Gurney is tweeting that of the 4 CBs that we currently have, all appear to be start-quality...Buckner, JJ, Eason, Hadley. Whew, that should translate to additional pressure on pass-oriented teams besides our 3-4 alignment studs.
C
crh55
I just hope when they get a pick, that they either take a knee or hold on to the ball. I remember yelling at my TV last November, "take a knee, take a knee!" Such a sad moment when that ball was stripped.
S
SpiffCoug
crh55 wrote:
I just hope when they get a pick, that they either take a knee or hold on to the ball. I remember yelling at my TV last November, "take a knee, take a knee!" Such a sad moment when that ball was stripped.

Bradley did take a knee last November. His knee was clearly down and if the replay official hadn't wanted to "make up" for the missed call in the BYU-SDSU game he would have been ruled down and BYU would have won.
B
BYUcougfan
Our inability to get to the QB the last two years made our DBs look more questionable than they reallyu were.
B
beauso79
We'll also have J-Ray, Sampson, Daniel Sorenson, and Mike Hague rotating in at the safety spots. I have a feeling that our secondary could be sick. Sorenson is looking like a faster version of Rich
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
It seems that we will have more depth, if not more talent too, than a typical BYU team. Typical BYU teams have DBs as a weakness - sometimes a glaring weakness. We will be better than that.



But that does not make our DBs spectacular, awesome, or best in the nation or even best in the west - most likely. I hope to be surprised.



The best measure of how good your athletes are is to see how many of them get drafted and where they get drafted. We had some talent, but lacked depth last year and had one weak spot for sure at safety. None of these DBs are going to get drafted in 2012 unless very late.



We only had one player last year on the entire team that had any chance of going early in the draft this year. And he stayed for his senior year in 2011 as I always recommend.



Maybe that is why we struggled mightily last year on both sides of the ball. The convergence of talent and experience is special and I expect to see a strong convergence of talent on both sides of the ball in 2012.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.