Archived Topic

Jared Afalava wants to come to BYU but...

by superchargedcougar · 4/26/2011

Advertisement
S
superchargedcougar
I talked to Bakker Pritchard today and he told me that BYU is definitely where Jared wants to go. There is some bad news though. He doesn't have good enough grades right now. Anybody wanna pay for a tutor so we can get this kid?



I've watched this kid over the last two years and I think he will be better than Langi in College. Of course this is coming from an untrained eye and they play on diferent sides of the ball so...
J
jonnylingo
I agree that he will be better than langi in college. he is a huge get and I think he is probably on the verge of getting a bunch of additional offers from pac12 schools.



We could really use him. I hope that if this is true that somehow things work out but situations like this usually benefit Utah, not BYU. I will be pleasantly surprised if he ends up at BYU.



I am hoping we land ah ching and pau'u as a package deal and then get hansen and/or hinds. that would make missing out on afalava a lot less disappointing.
L
Lawboy
If he does not qualify for BYU, he will not for Utah either. NCAA eligibility is the same across the board. Just might mean he heads to Snow first, then hopefully to BYU. But as johnnylingo said, that route often sees the kid ending up at Utah.
J
jvquarterback
Admission standards are different though. He has the rest of this semester, 2-3 classes for summer school and two semesters next year. He should be able to do it. I'd spring for a tutor.



A friend of mine missed by 10 points on his last SAT and had to go to a JC. He had accepted an offer at :utard: I told him early on if he would change his commitment I would have tutored him.
B
BroncoBot
wait a minute, I thought a big part of the pac-10 taking utah was their strong academics? why is it easier to get into the "u"?
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
NCAA admission standards are uniform. BYU's may be different for the general student body, but exceptions are made for athletes all the time. The issue is going to be whether the kid can keep up while in school or not. If that might be an issue, BYU can choose to pull his offer if he has to go JC. If a kid goes JC, it means he missed the NCAA minimums. Simple as that.

Speaking of kids missing the minimums, anyone hear anything on Jordan Afo?
B
BayAreaCougar
I remembering reading somewhere that Afo was leaving for a mission this summer.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.